PDA

View Full Version : works shocks question

Fred
01-26-2005, 12:54 PM
I was wondering what weight of oil i should be running in my front works Is 7wt to thick and also what psi of nitrogen should i run?

DaleJrFan
01-26-2005, 04:01 PM
sorry man, i have never serviced mine or known anyone to service their own shocks. just always send them in to be re-built. call works and ask them.

quadmxracer
01-26-2005, 07:11 PM
This what I do when I do suspension for the most part.

Works Shock Rebuild Steps

Yes when I had works shocks I rebuilt them my self about 4 times.
Its not really hard but it can be messy. I'll tell you how I did it.
1. First what I did was let all the nitrogen out.
2. Now mount your shock right side up like you would on your quad in a vice (be careful not to tight to hard or you'll ruin your eyelet) and take and back off all the preload off at the top. Should be a ring and a circlip there.
3. Now flip it upside down and compress your springs enough to where you can take off the retainer clip and it should remove off the shaft.
4. Now what I do here is take off the big spring and for the upper spring(s) is take a piece of wire and put through them to keep all the spacers and such in the order they came off.
5. Now you since you have take all the nitrogen out and springs off, now your ready to remove the internals and oil. You will need a spanner wrench to take out the bottom plate as its treaded in there. *NOTE* you may need to heat it up a little bit depending on how long its been since they were last assembled.
6. Now that you have that out you can pull the shaft assembly out it will have your shim pack and piston all bolted on to it as one piece.
7. Dump the old oil out.
8. Depending if you have reservoir shocks or not (that’s what I had and that’s where I’m coming from on this) you now will want to get a socket about the same size as the plate that the bladder in your reservoir is attached to and lightly tap it down with a hammer just enough to clear the clip that’s in there.
9. Remove your clip and pull the bladder assembly out. Leave the hose hooked up that way its in the same direction it was when it came off.
10. Now clean all your parts up with brake clean or better yet solvent. *NOTE* Be careful with any o-rings and bladder it may swell if it gets in contact w/the solvent.
11. Now that everything’s clean clamp the shock body back in the vice, and pour shock fluid in through the reservoir and let it flow into the body of the shock till its fairly full now insert the shaft/piston assembly in the body.
12. Thread the plate back in hand tight for now. Work the shaft up/down pushing the bubbles out through the open reservoir adding more fluid as needed. You should feel it move consistent with out and jerkiness as that would mean that there’s still air in there. Now top off the reservoir after you have bled it out. Now insert the bladder and cap assembly and it may be hard to push down to get the clip back in but that’s ok make sure the shaft has been pulled back out all way (not out of the body though) that way the oil can flow into the body to make room for the bladder.
13. Once you have that done make sure to check and see if the shaft/piston moves good and smooth. If so tighten down the plate and assemble the springs and such in the opposite way they came off.
14. I usually put about 225 to 250 psi of Nitrogen in mine.

DaleJrFan
01-26-2005, 07:16 PM
awesome plan, think i will try it before i have them re-built again.