PDA

View Full Version : oil coolers

youngdawg
01-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Anyone ever get an oil cooler from a parts store for a 400ex?
modded the motor an want to cool it down a little more.

youngdawg
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Got to be somebody?

UglyMotha™
01-27-2005, 12:42 PM
an oil cooler really doesn't cool a motor enough to fool with it

markk
01-27-2005, 01:12 PM
actully i heard last year that four stroke tech. Had an oil cooler that oversized, And i heard that u drilled a hole in your valve cover and it had a line that deliverd cold oil right to your cam.

Has anyone else heard of this, I heard about it threw a buddie who reads up on stuff all the time.

UglyMotha™
01-27-2005, 01:27 PM
it's been around for several years, yes i does keep the cam running cooler, how ever it doesn't make the engine run any cooler, just pretty much reverses the oil cycle to a point instead of hot oil hitting the cam last, it's getting cool oil splashed on it first

wilkin250r
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
It won't really make your motor run cooler, but then again, why does your motor need to run cooler?

Overheating can cause several problems. The first, and probably largest, is overheating the piston, causing it to melt, or causing it to expand bigger than the cylinder. There's not much you can do about this, even with a water-cooled engine, because the water isn't cooling the piston, it's cooling the cylinder. Radiator, oil-cooler, nothing is going to help, you just need to make sure you have your jetting right.

The other problem with overheating is lubrication. As oil tempuratures rise, the oil can break down, and no longer lubricates parts. The camshaft is one of the most important, because the whole transmission is sitting in an oil bath, so it's much better lubricated. Cool oil on the camshaft can radically prolong camshaft life, and will also allow your engine to get hotter with less danger.

markk
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
It won't really make your motor run cooler, but then again, why does your motor need to run cooler?

Overheating can cause several problems. The first, and probably largest, is overheating the piston, causing it to melt, or causing it to expand bigger than the cylinder. There's not much you can do about this, even with a water-cooled engine, because the water isn't cooling the piston, it's cooling the cylinder. Radiator, oil-cooler, nothing is going to help, you just need to make sure you have your jetting right.

The other problem with overheating is lubrication. As oil tempuratures rise, the oil can break down, and no longer lubricates parts. The camshaft is one of the most important, because the whole transmission is sitting in an oil bath, so it's much better lubricated. Cool oil on the camshaft can radically prolong camshaft life, and will also allow your engine to get hotter with less danger.

Thats what my understanding was alos, But even though the jetting is correct, I was looking into the oil cooler for my 400 for when i put my 4mm stroke crank in and an 87mm piston, That is as far as i can go with a stock Cylinder so thats y i was worried about the oil gettting too hot before it hit the cam. after it made it all the way threw the jug and head into the cam housings!

oste
02-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Xr's Only has a big fin head mod that is suppose to lower engine temps. www.xrsonly.com . Pricey though $250.00.

Originally posted by markk
Thats what my understanding was alos, But even though the jetting is correct, I was looking into the oil cooler for my 400 for when i put my 4mm stroke crank in and an 87mm piston, That is as far as i can go with a stock Cylinder so thats y i was worried about the oil gettting too hot before it hit the cam. after it made it all the way threw the jug and head into the cam housings!