View Full Version : Anyone Live near UTI in arizona?? or near pheonix??

CowsBitePeople
01-25-2005, 12:17 PM
If so how do you like it out there?? is there alot of riding? Im moving out there in about 2 years goin to school and such just wanted input on how it is out there and Riding stats, Thanks And if anyone has any pics of property out there that would be great

Matt

CowsBitePeople@yahoo.com

400grl
01-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Arizona is great - are you kidding??? We have about 6 MX tracks locally within an hour driving time - the dunes are 3 hours away (Glamis - the REAL dunes!) - the Cinders for the summer time - open desert in many places if you are into trail riding......and you can ride all year around if you can stand the heat! :) Check out Harlen's pics when he gets them up of the WORCS race.....you will see what Speedworld is like and the desert around it......if you like the snow, you can also snowski or snowboard in the winter up in the mountains.......

UTI is where my fiance went to school.....it's one of the best places for automotive classes you can go to. Do good, and you will find a great job.

iceracer65
01-25-2005, 12:36 PM
glamis is reason alone to move to az. i dont know if i could handle the heat in the summer though:devil:

400grl
01-25-2005, 02:36 PM
Heat's not bad - we have night races during the summer....and night practices - that helps ALOT! :)

CannondaleRider
01-25-2005, 04:51 PM
Yeah, Arizona is AWSOME

You don't have to deal with snow at all(unless your up north) so you can ride all the time, a lot of tracks, trails everywhere, GLAMIS(come on, like someone else said, thats reason enough):p

F-16Guy
01-25-2005, 05:47 PM
STOP!! Before you move to Phoenix, you have to pass a little test:

1) You are about to make a left turn at a 4-way stop, and there is another vehicle proceeding straight through the intersection opposite you. Do you:

A) Both sit there like idiots, waiting for the other to move; and then when one of you does move, the other moves, too, causing you to both stop again.

B) Floor it and turn in front of the oncoming vehicle because 'screw it, you're not waiting for anyone!', and then flip him off and cuss, even though he had the right-of-way.

C) Yeild to the oncoming traffic, and then proceed with the turn promptly after the vehicle passes.

2) You want to ask the price of an item in a store in Phoenix, AZ, located in the United States of America. Which phrase do you use?
A) Excuse me, sir/ma'am, how much is this?

B) Cuanto?

3) It has been raining for three days straight and you must go across town to buy a loaf of bread. While driving in your lowered Honda Civic, you come across a low point in the road with swift moving water, barriers, and a stalled vehicle about half way through. Do you:

A) Laugh at the other driver's misfortune as you start to proceed across.

B) Decide to walk out into the water to see how strong the current is.

C) Remember the ten news stories the day before about people getting stranded and drowning in flooded washes, and decide to find a better route.

Aceman
01-25-2005, 06:27 PM
F16guy, seeing as how your from Arizona you must see all the wrong answers to your questions performed all the time. I knew a guy that went to a refrigeration school fairly close to UTI. He said one day he came home and there were cops everywhere. Somebody had just been shot on the street corner below his apartment building!! As I understand it, UTI is situated in the middle of an industrial area, so that would suck. I also just heard on the radio that there is roughly 3 million people in Phoenix and the surrounding communities so traffic is hell. They said it's one of the fastest growing cities in the US but freeway construction hasn't kept up with the growth. So now they are thinking about building a light rail system. I know I couldn't live down there, way to close to the border, I bet everything that isn't bolted down is stolen. Just my 2 cents.

AZblaster44
01-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Phoenix is bad, but if you live in one of the surrounding towns and know what roads to stay off of at certain times traffic aint too bad and niehter is crime..cept auto theft, were one of the top ranking places for autothenft possibly the #1 on the list, but I can't remember for sure...Ain't nuthin like california ( I know I used to live there) I don't plan on living in another state for too long if ever unless i find a better place that I can ride all year have the dunes this close and snow in the winter if i feel like driving an hour or so to it:) I LOVE it here:D

YZ400EX
01-25-2005, 09:40 PM
Me and my wife are thinking of moving to Phoenix..That is where my dad lives and we just got back from Vacation there..Had a great time..we visit about 2-3 times a year and we might just visit and not come back..haha..We need to find jobs there first, but before you move out thererememebr it does get REALLY hot in the summers, but after you live there awhile you kinda get used to the heat..Right now the weather there is great..too bad I had to come back from upper 70 degree weather back here to my 19 degrees..that sucks

trx440
01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Traffic is NOTHING compared to other large cities like Chicago, NY, Boston, Atlanta.

They actually have a very good freeway system here and they have opened about 100 miles of new freeway in the last 4 years. They have over 100 more miles that will open before 2008.

It is less hot here in the summer than it is cold in the winter in Chicago. The sun shines 330 days a year. I can drive @ 70 miles from my house in Scottsdale to Payson where the elevation is over 5000ft and where the weather is just like Denver's. When it is 110 here in the valley it is in the 80's in the mountains.

Wages are not as good in AZ as back east. But my house's value went from $350,000 in Nov 2000 to $700,000 in Jan 2005. You can make major roll on Real Estate here.

There are no Hurricanes, Earthquakes and very few if any tornados here in AZ. And what they call torrential storms or Monsoons here in AZ are average Thunderstorms elsewhere in the country.

Rocky Point Mexico is only 4 hours from Phoenix. It is the closest beach to Phoenix. San Diego is 6-7 hours away depending on California traffic.

The dunes are 3 1/2 hours away. Glamis, Gordon's well, Ogilby and Buttercup.

Someone said something about being to close to the border and everything gets stolen that isn't bolted down. Like where dosen't that happen in the USA? To say that people of Mexican decent are solely responsible for the theft rates here in AZ is silly. I have NEVER seen more tweeker white trash in my life than in the Phoenix area. It makes western Kentucky look civilized. If you were thinking of moving here and had to live in a high crime rate area because that's all you could afford then you should stay where you are at now.

When I decided to move from Chicago in 2000 I chose Scottsdale, AZ over all cities in the US with LaJolla, CA finishing second. Dollar for dollar it's the best place in the world to live.

400grl
01-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I suspect that being from Oregon, Phoenix would be a scary place to live......not much happening in Oregon. ;) JP! You don't LIVE at UTI.........and they moved the campus, actually - to the West Valley, so it's not where it used to be. You can find affordable housing that ISN'T in a high crime area.......and traffic is certainly not as big an issue in AZ as it is in many other large cities......it's the one place I've lived where the street layouts all make SENSE!!! And the freeway builders are busting ***** all over town putting in new freeways and getting them done AHEAD of schedule!!

Besides, there is a reason why so many people are moving TO AZ and hardly ANYONE is moving AWAY from! :) ;)

CowsBitePeople
01-26-2005, 10:14 AM
400grl

so whats the nearest town that you would reccomend near UTI that has good riding not like a city and is easy to commute to uti everyday?? I dont want to be in a crowded area with a house every 5 feet or a big apartment on every block but I want to be somewhat close to UTI so commuting doesnt kick my ***** your help uis much appriciated

Does anyone have any pictures of the neibhorhoods around there? or riding spots?

400grl
01-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Well, it's all pretty much city....unless you get way out West......then there are more open areas........sometimes you can find a place where you can ride out into the desert, but those places are few and far between.......on the very outskirts of the cities and also primo property - meaning, everyone wants those houses and they are expensive. Realistically, you should plan on just getting a normal house/apt someplace nice with not a bad commute, and then plan on trucking your quad wherever you want to ride. Like I said, we have several tracks within an hour or so from downtown Phoenix....several more farther away......we all truck our quads everywhere we want to go......

Check out www.ridingarizona.com - if you are intereseted in trail riding and desert riding, they will know alot more areas than me - I'm an MX'er. Crown King, Sycamore Creek, Rolls OHV, Lake Pleasant are all places you will hear about........

AZblaster44
01-26-2005, 10:21 AM
check out www.ridingarizona.com and you can look at pictures of riding spots and get more info on the riding here(you have to join to see most of the forum tho) .. also for racing check out www.gomxracing.com has a list of tracks and where they are at if thats more of what your interested

AZblaster44
01-26-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Well, it's all pretty much city....unless you get way out West......then there are more open areas........sometimes you can find a place where you can ride out into the desert, but those places are few and far between.......on the very outskirts of the cities and also primo property - meaning, everyone wants those houses and they are expensive. Realistically, you should plan on just getting a normal house/apt someplace nice with not a bad commute, and then plan on trucking your quad wherever you want to ride. Like I said, we have several tracks within an hour or so from downtown Phoenix....several more farther away......we all truck our quads everywhere we want to go......

Check out www.ridingarizona.com - if you are intereseted in trail riding and desert riding, they will know alot more areas than me - I'm an MX'er. Crown King, Sycamore Creek, Rolls OHV, Lake Pleasant are all places you will hear about........

Damnit corry you beat me to it lol

F-16Guy
01-26-2005, 04:55 PM
I was mostly kidding about my post. Phoenix (I actually live in the far west valley) is the best place I've ever lived. I was born and raised (for the most part) in Beaverton, Oregon, and I could never imagine going back. There is crime in every city, and here is no different, but it can be avoided if you know where not to go. The West valley is growing really fast. I live about ten minutes from the new Glendale Arena (Coyotes hockey) and Cardinals Stadium. In the summer, you can go to one of the many lakes around the valley, go tubing down the Salt river, or go to a water park. The rest of the year when the weather is not scortching hot (it's not really that bad), you can ride, camp, hunt, fish, etc. Like everyone else, you probably won't leave.