PDA

View Full Version : chain clunk

rdhargro
01-25-2005, 05:36 PM
had my bike up on the jack today and when the bike was rolling ad in 1st and 2nd gear it looked like the chain was jumping off the front sprocket. it made a clunk noise any ideas on this? I have never tighrtened the chain so maybe that is what it is?

hardkoratvmxr
01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
that could be it or you might have bad rearend bearings. i thought it was my chain at fuirst but then figurerd out it was my bearings

Aceman
01-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Is your chain new? It could be rusty and the links could be stuck together. Have you looked at your front sprocket, the teeth might be bent over not letting the chain sit all the way down in the groove? Or you need to tighten your chain.

rdhargro
01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
I am taking it in to my local small shop and they said it would be 16.50 for the adjustment and lube and inspection. I would rather pay and make sure it is right then be cheap and screw it up.

PunkA$$
01-27-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by rdhargro
I am taking it in to my local small shop and they said it would be 16.50 for the adjustment and lube and inspection. I would rather pay and make sure it is right then be cheap and screw it up.

Am I understanding this right? You're paying $16.50 to have your chain adjusted?? Come on, you can do it yourself, that's a rip off.

rdhargro
01-27-2005, 09:06 AM
the local big dealer around here wanted 90 for labot to do a chain and sprocket kit.

PunkA$$
01-27-2005, 09:16 AM
$90.00 To put a new chain and sprockets on, just for labour? Thats friggin' nuts. That should be about a 30 minute job at most. That would make their hourly rate $180.00. Do yourself a favour, if you haven't already, and go spend $35.00 on a shop manual so you can do these little jobs yourself.

rdhargro
01-27-2005, 09:46 AM
yeah they are crazy I would never have them do that type of work for me at that price

toby400ex
01-27-2005, 02:31 PM
If you are paying someone just to adjust your chain, and plan to keep the quad for any long amount of time you will be spending quite a pretty penny just maintaining it. Adjusting the chain is the simplest thing to do on these things.:ermm:

Aceman
01-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
If you are paying someone just to adjust your chain, and plan to keep the quad for any long amount of time you will be spending quite a pretty penny just maintaining it. Adjusting the chain is the simplest thing to do on these things.:ermm:

I would of said checking the air pressure is the easiest but maybe I'm wrong.:D Definitely get a service manual though. No need to pay someone to adjust your chain. You don't even have to be mechanically inclined to do that.

cds
01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
<<I am taking it in to my local small shop and they said it would be 16.50 for the adjustment and lube and inspection. I would rather pay and make sure it is right then be cheap and screw it up.>>

Good philosophy, IMO.
You can always learn how to do it on your own later.

LOL, if your quad is a non-honda, $16.50 for a chain adjustment is a good deal!

rdhargro
01-27-2005, 08:18 PM
I am sure it is easy to do and maybe next time I will do it myself; however I am going to the dunes in two weeks and I would hate for my lack of mechanics to leave me stranded. the shop is reliable and well known in my area so 16.50 for peace of mind is well worth it.