PDA

View Full Version : how much oil

dodgeram14jr
01-26-2005, 10:55 AM
when i bought my kawasaki kfx 400 it did not come with a manual. so i don't know how much oil to put in. can anyone tell me how much oil to use. and what is a good oil filter to use. and how often do you change the filter. thanks

Brown450R
02-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Go get an owners manual, or better yet a Clymer repair manual. I change my oil every week if I am beating it hard or racing. I change the filter every other week. Now, if you are just trail riding, maybe once a month would do it? Or maybe less. According to my service manual, you should change the oil and filter every six months. Clean the air cleaner every 3 months. I would personally clean the air filter after every ride if it was dusty.
For the oil change, get your filter from your kawasaki dealer. If you change the oil and filter, it will require 2.2 quarts of oil. There are two drain plugs for draining the oil. The one on the engine is a 14mm, and the one on the oil tank is a 12mm. Don't loose the washers. When you are changing the filter, be aware of the rubber o-ring that fits between the filter and the engine. It will move around sometimes, so just push it back where it belongs. I use 10w40 Suzuki 4stroke oil, or Honda 4stroke oil. It doesnt' really matter, as long as it is for a 4 stroke motorcycle.