PDA

View Full Version : thinkin about gettin a quad

js3350z
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
I have a yamaha ttr 125 dirtbike right now, which I have been mostly riding in tight trails, lots of mud (all of which aren't legal)

so anyway, I am getting a trailer so that I can go to organized places with trails wide enough for quads

I am not convinced if I want a quad or a dirtbike (if i go with a dirt bike it will be a kx100) for my next vehicle I have been on a few quads a while ago but am probably going to try it out again pretty soon

so my question is what kind of maintenance do you have to do on the kfx400 or its yellow brother (do you have a lot of engine rebuilds)

with the dirtbikes people try to stay away from the high performance thumpers because of the cost of maintenance and other such things and I don't know if it is the same for quads

thanks for the help

I know this may be a biased opinion on which thread it is in, but which would you get if you wanted the least maintenance, and longest life (kfx400 or the 400ex)

adema
01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
all righty then if you are going to be into trial ridin the z or kfx is the best bet. one is that it has reverse lol comes in handy. no engine problems what so ever yet. i had mine for like a year or two not sure i have an 03 still runs great. only problem for me was that in the winter mine had a hard time startin but after i did my first service on the biek it was all good need new spark plug i think. go for it i got mine for 4999 otd new with papers.

js3350z
01-26-2005, 08:26 PM
how the hell is everybody getting bikes 700 less then MSRP :ermm:

did you pay cash, or did you take an older model year, or :confused:

what did you do

thanks for the help

cds
01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
<< so my question is what kind of maintenance do you have to do on the kfx400 or its yellow brother (do you have a lot of engine rebuilds)>>

The only thing you have to do a lot of on the z is oil changes.
Unless you beat on it.

<< with the dirtbikes people try to stay away from the high performance thumpers because of the cost of maintenance and other such things and I don't know if it is the same for quads >>

The 400ex and z400 are relatively low-cost to maintain.

<< I know this may be a biased opinion on which thread it is in, but which would you get if you wanted the least maintenance, and longest life (kfx400 or the 400ex) >>

I think the 400ex is easier to maintain:
easier to adjust the chain
it is not water cooled (no antifreeze to change)
its air filter is attached in the traditional manner (a band clamp)
the engine is a SOHC, so adjusting valve lash is relatively easy
the ex's carb is easier to tune

The ex's chassis is built in the usual sturdy honda fashion.

That being said, I'd buy the z if I had to pick between the two.

I have the ex and my brother has the z. Both are _great_ quads, IMO, but I really like the sound of the z's DOHC motor at high RPM. My ex makes the characteristic honda SOHC noise when run at high RPM. Most people would have other deciding factors between the two quads, but I'm picky about that kind of stuff.

It's been my experience that you can get those kinds of prices if you buy last year's model and go to a dealer in the right geographical area.

adema
01-28-2005, 09:27 PM
ahh get it out of state you dont have to pay tax duh im located in nj but my pops owns a truck company and he was in oklahoma and picked it up for 4999 cash out the door lol.

js3350z
01-30-2005, 01:38 PM
where in NJ are you, I live right around caldwell, roseland, fairfield

you ride trails or MX?

adema
01-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by js3350z
where in NJ are you, I live right around caldwell, roseland, fairfield

you ride trails or MX?
i live in totowa Nj not to far from you but i dont ride in nj maybe englishtown but i usually go to walden or frost. but ride trails in upstate NY.

js3350z
01-31-2005, 01:54 PM
i know where totowa is, you ever go to the bike show at that strip club

all the rice burners do lots of wheelies leaving there