PDA

View Full Version : oil

dodgeram14jr
01-26-2005, 06:15 AM
can you run mobile 1 20-50 red cap oil in my kfx 400

Duncan313
01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
As good as Mobile 1 is for an automobile it would not be a good choice for your quad. Automotive oil is not designed to handle the additional gears that are in your quad. The oil in your quad has to lubricate the crank, cylinder, valve train and the transmission. I recommend looking for an oil that is specific to motorcycles synthetic or not. If you choose to use an automotive oil I would change that oil twice as frequently as you would a motorcycle specific oil. Personally I like Golden Spectro 10-40.

300exOH
01-26-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Duncan313
As good as Mobile 1 is for an automobile it would not be a good choice for your quad. Automotive oil is not designed to handle the additional gears that are in your quad. The oil in your quad has to lubricate the crank, cylinder, valve train and the transmission. I recommend looking for an oil that is specific to motorcycles synthetic or not. If you choose to use an automotive oil I would change that oil twice as frequently as you would a motorcycle specific oil. Personally I like Golden Spectro 10-40.

In most cases you are right BUT the Mobile 1 red cap is safe for wet clutch applications. Almost everyone I know uses the stuff including myself with zero problems. It also stays clean much longer than conventional oils I've tried. Just make sure you use the red cap only. The other oils contain friction modifiers which will cause a wet clutch to slip.

01-26-2005, 09:48 AM
red cap mobile 1 is the best

Duncan313
01-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
In most cases you are right BUT the Mobile 1 red cap is safe for wet clutch applications. Almost everyone I know uses the stuff including myself with zero problems. It also stays clean much longer than conventional oils I've tried. Just make sure you use the red cap only. The other oils contain friction modifiers which will cause a wet clutch to slip.

I may have to rethink my statment, it is possible that I need to catch up on the latest tech. This link http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm has some good info of the Auto vs. MC oil debat. Looks like I might try that Mobil 1 myself.

300exOH
01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
It's good stuff. :cool: What you said is generally true about other Mobile 1(non red cap) oils because they are intended for cars. The red cap is the only one I know to be safe for atv's/bikes. I still wish they would make a 10w-40 version for colder climates.

RideRed250ex
02-01-2005, 09:53 PM
[i] I still wish they would make a 10w-40 version for colder climates. [/B]

Thats the only reason i didnt buy it cause its winter and I've heard its hard starting below 20 degrees with 15w-30 or whatever it comes in.

03dynasty
02-04-2005, 09:27 PM
you could get rotella synthetic it comes in 5w-40