PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever start racing in their 30's?

Bender
01-25-2005, 10:35 AM
I always wanted to try a GNNC race, but somehow life just kept getting in the way. Well now I'm 34 and figured if I don't try it soon I may never. I've always been an aggressive trail rider but never raced. I've had numerous 2 stroke dirt bike experiance growing up, and a few 2 stroke 3 wheelers( a couple of R's and a Tecate 250), but have only been riding quads for a few years. I raced MTN bikes in the 90's.
My gf 's thinking I'm going through a mid life crissis , but I just want to get diry and have some fun, maybe meet a few people.
Any suggestions for me? How would I get started If I decide to do it?

gump
01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
i started at 40, your still a youngen... :D just get a good quad and have fun !!!!!!!

Allen
01-25-2005, 11:04 AM
I will be 30 in a few months and I have only been racing about 3 years and I really like it. I have a wife and a baby girl and I dont think it is a mid life crisis. Those dont come around until your mid 40's I think?? Point is you will like it..

400grl
01-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I was 29 my first race......and I can pretty much out-endurance my 23 year old boyfriend! :) (I'm 33 now)

montycarlo
01-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Bender

Any suggestions for me? How would I get started If I decide to do it?

I tried a hare scramble for fun at 29, then took a serious attempt last year at 30 and tried to run a series. (almost worked)

You don't hafta start racing at the GNCC level; there are local races that are lower key. Suit yourself. There are no GNCC races near me and my schedule doesn't really allow me to go where ever - whenever. Pick out a race, get a copy of the rules, then make sure your protective gear & quad is up to spec with the rules. Show up early & take a look around.

Mid-life crisis? :ermm:

Maybe.
Ask your wife if she'd rather that you chased younger women around! :eek2:

smr
01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
I'm 35 years old..I started racing last year at 34. Man I am having a blast. I have actually one a few harescrambles.

Good luck and have fun.

Bender
01-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Sweet, some much need replies:)
I should have said "XC" instead of GNCC, thats what I meant. I'm probably going to pick up a 450R or YFZ in the spring. I was going to build up my 400EX, but it's kind of slow and I'd probably save money buying a 450. My 250R's engine blew up, so thats out for a bit. I like the YFZ (always liked the YZ's, better than the CR's growing up). But the YFZ is so tiny and cramped for me. I don't think I'm big (6' 200 ilbs.) but the 450R fits good. A tough choice indeed, so many good quads are starting to show up these days.

SSRedRider
01-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Your not too old. I started racing mx when I was 47. I did that for a couple of years then switched to XC. I have raced the GNCC's the last three years and loved it. Its expensive running the whole circuit, but the memories and people you meet are well worth it. I have raced 31 GNCC races, I have plaqued 24 times. 3 first places, 5 second place, 7 third place and the rest was 4th and 5th places. I have had one hell of a good time. Can't wait to do it again. Im 52 now and I still like to do it in the dirt, Its all good.

Johnny & Monica
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I started racing at 30 jumped rigth in the 30+ class an have been hooked since This year I get to run the 40+ class woo woo Sure wished they had quads back when I was young:devil:

chad cavagnaro
01-25-2005, 04:48 PM
i, like you, was an agressive quad trail rider, for about 5 yrs, then hooked up with a friend who delt gas gas quads, and went to watch him race. got hooked on the idea of racing myself, but was quadless, and saving every penny to buy one, finally got a quad, but it didnt work. recieved a refund then bought a yfz 450. tore it down and made some mods to it to race local harescrambles. 39 yr old. and entered first race....sucked but enjoyed it except having the flu. came in last. next race was at loretta lyns gncc. did better. long story short, cont to improve locally, and moved up 2 classes in 1/2 yr. I AM ADDICTED! plan to race more gncc this yr. hope to meat more poeple on this site. build more comrradery with other cx racers. i would prob get a honda next time around though because they seem to be better put together i won't go into that on this site and piss poeple off, thats jmo. mine is an 04 but 05 could be improved, not sure? i think also you should try to find some local harescrambles and try those first. less expensive and rules. then if u like, and wife doesnt leave you:eek2: go to big leagues. good luck.

Zhvonte
01-25-2005, 05:22 PM
I started desert racing when I was 30 yrs old, will be 32 soon. I just go out and have fun. Though I cant keep up with most of the people, I just give it my best shot because essentially in these kind of races you are just racing against yourself and that strives me to become better every time I set foot on that quad to race....

400exmom
01-25-2005, 06:35 PM
i started riding and racing 3 years ago when i turned 32..

just do it!:)

ILGNCC400EX
01-25-2005, 06:49 PM
well i didnt start till i was 50 just do it you will have a blast an meet the best people

AtvMxRider
01-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
(I'm 26 now)

;)

tdsongster
01-25-2005, 08:03 PM
I have been aggressive trail riding for 2 years, but at 37 gonna do some of the Iowa harescrambles this year. Anxious to see how it all turns out, sure it will be a blast!

rpmquad
01-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
I have been aggressive trail riding for 2 years, but at 37 gonna do some of the Iowa harescrambles this year. Anxious to see how it all turns out, sure it will be a blast!

:D nice to see some one else from my neck of the woods going to race the ia series.....you will have to stop by the shop sometime and say hello.....i started at 35....i could not afford to race when i was younger lol

tdsongster
01-25-2005, 09:26 PM
Yeah maybe I will break my neck and make the wife a rich woman! WHOA.

Hey, rpmquad, do you ever go to veteran's bridge and ride? I usually go there since it only takes like 15 minutes.

quadnice
01-25-2005, 10:41 PM
I Started XC racing when I was 31 (2002 - B class)

The following year I got bumped to A class & was Humbled MANY Times throughout the season.

2004 season- State champ here in MN.
Our turnouts & competition are no where near the same level as the southern & eastern states.
Thought I could give the IA. series championship a try & WHOA their are some of the FASTEST & most talented riders that show up from Missouri :mad: j/k guys!!!

Save your $$$ for now, & Give your 400EX a shot @ racing.
Safety gear, tires, skid plates, & front shocks is about all you need to go race.
It's not the machine,.......It's ALL RIDER!!!

QuadJunkies
01-26-2005, 12:09 AM
I was 34 when I started out... I wish I had learned of this sport ALOT earlier.... :ermm:

seamonster
01-26-2005, 10:51 AM
Started racing last year at age 34....just go out and have fun.....

atvchik
01-26-2005, 12:22 PM
I was 34 too! I heard a racer once say that it was better to be a racer for a moment than a spectator for life...so that's when I made up my mind to give it a shot~

I still laugh when I'm on the line next to someone the same age as my daughter. I just think they have no idea how lucky they are to start something so young.

jja125
01-26-2005, 01:30 PM
i'll be thirty this year and last year was my first year racing. now i plan to race as long as my body can hold up. i too wish i had started racing earlier. sometimes its hard to recover when you have to go to work on monday morning, but its worth it.

seatec
01-26-2005, 01:47 PM
i am also 34 and raced a couple of local HS. although i am beat up everytime finishing mid pack in the c class i still enjoy the hell out of it. Like somebody else said. better to race than to spectate wishing you were racing.

LapTraffic
01-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Jeesh
I didnt even get to RIDE a quad until I was 33!
35 now and racin pro.

Midlife Crisis? You bet! :)

MarylandATVcom
01-26-2005, 02:24 PM
I did my first GNCC just last year and Im 41. I also have only been riding quads for a few years. I finished 6th place in mod utility class and felt I didnt do to bad. Next week feb 6th starts Pa. District 6 and Im thinking about running the whole season? ;)

rpmquad
01-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by tdsongster
Yeah maybe I will break my neck and make the wife a rich woman! WHOA.

Hey, rpmquad, do you ever go to veteran's bridge and ride? I usually go there since it only takes like 15 minutes.

i do every once in awhile on a week night ...i do not like it there on the weekends...you will like the ia series it is a blast

tdsongster
01-26-2005, 09:34 PM
I dont suppose you are the guy that has a 250r painted up like the General Lee?

rpmquad
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
no no no lol...i have a lrd framed r with laeger arms and pep shocks...i had white plastic last year on it....i have a practice track in bartlett ia so i do not go down there that much...

crayfz
01-27-2005, 05:05 PM
I raced 1 GNCC race in 95 at 35, 96 took 2nd in vet, 97 vet class champ.

tdsongster
01-27-2005, 09:01 PM
rpmquad, Is that track your own personal property, or open to the public for a fee?

rpmquad
01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
sorry it's private...it is a customers land that lets me do as i wish .....only the owner and myself(or who i take with me)can ride there.....i am trying to talk him into having a iatvhss race there...

KatHouseMouse
01-28-2005, 06:33 AM
You don't stop riding because you get old you get old because you stop riding!!!!!

DVXRULES
01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
As the ER Doctor said: "You're never too old." this was one week after wrecking on my first flat track race at 49 years of age. Fractured ribs and pelvic, but I did ride the main (not extremely well) and did not go to the doctor for a week. Hasn't stopped me for this winter series, just holding on a little tighter. By the way, I have 14 grandchildren and 4 kids. I'm Mom to most racers and Grandma to the rest. All four of my children race, a daughter-in-law, a son-in law, 7 grandchildren (6-13 years of age) race in the same series. Upcoming are two of my son's girlfriends (DVX and Honda 440EX) and the 2 and 3 year old grandaughters their 50's (Eton & Predator);)

tdsongster
01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
WOW, U RULE!!!

AtvMxRider
01-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by DVXRULES
As the ER Doctor said: "You're never too old." this was one week after wrecking on my first flat track race at 49 years of age. Fractured ribs and pelvic, but I did ride the main (not extremely well) and did not go to the doctor for a week. Hasn't stopped me for this winter series, just holding on a little tighter. By the way, I have 14 grandchildren and 4 kids. I'm Mom to most racers and Grandma to the rest. All four of my children race, a daughter-in-law, a son-in law, 7 grandchildren (6-13 years of age) race in the same series. Upcoming are two of my son's girlfriends (DVX and Honda 440EX) and the 2 and 3 year old grandaughters their 50's (Eton & Predator);)

Are you a MILF?

rpmquad
01-28-2005, 09:44 PM
^^^^lmao :D

tdsongster
01-28-2005, 11:27 PM
Nah, I just think its funny that Grandma can kick your ***...

popo
01-29-2005, 05:44 AM
I also started at 35...

You have to be that old to start in order to have enough money in a retirement fund to use on racing.

QuadJunkies
01-29-2005, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by popo
I also started at 35...

You have to be that old to start in order to have enough money in a retirement fund to use on racing. LOL. there is some truth to that I sure.....!! :p

dads400ex
01-29-2005, 07:44 PM
I started to race at 38, now 40 and now I am hooked. Hope to race for several years. My racing consists of local harescrambles and MX.

EASTHILL
02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
To me,age is just a state of mind,your will and desire will dictate what your body can do.
Just take it slow and see how it goes,you may surprise yourself.

I started racing nationally 4 years ago-im 35 now and i have more game than ever.
Racing and riding is very addicting-The thrill of competition is
an undeniable rush-
just go for it !:D

sharkinthepool
02-02-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
I was 29 my first race......and I can pretty much out-endurance my 23 year old boyfriend! :) (I'm 33 now)

Sam that is just hott!!! I do not care that I knew that before I seen it on here or not!

She can out endurance her boyfriend! HAHAHAHA:D HAHAHAHA

sharkinthepool
02-02-2005, 01:36 PM
I am 31 and still racing MX at a competitive pace and going to run my first GNCC this year!. AHH just try it! If your whipped and still smiling at the end of the day, do it again!

SSRedRider
02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by KatHouseMouse
You don't stop riding because you get old you get old because you stop riding!!!!!

True words of wisdom. I got hurt in Nov. and haven't been able to ride. I can really tell old man time has been talking to me. Can't wait to start riding again so I can limber up and turn this age thing around.

Rico
02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
Ran my almost full 1st season of GNCC at 30. I"m now working out to help not feel like a slow POS when I"m there.

Started racing MX when I was 28 and it was just too hard on the ole body..:scary:

popo
02-02-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by EASTHILL

I started racing nationally 4 years ago-im 35 now and i have more game than ever.
Racing and riding is very addicting-The thrill of competition is
an undeniable rush-
just go for it !:D

Dang I thought you where older than 35 with all that grey hair.

:D

tdsongster
02-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Anyone interested in getting some riding time in to get ready for the harescrambles?

racerx573
02-13-2005, 09:58 AM
My dad is 48, and will be racing MX when he gets home from Afghanistan.

Varmit57
02-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I started Racing MX Quads when I was 33! I love this Stuff!

I grew up on Bikes and raced some Hare Scrambles alot when I was yonger. Then years later while waitng on the concrete to dry in my garage one of my good freinds pulled a quad out of his truck and started to play on a dirt pile in my yard. Since then I have owned 5 diffrent quads and have racing as much as I can.

This year I plan on going to as many local MX's as I can along with a few nationals then throw some hare scrambles just to fill time...
:D

oldandslow
02-14-2005, 11:54 AM
I"m 34 ran 6 gncc races at 31 still run a few races your never to old just have fun