PDA

View Full Version : yamaha rhino questions

4punksdad
01-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Anybody else own one? I have heard rumors that the rev limited wire can be cut to allow full speed operation without damage to the engine. Does anyone know where the exact wire is? I can add a new CDI as an option, but cutting the wire would serve my purpose if that idea works. Any info is appreciated

redrocker
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I think you use a grizzly cdi
just what I heard check bluetraxx

4punksdad
01-26-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by redrocker
I think you use a grizzly cdi
just what I heard check bluetraxx

I understand via other forums that the grizz CDI doesn't work quite so well. I just ordered a "Black Rhino" performance CDI which claims to cure all of the problems and costs less than the stock grizz unit.

CannondaleRider
01-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Where can I get info on the Black Rhino CDI.

Were thinking of selling the Wolverine and Recon and getting a Rhino

4punksdad
01-31-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Where can I get info on the Black Rhino CDI.

Were thinking of selling the Wolverine and Recon and getting a Rhino

www.yamaharhino.com

I just installed mine. It removes the rev limiter in forward......but in reverse the rev limiter hits sooner than stock. Their web site claims the reverse limiter is set at 12mph,but mine is kicking in at around 5mph. I will call them tomorrow to make sure they didn't send me the wrong CDI. Changing it takes about 10 minutes. Overall, the bike seems about 5- 10 mph faster on top end. I think the factory rev limiter kicks in slightly before top speed on the gearing is achieved. More ride time will be required to tell for sure. My buddy just got a rhino too.........so he and I will drag race ASAP.

08-14-2005, 09:37 PM
I just bought an 05 and I am wondering what to do first? I am thinking stereo.
BTW I took it to the dunes and it was fantastic. In fact, I had to go out at about 10:30 at night and tow a quad back to camp. The Rhino had no problems bringing him home.:D

4punksdad
08-16-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by golfman400ex
I just bought an 05 and I am wondering what to do first? I am thinking stereo.
BTW I took it to the dunes and it was fantastic. In fact, I had to go out at about 10:30 at night and tow a quad back to camp. The Rhino had no problems bringing him home.:D

I have found my rhino to be way more useful than I had imagined. I tow my 14' jet boat about 1 mile to the water every weekend with it, among other things. My Rhino has had some trouble fouling spark plugs however. Not sure what causes it yet. I am involved in the process of elimination to figure it out. I had a batch of bad gas,changed the cdi and made an exhaust modification. Not sure which is causing my problem if any.

For the cold months I highly recommend the 1/2 windshield. It blocks 99% of the cold air. It has to be removed for the summer months, but its only 4 bolts.

08-16-2005, 10:47 PM
The 04 and early 05 rhinos had a recall on the oil rings. They are weak and oil gets around them and fouls your plug. Are you buring oil? Take your rhino in and ask about the recall. They will fix it for free!

Good luck

Mobile Dyno
08-17-2005, 04:55 AM
the black rhino cdi pulled 50mph on the dyno. Stock cdi pulled 37mph.

08-17-2005, 07:31 AM
Was that 50mph with a jet? Most guys have told me a 165 works best.

4punksdad
08-25-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Mobile Dyno
the black rhino cdi pulled 50mph on the dyno. Stock cdi pulled 37mph.

I have added the grizzly dash to mine and I get the following numbers.

stock cdi= 40mph in high range

black rhino cdi= 45mph in high range.

the black rhino cdi isn't worth the money in my opinion.

4punksdad
08-25-2005, 10:51 AM
The 04 and early 05 rhinos had a recall on the oil rings. They are weak and oil gets around them and fouls your plug. Are you buring oil? Take your rhino in and ask about the recall. They will fix it for free!

Good luck

My dealer claims there was no such re-call. I did however get a new fuel cap in the mail since the factory cap was defective according to yamaha.

Dealer also claims the air / fuel mixture is way too rich from the factory. They recommend leaning it out. He claims the air/fuel screw is covered with a plug that needs to be drilled out to access the screw.

08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
OK, go to the Black Rhino Site. I think I have it here.....

http://www.blackrhinoperformance.net/Forum/

There are many threads dealing with the recall on this site, check them out for yourself.

4punksdad
08-27-2005, 08:16 AM
OK, go to the Black Rhino Site. I think I have it here.....

http://www.blackrhinoperformance.net/Forum/

There are many threads dealing with the recall on this site, check them out for yourself.

thanks for the link...........I will do that.

08-31-2005, 07:52 PM
I've done a lot of reading about the Rhinos and a number of them are losing power in the mid range. Almost all the guys who claim they have fixed them state that it is a problem with fuel building up too much pressure and causing float bowl failure?:confused: Anyway, their fix is to either take off the fuel filter and release pressure or to drain the float bowls and release pressure. Maybe that is why they sent out the new gas caps. I hope that is the fix everyone is looking for.:macho