PDA

View Full Version : Clutchless shifting?

acesfull
01-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Ok I just bought my first quad and surprise it is a 400ex. I noticed that I don't have to use the clutch to shift. Is this bad for it does it hurt anything. I have a class A license and I drive a diesel truck to and from the job site and I don't use the clutch on those. So I was wondering what is the deal?

nosliw
01-25-2005, 09:00 PM
just let off the throttle when shifting clutchless and everything's fine. fully syncronised.

FLAMETIP
01-25-2005, 10:48 PM
You should be OK. I ride down in Baja and the only time I use the clutch is when I take off the rest of the time I go clutchless

TheFontMaster
01-25-2005, 10:56 PM
You won't hurt anything as long as you use the clutch when you take off, and when you down shift. I heard it can harm the transmission in both those situations.

Chef
01-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Obviously when you take off use the clutch...and I use it when downshifting unless the RPMs are way down. When upshifting, it is possible to shift clutchless without even letting off on the EX...I did it for a long time. I started shifting, WFO, by flipping the clutch lever and clickin the shifter at the same time, and not letting off...I consistently kick peoples butts with faster bikes using that technique...it might be hard on stuff, but I didnt have any trouble with it. These shift alot easier than a truck does...and those aren't hard. You are definitely not hurting anything. Just make sure you shift it firmly-going between gears is NOT a good thing.

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:27 AM
It always shifts easy going up, but going down always seemed a little harder so I use the clutch downshifting as well.

6arett
01-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Isn't "clutchless shifting" also called Speed shifting?

sampleez
01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
i'm not so sure about that. my buddy races FT on his 465ex, and he's went through TWO new tranny's in about two years, and he only uses the clutch on take-offs. i know i sure wouldn't do it, but wtf, it's ur bike. also, i may be mistaken, but speed shifting is where you don't let off the throttle when you shift. i'm pretty sure about this b/c i heard on the rekluse, you have to let off b/t shifts.

js3350z
01-26-2005, 05:33 PM
"power shifting" is when the jap bikes are on one wheel goin through the gears:D

397ccEX
01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
My friends bike seized up due to clutchless shifting

Jay99400ex
01-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I have a bad habit of clutchless shifting, I ruined my shift barrel in my banshee, now i'm tearing apart my EX, feels like a bent shift fork, I'm not saying it caused it but some ppl say it does after this i'm using my clutch from now on :) my uncles drag banshee has its gears cut for clutchless shifting it cost quite a bit.

johnnydufus
01-27-2005, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by sampleez
i'm not so sure about that. my buddy races FT on his 465ex, and he's went through TWO new tranny's in about two years, and he only uses the clutch on take-offs. i know i sure wouldn't do it, but wtf, it's ur bike. also, i may be mistaken, but speed shifting is where you don't let off the throttle when you shift. i'm pretty sure about this b/c i heard on the rekluse, you have to let off b/t shifts.

i'm with you on this one, i wont shift without a clutch because its not hard to do it and i dont want to tear up my bike

6arett
01-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Jay99400ex
I have a bad habit of clutchless shifting, I ruined my shift barrel in my banshee, now i'm tearing apart my EX, feels like a bent shift fork, I'm not saying it caused it but some ppl say it does after this i'm using my clutch from now on :) my uncles drag banshee has its gears cut for clutchless shifting it cost quite a bit.

how much did it cost em?

mx8
01-27-2005, 07:10 PM
The clutch is on there for a reason use it.:huh

6arett
01-27-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by mx8
The clutch is on there for a reason use it.:huh

It's used to take off, DUH..:macho

cant400exbeatit
01-28-2005, 10:42 AM
i agree, the clutch was put on there for a reason.......and not only to take off with..................if you guys like your bikes, then i would suggest not clutchless shifting. unless you don't care and plan on putting new gears in your tranny sometime soon.

NX400EX
01-29-2005, 01:56 PM
I cannot believe the people who shift without a clutch. If yall only knew what kind of harm that does to the drivetrain. For your 400ex's sake please shift with a clutch

Chef
01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
For all of you who "think" you know that its bad for things, wake up. I've been doing it for 5 years with NO problems related to it.

kickin440
01-29-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Chef
For all of you who "think" you know that its bad for things, wake up. I've been doing it for 5 years with NO problems related to it.

Same here bought mine brand new in 99 never had to change a thing and it very seldom gets used other than for the take off.

397ccEX There is no way clutchless shifting could have seized an engine.

sampleez
01-29-2005, 06:18 PM
i guess my buddy's trannys were suicidal and just broke themselves then....... :huh like i said, do whatever you want, but i guarantee your drivetrain will last longer if you ride it like it was designed!!

kickin440
01-29-2005, 06:31 PM
i guess my buddy's trannys were suicidal and just broke themselves then....... :huh like i said, do whatever you want, but i guarantee your drivetrain will last longer if you ride it like it was designed!!

I guess maybe we got the only bikes with special steel in the tranny that keeps them from breaking.:confused:
Maybe he should try to find some better gears.:confused:

mazur213
12-15-2006, 08:39 AM
clutchless shifting dosent hurt a thing if you know what your doing if you hold it wide open and try to shift its oviously gonna ruin your tranny but if you let off and it shifts easy then its not hurting a thing and if anything its making your clutch plates last longer for those who want to do this wide open buy a shift kill interrupt this link is a dyna fs ignition kit http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=116&productId=p200996&leafCatId=11603&mmyId=

blown331
12-15-2006, 08:45 AM
yep "speed shifting" is keeping the throttle pinned, shifting without letting off. I do this with the clutch only seldomly because it isn't the best for drivetrain. However, when im cruising the trails or through a woop section or whatnot ill shift without the clutch and ease up just a tad before shifting and then get back on it. I find myself clicking up a bit harder doing this to ensure it doesn't get caught between gears. My 400 feels smooth as butter while not using the clutch..

12-15-2006, 09:29 AM
I often shift clutchless by accident. I forget to pull the clutch.

Seems like if you are smooth about it, it shouldn't harm anything.

But if you are banging gears you'll damage things.

When I've done it shifting clutchless has been as smooth as with the clutch.

Ruby Soho
12-15-2006, 10:09 AM
i use the clutch, cant hurt it and i dont wanna risk it

mattn03
12-15-2006, 10:43 AM
What does the owners manual recommend?

Rootar
12-15-2006, 10:46 AM

i have a reklue in my hybrid and its amazing i still use the clutch on take off and in tight corners but draging this thing is great once you get going. but on the start it can mess with your timing with the gates, ill be taking mine out come race season though i cant get the timing down for starts with it.

12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by mattn03
What does the owners manual recommend?

What do you THINK the lawyers say about clutchless shifting?

:D

mattn03
12-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by garandman
What do you THINK the lawyers say about clutchless shifting?

lol, excellent point!

†2005 400ex†
12-15-2006, 12:18 PM
clutchless shifting is NOT harmfull if you do it RIGHT. You must let off a little bit to where the engine is not under accellerating load before you do it, this is usuallonly about an 1/8th of throttle, if you dont you will replace the tranny within months i guarrentee it

bsjoe
12-15-2006, 12:19 PM
i hold it at WOT and tap the clutch when shifting, I dont see how people think its that much better when it hurts your trans while mine doesn't and I think it works just as well if not better.

†2005 400ex†
12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
your basically speed shifting, im talkin about holding WOT without clutch

12-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by †2005 400ex†
clutchless shifting is NOT harmfull if you do it RIGHT. , if you dont you will replace the tranny within months i guarrentee it

Do it wrong, and your tranny will look like this guy...

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/BDX/BDX311/bxp56079.jpg

aaronqjones
12-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Can you clutchless shift with the raptor 660? I have forgotten to use the clutch before and it is smooth and harmless, as far as I can tell. I let off, but don't pull in the clutch.

mazur213
12-15-2006, 02:00 PM
j

†2005 400ex†
12-15-2006, 05:53 PM
you can do it on any manual quad....if you do it right, that picture is hilarious

scruff_mcruff
12-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by NX400EX
I cannot believe the people who shift without a clutch. If yall only knew what kind of harm that does to the drivetrain. For your 400ex's sake please shift with a clutch and if the people saying its bad had a actual idea on how a tranny works youd realize how stupid you sound. these trannies dont have syncros they have dog teeth. read some websites like G-force or liberty transmissions and came back with a better idea what your talking about.

scruff_mcruff
12-15-2006, 06:13 PM
i'm not so sure about that. my buddy races FT on his 465ex, and he's went through TWO new tranny's in about two years, and he only uses the clutch on take-offs. i know i sure wouldn't do it, but wtf, it's ur bike. also, i may be mistaken, but speed shifting is where you don't let off the throttle when you shift. i'm pretty sure about this b/c i heard on the rekluse, you have to let off b/t shifts. im pretty sure your buddies problem was more with the bigger motor and downshifting hard going into turns. dont try and blame it on clutchless shifting.

TWEP
12-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Alright...dont believe me ask Santo and his Mech. he does same work on my quad. Every year hes complaining about Santo not using clutch, at the very least you gonna mess up your shifter fork...again ask around im not lieing.. lol you will mess up your tranny...........heh:grr:

exrider2001red
12-20-2006, 11:14 AM
this is the first time i have heard of it hurting ne thing. but i only clutchless shift while dragging or wheeliing oh and when i broke my clutch cable. but im pretty sure it doesnt hurt anything cause i drove my bike for a week without a clutch cable and it still shifts good

Ncboost
12-20-2006, 03:05 PM
On my street bike i have 40k miles on it and i rarely use the clutch and still shifts perfect. These trans are the same way and I agree with scruff_mcruff