PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption?

acesfull
01-25-2005, 08:23 PM
I just bought a 2005 trx400ex and I love it as most people do. I put WB E-series exhaust K&N Filter and Power Lid and have already rejetted it (148 to 170 nice brown color on the porecelin of the plug). Anyways I broke it in for the first couple of hours around my property. Then I went up to Miami Trails (near Yosemite CA) with a friend of mine and rode for about four maybe five hours. When I came back home I checked the oil, but it was low. Is due to the engine being new or did I not break it in properly or what?

crazyelece
01-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Did you check it before? Don't assume the dealer put the corect amount in. Just make sure the oil level isn't dropping. Check before and after next ride. Also is low below the line. The perfect spot is half way up the cross hatched section (between the two lines). I have always been told not to add until it gets below the low line and never fill all the way up to the high line because its just as bad to have too much.

acesfull
01-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Yes I checked it before I went riding (I always do). In the owners manual it says that the oil level should be at the top of the cross hatched markings, so that is where it was before I went riding. But when I came back it was halfway down the cross hatched section.

crazyelece
01-25-2005, 08:41 PM
was it the first time it was started, maybe the oil filter spot, or oil cooler, hadn't been filled yet. Anyway I'd just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't fall below the lower line. If its that new and it keeps falling take it back under warranty.

acesfull
01-25-2005, 08:44 PM
No I warmed it up for five mins like they say to in the owners manual then checked it. Still halfway down the cross hatched mark. What do I demand when/if I take it back for warranty?

acesfull
01-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Does anybody else have any suggestions to as what it might be?

crazyelece
01-25-2005, 09:03 PM
Just tell them that its using oil somewhere and that you have to continually fill it. You will probably have to give it some time though. Maybe two or three rides. Just keep a close eye on it, checking every 15 to 20 mins at first, lengthening time if it stops using oil.

acesfull
01-25-2005, 09:44 PM
Has anyone else had this preoblem with their 400exs?

86GN
01-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Have you changed the oil yet?

If not you probably have enough hours on it to do the first oil change.

It is difficult to get an accurate oil level reading on a dry sump motor. If its within the marks I wouldn't worry about it. If its using much oil you will have some blue smoke or some other indication.