PDA

View Full Version : risk?

BrandonBlackmon
01-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Do you run the risk of warping the valves if you take your baffle out of a stock exhaust?

UglyMotha™
01-25-2005, 08:59 AM
warping valves.............. thats cute

no you don't run the risk of doin anything to the valves the only thing you risk is looking like a retard, please leave your baffle in, it does absolutly nothing for performance and sounds downright disgusting :o

BrandonBlackmon
01-25-2005, 09:17 AM
thanks, and by the way, I was not asking for myself,just rode with some new people this weekend and a guy on a predator was running his without the baffle and someone said that it would warp the valves.

UglyMotha™
01-25-2005, 09:30 AM
yah, i think some people just like to hear there brain rattle when they talk, i love the notorious don't run an open header cause you'll drop a valve, yah that's ones not true either :o so next time you hear somebody saying something like that you can stuff something in there mouth and tell em to shut it

balls2da-wall
01-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Well last time i check the baffle wasnt just making the quad quiet it was restricting some air...i removed mine before i bought new exhaust...i could tell a difference.

throwinitup
01-25-2005, 11:48 AM
before i got my big gun, i cut out my baffle/spark arrestor completly, and it didnt sound the greatest, untill i drilled like 4 5/8" holes in the plate just inside the silencer. this took the retarded "bubbly" sound away and made it sound alright. but i would just leave the exhaust how it is. best thing you can do is get a full system (big gun, sparks, gthunder, tc) drill some holes in your airbox lid, get a good aftermarket fiber-based filter (K&N) and an outerwears for it, and jet accordingly

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by throwinitup
before i got my big gun, i cut out my baffle/spark arrestor completly, and it didnt sound the greatest, untill i drilled like 4 5/8" holes in the plate just inside the silencer. this took the retarded "bubbly" sound away and made it sound alright. but i would just leave the exhaust how it is. best thing you can do is get a full system (big gun, sparks, gthunder, tc) drill some holes in your airbox lid, get a good aftermarket fiber-based filter (K&N) and an outerwears for it, and jet accordingly

Ha, you said good and K&N in the same sentence. It's an oxymoron.

UglyMotha™
01-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Ha, you said good and K&N in the same sentence. It's an oxymoron.

your a moron allright :rolleyes:

throwinitup
01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
well, idk about the moron part but,

k & n's arent that bad, i dont run one anymore, i snagged a brand new AIRAID (they make high-end cold air-intake kits) filter off a car at the salvage yard i work at, it happened to fit real nice on the intake, so ive been running that for about 2 weeks and it seems to be working great - way better than the K & N, way easier to clean. i'll get a pic in a little bit....and the sweet part is that its a FREEBIE

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 04:03 PM
I used to think K&N's were great, I also used to think that the sand in my intake tube was normal too. Turns out the other filters dont let the dirt in! Amazing. K&N are ok for street and sand only, but I dont feel like trashing my freshly rebuilt engine.

UglyMotha™
01-26-2005, 06:39 AM
fine print on box also says not to be used by somewhat untrained monkeys, thank god you switched :o

balls2da-wall
01-26-2005, 06:44 AM
there is nothing wrong with a K&N...every racer ive met has one with the air box lid removed and an outwears on it...I have had no complaint about mine!:p

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
fine print on box also says not to be used by somewhat untrained monkeys, thank god you switched :o

So then I guess that makes you ....... a trained monkey???

I'm not the only one on here that switched away from K&N. Maybe my filter was just bad, but I always had sand in my intake tube, and I cleaned and oiled the damn thing everytime I rode. I just didn't want to take any more chances.

UglyMotha™
01-26-2005, 08:04 AM
well i guess since i don't get dust in either my quad nor my offroad truck then i guess you could consider me trained, or just not lacking intelligence :o

emptied a cup of sand outta my airbox everyday at silverlake but have yet to find sand in my intake, hmmm guess it's just a unique breed :ermm:

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:52 AM
actually there are a lot of people on here with the same problem as me.

UglyMotha™
01-26-2005, 08:58 AM
cute............ monkeys arn't a endangered species, so i doubt your the only one left :o

the ratio of people that have no probs far out weights the ones that do

balls2da-wall
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
cute............ monkeys arn't a endangered species, so i doubt your the only one left :o

:D Muuuuhahahaha:p

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 04:08 PM

the ratio of people that have no probs far out weights the ones that do

I didn't say that they did, all I said was that other people have the same problem I had. If it works for you then fine. I still use one in my truck but just not on my quad anymore.

397ccEX
01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
I have had no problems with my K&N whatsoever
I have also owned a uni airfilter and had no problems

400hondaex
01-26-2005, 08:24 PM
Only reason why I can see not buying a K&N filter is becuase they are harder to clean than a foam filter. Was your K&N oiled?????

400exrider707
01-27-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by 400hondaex
Only reason why I can see not buying a K&N filter is becuase they are harder to clean than a foam filter. Was your K&N oiled?????

Cleaned and oiled after every ride! I tried using PJ1 oil, and even tried the foaming Klotz filter oil, and it still leaked crap through. Maybe I just had a bad filter, but I've heard this problem from other people as well. I wasn't knocking anyone for using a K&N I was pretty much just telling him how my experience with the filter was a bad one.:ermm:

wilkin250r
01-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Dear sweet Jesus, it's almost painful to read.

K&N is not a bad filter. However, it does require at least average intelligence to maintain and use one. However, average intelligence seems to be in short supply.

I decided to run a test on the K&N. It was rather informal, I just wanted to see if the rumors were true, that a K&N let dirt in.

I think I'm a perfect candidate. I don't have an airbox at all, and I run in some of the most god-awful dirty, dusty places around: The dry Nevada deserts. Just to make SURE I got a valid test, I put a ring of oil in my air boot (dust particles should stick to it), and even a piece of double-sided tape. IF any dirt was coming through, it would stick, and I would see it.

Not only did I ride in dusty conditions, I rode behind my girlfriend, making sure I was directly in her dust.

Nothing. Not a dang thing. I actually had dust on the INSIDE of my goggles, and had to clean them several times. I was blowing brown snot for three days. Nothing in my airboot.

My theory is that most people don't know how to properly oil a K&N filter. With a foam filter, you just spray the oil on the surface like spraypaint, and then maybe squish it a little. If you do the same thing with a K&N, it will be dry inside the pleats, coincidently where most of the air gets sucked through. You have to pay strict attention to getting the oil inside the pleats.

Don't go bashing K&N filters just because you don't know how to oil them properly.

UglyMotha™
01-27-2005, 01:54 PM
wilkin i always knew you were a man with slightly above intellagence, i could just tell :o :D

same here i guy, i run an aluminum airbox with no lid at all, i run the muddiest and dusties and i won't even go into detail about how much water my bike has swallowed, but i'm always sad to to pull my filter off and find nothing but oil residue from the filter :(

400exrider707
01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
I apologize for calling K&N's bad. I guess it was just my filter. I did buy it used, I'm starting to think it might have had a little more use than I thought. I used klotz foaming oil on my filter, so I know I didn't miss any areas on the filter. Maybe I just didn't do it right, but either way I've got a UNI now and its a lot easier to maintain for me. I guess Ill just keep the K&N for a backup.

397ccEX
01-27-2005, 07:19 PM
K&N is not a bad filter. However, it does require at least average intelligence to maintain and use one. However, average intelligence seems to be in short supply

Don't go bashing K&N filters just because you don't know how to oil them properly.

Thanks Wilkon250r
I here it way to much that K&N is a bad filter when its not
And your test proved it :D

Aceman
01-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
I apologize for calling K&N's bad. I guess it was just my filter.

Or maybe you don't know how to oil a filter. :o You have to make sure you spray down into the pleats, soaking the chit out of it on the outside won't make a difference. I think Rico was the one that said he even puts some special grease on the air filter boot before he slides it on and clamps it down, just to make sure nothing gets between the filter and the intake tube.