PDA

View Full Version : PT Cruiser- SC or Turbo?

Prazak250EX
01-25-2005, 08:14 PM
My friend's got a 2001 Cruiser and he wants to mod it so it's a bit faster. I don't blame him, as the Cruiser in stock trim feels like it's got a Briggs 'n Stratton go cart motor in it. I don't really know how the car responds to mods but I'm thinking a turbo would be the best way to go. The SC kit he's lookin at is 4000 bucks and it's about a 47% hp gain. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Prazak:devil:

quadrcr161
01-25-2005, 08:46 PM
tell him to save his money and buy a car with more potential. they are heavy and not really worth modding. they come fith a fctory turbo insome models but they are still slow. plus you can only go the speed limit anyway.

Honda4trax250x
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
i agree, none of the above

tell him to buy a new car

Bush0102
01-25-2005, 09:43 PM
knock some sense into him by slapping him in the face, remind him it's a PT cruiser, and tell him to save his money to buy a V8 sports car.

toby400ex
01-25-2005, 10:27 PM
You should actually be a little scared around ur buddy, after what you said Id be afraid he would wanna **** me.

LazeR
01-25-2005, 11:03 PM
To actually be on the serious note here. I would go with a supercharger. You have to wait for a turbo to spool up, and have lag. If you are looking for the best power all around i would go with a SC, if you're looking for drag racing, then a turbo would be better suited.

nosliw
01-25-2005, 11:36 PM
modern turbo lag time is basically nothing compared to older ones

i would go with the supercharger anyway

MOFO
01-26-2005, 04:37 AM
I agree with everyone else... get a new car.

To answer the question, I would suggest a turbo. People talk about turbo lag, but if you know how to drive or set it up properly, you'll never notice it. Also a turbo seems to create more power and it takes NO power away to run it... unlike a supercharger which becomes another accessory on the belt.

Bush0102
01-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
I agree with everyone else... get a new car.

To answer the question, I would suggest a turbo. People talk about turbo lag, but if you know how to drive or set it up properly, you'll never notice it. Also a turbo seems to create more power and it takes NO power away to run it... unlike a supercharger which becomes another accessory on the belt.

well said. superchargers are good in some applications, but they are taxing and require a belt, which of course is going to eventually break.

My roomate just bought an intake manifold with a built in blower for his 95 5.0 GT...that thing is sweet, its a nice concept.

but seriously, PT Cruiser and fast dont belong in the same sentence.

ZQ8Dude
01-26-2005, 10:14 AM
new car.

also, if your in Ca you cant have an aftermarket turbo(thank you stupid treehuggers) and youwould be limited to like a bottem of the line vortech supercharger(if they make one for your application)

Bush0102
01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
oh yeah and i was looking at your signature...

putting banshee suspension on a 250EX is on about the same level as putting a turbo on a PT Cruiser.

Ask Jeff Stoess what he has to say about that mod.

Prazak250EX
01-26-2005, 06:00 PM
oh yeah and i was looking at your signature...putting banshee suspension on a 250EX is on about the same level as putting a turbo on a PT Cruiser.

Wow what's with all the smart-***** comments? I didn't ask for them. That's great that you have an opinion, but that's all I can afford right now between building my truck, insurance, and putting my wheeler back together. Y'all ever take that into consideration? Also the kid with the Cruiser is stuck with it..so I can't do anything about that.

I think I'm gonna tell him to get a turbo. Less money, Less power to run it. Who cares about lag? It's a good gas mileage car, cuz v-8's drink the gas like mad. I was gonna tell him to get a new car, but he just won't. He's stuck on the PT. I know it's not gonna be anywhere near as fast as a Camaro or a Stang, but there's nothing that I can do about it.

ZQ8Dude
01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
we understand, but even with a turbo, that thing will hardly be faster, if any faster then a 4.3 s10 in stock trim

Bush0102
01-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Prazak250EX
Wow what's with all the smart-***** comments? I didn't ask for them.

i dont think i gave you any, and if you can't afford a real suspension upgrade, don't buy one. You're going to hurt yourself or your machine running a "cheap fix" suspension that isnt designed for you or your quad.

quadrcr161
01-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Prazak250EX
Wow what's with all the smart-***** comments? I didn't ask for them. That's great that you have an opinion, but that's all I can afford right now between building my truck, insurance, and putting my wheeler back together. Y'all ever take that into consideration? Also the kid with the Cruiser is stuck with it..so I can't do anything about that.

I think I'm gonna tell him to get a turbo. Less money, Less power to run it. Who cares about lag? It's a good gas mileage car, cuz v-8's drink the gas like mad. I was gonna tell him to get a new car, but he just won't. He's stuck on the PT. I know it's not gonna be anywhere near as fast as a Camaro or a Stang, but there's nothing that I can do about it.

tell him to leave it alone. if he is stuck with a PT why not just drive it? its a waste of money to try and mod it, plus its pretty much useless. if its a good gas milage realiable car why not just leave it at that? if it was something with a better platform i would sugest something to do, but im sure he dosent have the experience to keep it up. he plan on autoxing dragging or street racing? for a daily driver a turbo can be a headach and require a lot of tuning and fuel management to not blow it up. you cant just bolt a turbo and boost the piss out of it. if he plans on street racing i hoep he gets his DL pulled .

HtFoxChick
01-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Honda4trax250x
i agree, none of the above

tell him to buy a new car

I agree 100%...those cars are GAY:eek: