PDA

View Full Version : cheap power

Hondarider427
01-25-2005, 09:15 AM
What can i do to my 2003 400ex to give it power besides a exhaust and airfilter that is also cheap.

aviator4
01-25-2005, 09:34 AM
I guess that depends on what your defenition of "cheap" is.

putting in a HotCams stage one cam is fairly cheap if you have some mechanical skill. the cam is like $149 or so. The instructions say to replace several gaskets and the rocker arms, but I've never had to do either during a cam install on a newer bike.

Of course ,you have to have the tools to do it as well, and that requires an in/lb torque wrench. You could rent that from a local auto parts place if you're in a major city (or close to one).

the cam will really change the power your bike puts out.

Also, make sure to re-jet the bike when you put that new exhaust system on. Proper jetting will make a MAJOR difference in performance.

wilkin250r
01-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately, any power increase beyond a pipe and filter is not "cheap". The parts themselves are not all too expensive, you can buy a cam and piston for about the same price as a pipe and filter, but the cam and piston will require quite a bit more mechanical ability to install.

And quite frankly, the simple fact that you are asking about mods indicates that you don't have a whole lot of experience, and an engine tear-down and reassembly might be beyond your abilities.

Mods are certainly available, you can significantly increase your power output, but it will also significantly impact your wallet.

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Being that your engine isn't really modded yet, I would say the next cheapest thing would be to get the sparks timing advance key. There is a tech article on here on how to install it too. Other than that cheapest thing would be to do some jetting test to make sure your spot on. Really makes a differnce.

85atc350x
01-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree, A sparks timing advance key is inexpensive and only takes about 30 minutes to install.