PDA

View Full Version : Axle Assy

QuadMatt
04-29-2002, 12:03 PM
I just put a locking axle nut on my 400EX. It is like the RAD, but with two lock bolts. Now here's the thing:

The direction say to tighten the nut by hand and then lock it. So i did. Now, this is whats happening.

Because the whole assy is not squeezed together like is often done when someone tightens the axle nut like it has no locking mechanism, the brake disc will move relative to the axle due to the clearance of the spline interface.

I'm afraid this movement will eventually cause wear of the splines from the disc going back and forth on the axle spline.

Is there supposed to be the freedom to move like that or should the axle nut be tighter?

Red Rooster
04-29-2002, 12:23 PM
I think I would call the company first. If they cant tell you anything read on. Keep in mind that I don't and never used an aftermarket axel nut. I would tighten it so thet the brake rotor is solid. I don't think you want that thrashing around! I hope you get it figured out. I think I would call the company first

04-29-2002, 12:40 PM
YOu need ta tighten that MOFO down more..:cool:

QuadMatt
04-29-2002, 01:16 PM
Tighten? OK.

But this will apply pressure in the thrust direction. ANd this pressure, theoretically, deform the bearings. Thus is the point of having the lock nut, so to not have to tighten the assy, but to take up the space and then lock the nut in that posistion. Surely, the assy wasnt designed to have thrust pressure hold the disc.

400exRacerX
04-29-2002, 01:29 PM
Yes, tighten it. I have the speed racing lock nut and they said to tighten it by hand then crank it 1/4 of a turn with a wrench. Well it kept coming loose with just 1/4 turn. So I go a 1/2 turn and the nut onl comes loose after about 3 rides.

This is how it should look,

The green is the nut
The red is the locking ring
The blue is the snap ring

The snap ring is placed in the groove on the axle, then the locking nut is placed up against the snap ring, then you take the nut and taighten it up against the locking ring. Therefore the locking ring will press up against the snap ring and the snap ring and the hole axle will be pushed towards the swingarm.

Did I lose you? Hope this helped

Norm

QuadMatt
04-29-2002, 01:36 PM
So. your sayin that when you tightened up the axle nut 1/4, it loosened up? How could this happen if the nut was locked via the locking bolt?