PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Case

Jay99400ex
01-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Anyone Know who fixes cracked cases from chain breaks?

01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
jb weld i heard works pretty good depending on how bad it is ;)

Toadz400
01-26-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
jb weld i heard works pretty good depending on how bad it is ;)

From my experience that doesn't seem to work very well. A friend of mine used it twice with his 300ex case and this weekend on the lake it was starting to get real soft and leak.

I would just have an experienced welder try and fix it, of course you're going to have to completely tear your engine apart.

Dalex
01-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Had to split the case on my 300 and have it welded, have ran it for a year now no problems, and it was BADLY busted!

Jay99400ex
01-26-2005, 07:30 PM
JB weld lasts like 3 months, weve been putting it on for a year hehe, the problem is its cracked to the shifter hole so it needs welded and remachined.

Aceman
01-27-2005, 07:43 PM
You have to be very careful welding aluminum cases. Since they are cast sometimes there is crap mixed with the aluminum that makes it difficult to weld. For example, my oil drain plug stripped out and broke a chunk of metal off around the drain plug hole. So, I took it in to a welder had him build it back up again, then ground it flush the the drain plug would seat nice and flat. Needless to say it warped the case since it is so close the edge and now there is a very slight gap between the center cases that leaks oil. Long story short, a good fix costs money so I think your better off with a new case or a good used one.