PDA

View Full Version : Best Front Tires...

bpimpdaddy21
01-25-2005, 11:01 AM
I am looking into getting a new set of front tires for my '02 400EX. I will be racing some MX this year, and I also do a bit of recreational woods riding also. I am looking for a set of front tires that will give me the best handling for both. I have been looking at the different Holeshot tires (XC, XCR, MX), all the Razr's, etc. Please anyone give me your input on this.

Also, when purchasing tires, are there advantages to getting 22" fronts as opposed to 21" fronts? Handling differences? I am also looking into what size to get also. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dust_1503
01-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Holeshots, Razrs, and Klaws are your best front tire. You pretty much have to decide how much of which type of riding you are doing. More woods would mean you may want a 21" front 20" rear combo. The popular setup for mx is a 20" front and 18" rear the disadvantage with this is in the woods if you get deep ruts or mud you sacrifice ground clearance. But for mx it helps lower your quad for better cornering capablities. The other setup you are talking about with a 22" 23" front tire and 22" rear this only helps your ground clearance out again by raising it even more, this setup would typically be used in muddy or very deep rutty conditions. If you ride half and half woods mx and it does get rutty on occasion i'd go with a 21" front and 20" back that will work good on both types of riding. If it isn't rutty at all for your woods riding then go ahead and get the mx setup with the 20" front and 18" back. The only reason you need bigger tires for woods is to keep from high centering and the mud. Hope that helps