PDA

View Full Version : LS oklahoma march 18-21

allmixedup047
01-25-2005, 12:26 AM
i think we are heading down to LS oklahoma to do some dune riding march 18-21. just seeing if anyone from the site is going to be down that weekend. we are camping in the oasis camp ground and already have our site reserved. its spring break weekend so it might be pretty busy. hope to see some of you down there!:)

peace
chris

kazpr
01-25-2005, 12:39 AM
will do my best to be there also!!

zephead400ex
01-25-2005, 09:16 AM
What's up man? I tried pm you back but your box was full...:rolleyes: ....your supposed to take a dump every once in a while:macho

On March 19th were going to Kansas City to see Killswitch Engage!!!!http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/rockout.gif Figures, we come up your way, you come ours!:) But, we talked about not going spring break, just the fact that there are going to be so many people packed into the campgrounds. I still cant believe they've taken more measures to accomodate the people.

The Oasis campground, watch out, it's all dirt/sand up there! When we went in November it was windy. There were trucks and trailers comeing out of there completely covered in red dirt and sand, nasty stuff! Hopefully they've done something to cut down on all that crap blowing....but....it's Oklahoma, don't count on it!:)

aviator4
01-25-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey guys,

Actually, yeah, we have. We have put down more gravel and are currently working on putting up better cabling between the campsites, painting the pipe that the cable attaches to, etc. We've also put up a bunch of railroad ties to help with erosion. It is Oklahoma though, so there's only so much we can do. There are talks of all kinds of new things to go in, including wireless broadband internet access, but we'll see.

Remember, these are new campsites, so they will get better with time.

We hope to have the area accross the road from the current sites up and running before SnakeHunt weekend, so look for those soon.

Also going in is a new restaurant called the "Heel Clicker Cafe" right next to (what was) the Oasis. The Oasis is undergoing a MAJOR remodel, but we've made sure to keep the gas pumps going.

zephead400ex, What did you think of the reservation system? Any input would be appreciated. It's also new, and seems to be working failry smoothly, but we are always interested in input from everyone.

kssandduner
01-26-2005, 12:40 AM
I don't understand why the reservations have a four night minimum?? So if I decide to pack up my tent for a weekend trip, and I get there on saturday, and I leave on sunday I have to pay $64???? Does anyone else think that's rediculous??? And then if I do go ahead and fork over the $64, the spot I reserved is wasted for anyone else cause I have it reserved for four days when I only need it for two. When I was down there last time my family and I checked out some of the reserved spots down from the Oasis, and we thought they looked terribly small. Just my opinion.

Joe

aviator4
01-26-2005, 07:42 AM
Remember, not all the sites are priced the same. The reservation system now shows you what each site costs, as well as the exact dimensions and the square footage of the site BEFORE you reserve it (it shows on the map page). This should allow you enough opportunity to determine how you want to arrange your site before you get there or whether or not a large RV or trailer will fit etc..

Some of these sites are large enough to hold two semis (rig included) in the same campground. And yes, some of them are small. It's kinda like the state sites... some are large, some are small.

It is possible to show up and use a campsite without reserving it. All you have to do is show up at the camping managers office (down by the Oasis) and tell them you need a site for *however many* night(s). They will hook you up. It doesn't take but a few minutes to get your site and permit and your off. They will bend over backwards to accomodate you. And yes, you can use a site for ONE night... you just can't reserve it ahead of time.

There is a four night minimum on reservations because of the amount of effort that goes into making sure the site is ready before you get there. Making sure the site is vacated in time, cleaning it up if need be, putting out fires, and in some cases, raking it, setting out the "reserved" signs, And soon, there will be a system in place to allow people to pay for firewood when they make a reservation and have it in their campground waiting for them when they arrive (and yes, you can still bring your own if you'd prefer) So, there are some logistics involved.

I know 4 nights seems a little long, but there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes to make the reservations possible. Once we get the whole "reservation dance" down this year, we may look at reducing the minimum. Remember, this has never been done at Little Sahara before. and we must be doing something right, Snake Hunt weekend is sold out!

allmixedup047
01-26-2005, 11:50 AM
yeah, we reserved spot number 14, we have a 33ft toy hauler and an f-250 4door. how will that fit in the camp site? is there going to be enough space? and another question is, are there any fire rings in the sites? whats the rule on fires? are there any pick nick tables on the sites? we have a lot of people coming down with us and we are probably going to need to pitch a tent in the site as well. will there be enough room for that?

sorry for all the questions, but we are just trying to get an idea of what all is going to need to be done when we get there.

and i think the reservation thing is great now that they took all the camping off the roads. i think they screwed up when they did that because the state could have made a lot of money if they kept that. but oh well. little sahara allready brings in almost 75% of oklahomas state parks money.

thanks

aviator4
01-26-2005, 11:58 AM
Site number 14 is 37 x 55 or 2035 square feet. I don't think you'll have a problem getting in there!

As far as campfires are concerned, no there are no campfire rings at the sites.We recommend digging a pit for your fire to make it easy to extinguish when you're done. The rules and reg's on campfires are pretty leanient and are at the bottom of your permit that you printed up.

for quick reference here they are:

Campfires: All state issued fire warnings apply to our campsites. This includes the no open fires on "Red Flag Fire Alert Days" (Barbecue GAS grills are allowed at all times). All fires are to be kept at a reasonable size so as not to be a nuisance to other campers. Campers not heeding burn bans will have fires extinguished and camping permits revoked for the remainder of the stay with NO REFUND. The Burning of noxious fume-emitting items such as Large plastic bottles, garbage, Magnesium engine cases etc is STICTLY FORBIDDEN.

allmixedup047
01-26-2005, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
Site number 14 is 37 x 55 or 2035 square feet. I don't think you'll have a problem getting in there!

As far as campfires are concerned, no there are no campfire rings at the sites.We recommend digging a pit for your fire to make it easy to extinguish when you're done. The rules and reg's on campfires are pretty leanient and are at the bottom of your permit that you printed up.

for quick reference here they are:

Campfires: All state issued fire warnings apply to our campsites. This includes the no open fires on "Red Flag Fire Alert Days" (Barbecue GAS grills are allowed at all times). All fires are to be kept at a reasonable size so as not to be a nuisance to other campers. Campers not heeding burn bans will have fires extinguished and camping permits revoked for the remainder of the stay with NO REFUND. The Burning of noxious fume-emitting items such as Large plastic bottles, garbage, Magnesium engine cases etc is STICTLY FORBIDDEN.

thank you very much and you hve been very helpfull.

allmixedup047
01-26-2005, 10:35 PM
you wouldnt by any chance know how much a set of 20inch 7 or 8 paddle haulers are ? on and off rims please? i didnt know if you knew how much little sahara power sports has them for or not. and do i get a discount for having there sticker on the back of my truck?:blah:

aviator4
01-27-2005, 07:42 AM
Sure, I can get you a price, no problem. What are they going on and what type of wheel do you want them priced with? Typically they put 'em on Douglas Black Labels, but they also have ITP's, including the C-series machined wheels, which are SWEET!

aviator4
01-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Oh, I didn't answer all of your questions about the campsites. Sorry...

as far as picnic tables, no there aren't any in the campsites yet. There may be in thefuture though. We're looking at options as to what to put out there. The cement tables that the state has out aren't all that great. They are heavy and most of them are beginning to sink into the soft soil the wooden ones rot too fast and the plastic ones are too light-duty, so we're still searching for a good alternative.

And pitching a tent - sure, pitch as many as you want. you rented the site - there are no limits on how many tent's or RV's you can have in each one (within reason of course) - and no plans to impose one (unlike the state).

Taking the campig off the roads did suck, thats true. After seeing the erosion problems first-hand, I can see their point, but they needed to have a solution to the camping issue BEFORE they banned roadside camping. The state has no plans to expand camping at this time though.

However, we do have plans to continue expanding our camping in the future. Luckily, we're on private land, and have only begun to tap the resource. The hope is that once we're big enough, the state will set up another gate down near us. We've allready agreed to do the roadwork and setup of the gate. We've even agreed to take gate admission money for them so they wouldn't have to hire more staff. We'll see what happens.

Bad Habit
01-27-2005, 09:31 AM
And pitching a tent - sure, pitch as many as you want. you rented the site - there are no limits on how many tent's or RV's you can have in each one (within reason of course) - and no plans to impose one (unlike the state).

So you're saying that you are not charging per sleeping unit like the state does? I think this is great, and the way it should be! Like you said, I rented it, so I should be able to set up a few tents if thats what my parties' sleeping requirements are.

Also let me say that I for one am thrilled to see the online reservation system. I'm sure that there will be some hiccups, but that goes with anything new. For me, no more worries during my 6 hour drive on if I'm going to be lucky and have a water/elec site when I get there. That in and of itself is worth paying a couple extra dollars for the spot. However, I would like to see the minimum reservation brought down to 3 nights. ;)

It sounds like you guys have some pretty ambitious plans. Keep up the good work. Are you the owner of the Oasis?

zephead400ex
01-27-2005, 10:07 AM
As of yet, I have not reserved any spots so my input is minimal!:) The state of OK is really lacking in the "park improvement" area. It seems that they are now expecting private ventures to bring money to the park.

Brian, one of my buddies, bought the Oasis in late October and had hoped to renovate the store. But, I guess that fell through, just like everything else has at the Oasis. I was told that the Millers (could be aviator4?) bought the store. I think it would be sweet to have another entrence to the dunes by the new restaurant and bike shop too.

Keep us informed on how everything is comeing together.http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/cheers.gif

aviator4
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
hehe.. no, I'm not Donnie, Zep. Sorry. I do know him though. I am the admin on the waynoka.com (http://www.waynoka.com) site (I go by ismaster on the boards) and am good friends with him.

I'm not sure that I am at liberty to say who own the Oasis right now, but I can tell you this: they have deep pockets and are serious duning enthusiasts. They are really pouring the money into the (private) Little Sahara infrastructure to turn the state park into a meca of duning. I know Little Sahara is no Glamis, but it's the closest thing to it for guys in our area. There's no shortage of Patrons and it obvious that the state isn't going to do it.

I'll try to keep everyone up to date on whats going on up there, but the updates always happen faster on the waynoka.com (http://www.waynoka.com) site.

aviator4
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Bad Habit,

Thanks for the kind words. We are really working our butts of our there. No, I don't own the oasis. Lets just say I have a vested interst in whats going on out there.

eventually, the reservation minimum requirement will go down, maybe to only 2 nights, but right now, 4 is where it stands. Once we get all the kinks worked out and are able to "turn a campsite around" faster, we will lower the reservation minimums. And you're right, we have NO plans to put constraints on the number of people in a campsite... within reason of course. packing 50 people into a single site might be stretching it a little, you think?

We are currently working on opening up more campsites to reservations and adding some features to the system to allow people to pre-pay and reserve rental paddle tires and order firewood when they rent their sites.

There has been a surprising amount of interest in doing a yearly lease on a campisite as well, so we are looking at ways to make that happen with minimum impact on available sites to reservations and walk-ins.

And, if that isn't enough, we are working on organizing more "official" events out there... like the new SandJam that's going on this year. We hope to have some bands, and do some other cool stuff. The biggest roadblock right now is securing insurance for some of the events. Ultimatley, we'd like to do a scramble or two or a poker run on the dunes or something. The kinds of things everyone can get involved in and have a good time. oh, and yes... bring back the drags - again, insurance is a big problem here so drag races are up in the air right now.

spud400ex
01-27-2005, 11:50 AM
when is sandjam? i heard it is the third weekend of june.

i will most likely be down march 18-20:blah:

allmixedup047
01-27-2005, 12:13 PM
aviator4, i dont care what rims they are going on, the cheaper the better. i was planning on seeing if he would want to work in a trade deal with my sand stars, they are pretty much brand new and only have 2 dune trips on them. thanks for your help.

aviator4
01-27-2005, 12:14 PM
It's the weekend of June 18th

aviator4
01-27-2005, 12:15 PM
allmixedup047,

Why are you getting rid of your SandStars?

I will get you pricing on a set on blue labels to save some cost.

Bad Habit
01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Avaiator, the info that you have provided thus far is much appreciated. Again, sounds like you guys have some great plans in the works. Things of this nature will make the place more enjoyable for the visitors, stimulate revenue for the community, and put some money in the pockets of the investors (I assume this would be desirable for you ;) )

I have no problems with the reservation minimum right now, because it's light years ahead of what the other options are for ensuring a camping spot. I think we are on the same page with regards to campsite limitations, a camper and a tent or two, or three or so tents, not a problem. 50 people spread out all over in lawnchairs and pickup beds, not good. It sounds like you guys are getting a good handle on things and are using a realistic approach to it.

Well, now I'm confused some. I thought dmiller was the admin on waynoka.com. But that was just an assumption on my part.

We have a somewhat large group ride planned for the middle of March down there. Here is a link to the info. (http://www.trx450r.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=4499)

allmixedup047
01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
allmixedup047,

Why are you getting rid of your SandStars?

I will get you pricing on a set on blue labels to save some cost.

i really do like them but just not for draging and hill climbing. im a big guy so i need a little more paddle.:macho

aviator4
01-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Youre right dmiller is the admin - acutally, he's the owner. We are both admins on the site. I've done all the programming on the site and my company hosts the message boards for him.

next time you're there, look up on the address bar, any address ending in .cgi is my handiwork. I also came up with the new look of the site. I even overhauled the "ask don" pages so that Don could log in and answer questions without having to exchange emails back and forth with Donnie miller... he just loves that!

So, in conjunction with Donnie, I am an admin.... clear as mud?

kssandduner
01-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for all your input aviator4!!! You answered all my questions and then some. It sounds like you guys have everything under control, I think I got worried for nothing. Keep up the good work! :macho

Joe

zephead400ex
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Sandjam!...I have probably at least one band, possibly 2 that would interested in playing. When my buddy and I contacted Donnie about this last year, he was all for it but too late of notice to Sandfest.

Here are the 2 bands. MFG is almost definitely a shoe-in. Their page is under construction. www.myfathersgun.com & www.kaoticcircle.com

Aviator4, one more thing, make waynoka.com compatible with Mozilla!:D

Just bustin' your balls man! Take care!

aviator4
01-27-2005, 02:23 PM
zephead400ex,

Yeah, I know... Firefox is kickin my butt. I don't know what the prob is.. but then again I haven't really looked into it... I guess I shoudl do that.

You talked to Don or Donnie about having the band out this year? really? It was too late? Are you sure? Give the guys at Little Sahara Power Sports a call at 580-824-0569 and talk with Lance (or leave him a message).

kssandduner,
Thanks again! stay tuned for further developments!

allmixedup047,
Okay, pricing:

LSPS isn't placing an order for haulers intil mid feb to the end of march (start of the season), so they won't be in until then BUT:

for the haulers on Douglas wheels you're loking at $269, for just the tires you're lookin at $169. As far as a trade in, they said "heck yeah! Come on in we'll make him a deal."

So there ya go.

slick250
01-27-2005, 07:51 PM
aviator, I think you did a great job on the reservation system. I would not want the entire park as a reservation only, but I think it is great that there are some that are. I have #19 and #20 reserved for a bunch of us Kansas boys for Snakehunt and can't wait. I think that the developments in progress at the Oasis area are great and much needed, and I hope anyone investing in this project is well rewarded.:cool:

allmixedup047
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
thats again aviator, we need to hook up when we get down there and shoot the chit one of the nights if your up to it.:) anyways thanks again.

p.s. so does that mean he will have them in by march 18th?

zephead400ex
01-28-2005, 09:17 AM
aviator, I thought it was Donnie, could have ben Don, hell, that was a few cases and bottles ago!:D

I talked with Rob, lead singer of MFG, he has already spoken with someone and has hashed everything out. Guess their on the bill!http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/soreneck.gif

I was just giving ya chit about Firefox...but IE is the biggest POS, IMO!:p

Later bro!

aviator4
01-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Zep,

Yeah, it's a POS, but it's the most popular browser out right now, so you have to program for the masses. We will eventually make it mozilla capable. My plate's kinda full at the moment.

allmixedup047,

Yeah, he should have them by then. Just drop in and talk to 'em. They try to keep haulers in stock.

It'd be awesome to hook up out there, but we'd have to time it right, I don't live out there. (I am in Oklahoma City). But my website usually shows when we plan on being out there next on the main page. you can see it here (http://www.ismasters.com/atvxtreme/) .
We usually travel in a group with my yellow 400ex (check my sig), a DS650, a red 400ex a yellow 250ex, and a bunch of kids quads. We usually also have a white older pop-up trailer with a big "little sahara sand dunes" sticker on the side of it surrounded by tribal flames. Though, it's due to be re-painted this year and may not have the stickers on first trip out.

zephead400ex
02-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Looks like the Zephead's will be there in full force!http://www.kcisp.net/~pbryant/Smilies/headbanging.gif

allmixedup047
02-25-2005, 04:21 PM
thanks god. i dont know what the dunes would be like without you guys.:blah: