PDA

View Full Version : 450R carb on a Ex??

QuadJunkies
01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Will it work??? what MM is the R carb??? Will in work nicely with a 426 or a 440ex??
Whats a 450r carb go for these days used??

Im searching for a carb but dont have alot of dough to spend but this will give me something to work on .... ;)

29FTEX
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Here are some dyno runs done with stock 400ex carb, 39mm FCR, and 450R stock carb 42mm. You can get a new 450R carb for about $165 or so at Service Honda.

Click Here (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4150&hl=400ex)

olimj
01-26-2005, 04:35 PM
You beat me to it 29FTEX, I was just about to post the same link! I just picked up a "brand-new" take-off carb for $100 from the forsale forum. I'm planning to combine this with a 440 Powroll stroker, Pro Circuit header, and stock 450r exhaust w/ HRC for a sleeper project. Looking to have a good torque climber for the dunes in a nice quiet package.

fastbikes
01-26-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey Tina if the 450r carb will work on you 400 let me know, I could talk to Dan to see if he wants to sell ours :D

Rico
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
I"ve been told it's not a simple bolt up procedure and takes some time making it work..:cool:

QuadJunkies
01-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by fastbikes
Hey Tina if the 450r carb will work on you 400 let me know, I could talk to Dan to see if he wants to sell ours :D :eek: REALLY????????!!!!!

Rico~~~ What all does it entail??? I was toold it might not work on an EX due to hot start controls??

Rico
01-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
:eek: REALLY????????!!!!!

Rico~~~ What all does it entail??? I was toold it might not work on an EX due to hot start controls??

This same question has been asked and answered by Laz at you know were...:cool:

sickmojave
01-27-2005, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Rico
This same question has been asked and answered by Laz at you know were...:cool:

sorry but I can't find it..:confused:

olimj
01-27-2005, 09:10 AM
The hot start just needs to be removed and plugged. All the info you need to do the install is available here (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4150&hl=400ex&st=30), complete with pictures. He CNC'd an aluminum air boot adapter (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4231), while I've heard of others who just cut the stock boot diameter larger and/or softened it up to install

QuadJunkies
01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
SAAWWEET!!! Thank you sooo much for the info!!
Rico, Ill check it out also... :D ;)

Fastbikes, let me know when(or if) your selling!!!! :blah:
and tell the Fam. good luck at the Staduim race this wk end!

fastbikes
01-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Fastbikes, let me know when(or if) your selling!!!! :blah:
and tell the Fam. good luck at the Staduim race this wk end!

You let me know when ya want it, I got my Edelbrock yesterday in the mail....so know all I have to do is have Dan put it on....

44oEX
01-27-2005, 11:58 AM
I have it on the 500ex. I don't know why rico says it's a hard thing to do. it's a very simple mod. here you go

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133461

QuadJunkies
01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by fastbikes
You let me know when ya want it, I got my Edelbrock yesterday in the mail....so know all I have to do is have Dan put it on.... Sweet!! I didnt know you wre getting a brock for the R !!! :cool: let me know what your selling it for and Ill start saving up !:blah:

QuadJunkies
01-27-2005, 01:14 PM
SO....... what would this do to my 440ex????:D (yes.thats right , I now have a 440!!:macho )

I REALLY want to do this mod! this will prol . be the last mod I do to my quad aside of a new Axle....

I have one Avail. to me if I want it :) I currently have for mods:

12.5.1 JE piston
HotCam stg 2
GT Thunder Rev Box
Jetting is at 185
45 pilot
2 xtra turns on the mixeer screw
Temps get around the 20's when we race

Rico
01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
I have it on the 500ex. I don't know why rico says it's a hard thing to do. it's a very simple mod. here you go

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133461

How well does it work when under power and starting the quad up??

Wonder if it would work with a oversized gas tank???

I'd like to look into this if it is as easy as you say. I just don't want to waste my time because it fits and looks good but performance goes down the toilet, know what i mean?? I read on another site that it doesn't want to idle very well and you can't hit the throttle while it's warming up, etc, etc. If it can't mount up rather easily, is reliable and won't fall off when hammering thru whoops 3 foot deep or 30 miles from the truck and work great from the get go I don't want it...:cool:

yfz450admirer
01-27-2005, 01:35 PM
This is what the carb will do for a 440EX-----------
The installation isn't that hard--just use a dremel tool on the air boot entry.
I rode Dumont this last weekend with my Trinity 440EX with aftermarket carburetor(42mm). Here are some results at competition hill. Beat various 450R's that were stock, end cap removed and re-jetted, Big Gun Pipe, and other after-market exhausts. Some 450R's beat me, but less than half. There was 1-450R that was beating everyone. Beat various piped Raptors, some Predators, however I did get beat by some of those with modifications unknown. I stayed close, 2-3 bike lengths with DS650's. I beat like 4 YFZ's stock and piped, but the majority of the machines destroyed me. Beat some Banshees. There were a ton of 450R's there which surprised me. One of the funniest things on the week-end was when a guy on a piped 450R called me out----but he would only race me if we started half-way up the hill, past the whoops. A hill without whoops, what a joke!! Needless to say I beat him, when I started at the base of the hill and he started half-way up the hill. I was thinking about purchasing a 450R, but many seemed to have difficulty navigating the whoops and their power output was not much more than the 400EX. I ride mostly track and some dunes. Any input?

Flynbryan19
01-27-2005, 01:48 PM
SO....... what would this do to my 440ex????:D (yes.thats right , I now have a 440!!:macho )

I REALLY want to do this mod! this will prol . be the last mod I do to my quad aside of a new Axle....

I have one Avail. to me if I want it :) I currently have for mods:

12.5.1 JE piston
HotCam stg 2
GT Thunder Rev Box
Jetting is at 185
45 pilot
2 xtra turns on the mixeer screw
Temps get around the 20's when we race

OOO.......? 440? When did this happen? :D Your gonna have a nastier quad than Troy if you keep it up. You make sure and get some video of that thing runin' when its time to race it again.

QuadJunkies
01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
OOO.......? 440? When did this happen? :D Your gonna have a nastier quad than Troy if you keep it up. You make sure and get some video of that thing runin' when its time to race it again. I just got it on Sun. :D It was a belated Bday gift from all the gang "Fastbikes" I cant thank them enough for doing that for me.... :)

Im like Rico, we want something that can hold upto WORCS racing ect. w/o falling off, its a raced quad not just duning and casual riding....

Im REALLY exctied to try this carb!:cool:

44oEX
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Well RICO an QJ hear you go lol

Some people just warm up the intake boot with warm ( boilling water ) and then jam the carb in there. it might work but that will pop out. So don't do it

The right way to do it is like yfz450admirer said ( i told him how )
take the intake boot off of the motor. then use a dremel or sand paper ( slower but cheaper then a dremel lol) or grinding rock on a drill or something, and make the hole in the boot a little bigger. don't go to big. On mine I still have to fight it a little to make it go in but it's just cause I got sick of sanding :D . ones you have the hole the size you what ( make sure it's round so it won't leak ) put the intake back on the motor then work on the boot that goes from the air box to the carb. That one is a little harder cause it's only a thin wall, so you don't want to take to much out. Take out a couple mm if you can force the carb i then you good.

One's that is done you basicly done. see it's not hard it just takes a little time to get it the right size. The only problem I got was that the stock choke lever ( 450R ) it will NOT clear the gas line ( use the 450 one just cut it a little sorter so it won't kink. and use a small clamp to hold it on the petcock) The choke thing is not that big of a deal. you don't need it for summer riding. I have to have one ( I made a costom one ) but it's only cause the winter wheater is around -10 to -20

You can use ( you have to ) the stock 450R gas cable with the EX's trottle.

Rico
01-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by 44oEX
Well RICO an QJ hear you go lol

Some people just warm up the intake boot with warm ( boilling water ) and then jam the carb in there. it might work but that will pop out. So don't do it

The right way to do it is like yfz450admirer said ( i told him how )
take the intake boot off of the motor. then use a dremel or sand paper ( slower but cheaper then a dremel lol) or grinding rock on a drill or something, and make the hole in the boot a little bigger. don't go to big. On mine I still have to fight it a little to make it go in but it's just cause I got sick of sanding :D . ones you have the hole the size you what ( make sure it's round so it won't leak ) put the intake back on the motor then work on the boot that goes from the air box to the carb. That one is a little harder cause it's only a thin wall, so you don't want to take to much out. Take out a couple mm if you can force the carb i then you good.

One's that is done you basicly done. see it's not hard it just takes a little time to get it the right size. The only problem I got was that the stock choke lever ( 450R ) it will NOT clear the gas line ( use the 450 one just cut it a little sorter so it won't kink. and use a small clamp to hold it on the petcock) The choke thing is not that big of a deal. you don't need it for summer riding. I have to have one ( I made a costom one ) but it's only cause the winter wheater is around -10 to -20

You can use ( you have to ) the stock 450R gas cable with the EX's trottle.

I"ll be looking into this real soon and letting you know how I like it and my thoughts of the entire process and performance gains. Thanks for the info man............:chinese:

44oEX
01-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Know for how it runs. well yes Rico if you give it gas when it's warming up it will stall. But that is kind of a good thing. you have to let the motor warm up before you ride anyway right.

But as you don't have to give it any gas anyway. unlike most quads I've seen, one's it starts it will run on it's own with no gas and it won't stall on it's own. ( if you jetting is any good ). Mine runs really smooth on idle. and it's a 500 stroker with a wild grind cam. so it sould be even better on a normal size motor ( 400-440)
and the idle is smooth from cold start up all the way up to the end of a couple hour run.

One's the jetting was good the trottle risponce is really good. I can give it full trottle when idling and it will rev up right away. as long as you pilot screw is set properly you won't have any problem. if it's not well then it will complain a little but I mean it's normal if the jetting is off.

speaking of jetting. I was having trouble with the stock carb on the 500. I could just not get it like I wanted. it was always complaining. well the 450 carb is easy to jet and even if you are not spot on with the main or needle it's no big deal. ( well it is but I mean it will still run good so check the plug. )

And as for falling of I didn't have any problem yet. and this is not a show quad it is riden hard. and no dunes it's a rough trail and pit ( jumps ) riding. just make sure the boot is not to tight. And put the clamp pretty tight. but I would not worry about the carb falling off.

I think I awnsered all the Q?'s if I misted any let me know.

oh and for jetting start of with a stock pilot jet and something around 170 for the 440. then work from there.

44oEX
01-27-2005, 06:11 PM
custom choke

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid153/pcd6b18360272bc6298a177229d033903/f5919b89.jpg

side. you can see the sorter gas line and the clamp I used. And how tigh the choke is
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid153/p72ee5b2348811cf076dd64a6737e4437/f5919b83.jpg

QuadJunkies
01-27-2005, 08:21 PM
EXCELLENT informative thread!! Thank again ;)

Now I just hope the temps dont get as cold as they were the last few races!!:grr:

throwinitup
01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
EXCELLENT informative thread!! Thank again ;)
:

yes, thank you much!! i hope to try this out! sounds alot better than spending 400-500 on a edlebrock or FCR

THANK YOU

LS@GtThunder
01-28-2005, 04:05 AM
We ran the 450R carb on Brandons bike for part of the year - It works very well - there are several isssues that need to be addressed if you want to to have long term trouble free use. If you want to slap it on and go thats fine but not on my bike.

1. Intake to head - take a new one and heat it up to stretch it to the new carb - an older one will tear much quicker - sometimes you will see small tears starting after only a few rides.

2. Top vent - must be cut of, plugged and the side vent must be drilled so the top of the carb is vented properly. I welded the top vent shut but I know a few guys that drilled and tapped it and then installed a plug.

3. Back side - to smooth for the 400ex boot to stay installed correctly - either install an adapter like Mixxer shows in his setup or - I chucked it up in the lathe and machined a new lip on the back for the intake boot to clamp to - I then heated the intake boot and stretched it over that and clamped it in place. If you do it this way - you need to move the airbox forward about an inch.

4. Top of carb - it will rub the tank eventually - I installed a truck cap foam tape to the top of the carb.

5. Fuel line - the 450R fuel line needs to be cut and an adapter installed so you can pivot it for a relaxed fit. I machined an adatper from brass for this.

6. Jetting - we ran a 52 pilot, 190 main, #4 on needle.

44oEX
01-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Ok well you said it will tear the boot.well there is a easy fix for that. Like I said don't warm it and make it fit. it will rip. use a dremel and make the hole bigger. as for the airbox boot. You don't need a adapter just make the hole bigger.

the gas line will work fine. just cut it a little to make it shorter and it will not kink. you don'T need any adapter. just use a screw clamp the hose will not leak. I did not remove or plug the the vent hose. yes it does hit the tank but not really bad it won't hurt anything.

UglyMotha™
01-28-2005, 06:47 AM
the carb will wear a hole in your tank after a while, and if your quad gets as many hours logged on it as brandon's does then it probably wouldn't take no time at all

44oEX
01-28-2005, 08:23 AM
ok so just put a foam in between. No big deal.

honda92
11-08-2005, 06:08 PM
i just got my 450r carb on, cut and plugged the top vent, plugged the hotstart, and made a spacer for the airbox boot. installation was very simple, a little bit of lube and it slid right into the intake boot on the head without a problem. got to ride it today, i dont think it is a huge improvment over the stock carb on a bone stock engine. it seems to run better than the stock one though, before when it was cold if i didnt feather the throttle it would die out instantly with the choke on or not.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a62/Honda92/450rcarb.jpg

QuadJunkies
11-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Ive had nothing but GREAT results with mine!! It made a GOOD gain on my 440 and have had no problems really with it since the install.:)