PDA

View Full Version : LT50/LT80 controls

wilkin250r
01-25-2005, 03:59 PM
I just came across a smoking deal for two LT80s, so I'm headed to pick them up tonight.

My daughter fits fine on the LT80, except for the controls. The handlebars on the LT80 are the much larger than the LT50. I think they are the same diameter as full-size quads, and he has trouble operating the thumb throttle and holding on securely to the larger grips. She would be much safer on the smaller grips and controls of the LT50.

Anybody else run into this problem? Did you just live with it, or did you find a solution? I doubt I could directly swap the controls from an LT50.

Samson
01-26-2005, 08:57 AM
I've got the same problem on mine. She does OK. I have the rear brake reall loose so it's easy to pull, but her fingers aren't quite long enough. I just make her go slow.

Spike99 has plans for a rear foot brake for a Polaris. You might be able to use those to rig something if you're handy.

Samson
01-26-2005, 08:58 AM
Also read where some bent the handle, but I've been a little leary to try it.

wilkin250r
01-26-2005, 02:49 PM
The LT80 has a foot brake for the rear, and a hand brake for the front. I'm only slightly worried about the foot brake. If it's a problem, I may try bending the pedal a bit. I'm not worried if I break it, since I have a spare.

I'm also not too terribly worried about the front hand brake. True, she has trouble squeezing the handle, but I don't think she'll be using the front that much, she'll mostly use her foot for the rear. And I'll make sure she's never in a situation where she may need both, that type of terrain would be too dangerous for her in the first place, even if she could reach the controls.

I'm more worried about the throttle. Her hands are too small to reach the thumb throttle AND hold on securely with all fingers. I don't want her taking her hand halfway off the grip just to push the throttle, and then hit a rock and have the bars twist out of her hand because she's not holding on securely.

Samson
01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Sorry, misunderstood.

B4 I went to premix, I rotated the thumb throttle to where she could push downward (instead of away). That angle seemed to help her quite a bit.

LT80
01-28-2005, 08:13 AM
I've bent the brake lever. If you use an acetelene torch to heat it up, it will move w/o breaking.
It's common on a LT80 to put an extension on the foot brake lever. Usually 1 1/2 inch.Especially if you have nerf bars.

dirtmomma
01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
WE had this problem w/ my lil guy on his LEM w/ the thumb throttle, we got a different type of throttle for him, it looks like a brake or clutch lever, he can either pull it like a clutch or push it, we have it so he pushes it, didn't want to confuse him LOL, it's ALOT easier for him now, he could probably use the stock throttle but who the heck knows where that ended up :rolleyes:

He never had a problem on our LT80 but he only rode it a couple times too.

Mxjunkie
02-13-2005, 03:42 AM
I had the same problem when i raced mine so my dad put a motion pro twist throttle on it, i was kinda ifie with it at first but, I sure was glad he put it in during my races and praticing! I could hold on to the bars etc fine ever since then i havent really cared for a thumb :)