PDA

View Full Version : jetting help

EPDP99
01-24-2005, 09:13 PM
ok, mife wife has a polaris scrambler 500 2x4. it had a real bad pooping about 1/4-1/2 throttle and when engine was running it would pour fuel out the float bowl overflow tube. It was fouling plugs. it had been sitting a while so i knew it needed a good cleaning. So i tear the carb apart and clean it. I take the bowl of the carb off, remove jets floats and needle and clean thouroughly. well now it idles great. only thing is on these carbs throttle controls a butterfly vavle like the honda choke. the slide and needle have like a plunger piece of rubber to seal upper from lower portion of carb. the slide is held down by a spring. the spring goes from the top of the carb over the needle(i guess to hold the needle down but it holds the slide down). where im confused is this. it ran great all the way through throttle range, just with no power. so i look down the carb with filter off and engine running. give it gas and the butterfly opens but the slide never mooves( thats why theres no power) but there is nothing that make the slide move, no cables. so i push the slide up manually and it doesnt come back down. still idles great but now it dies above anything but idle. does anyone know what makes the slide move up and down on these carbs. I can only think of is the pressure of incoming air that goes to the upper part of the plunger to push it down but the incoming air forces the slide up. if this makes since. Please help me out here.

PunkA$$
01-25-2005, 10:53 AM
That would be a CV carb (constant velocity). It's the negative air pressure created by the intake that raises the slide. Check this out. http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/CVcarb.html

EPDP99
01-25-2005, 08:12 PM
thanks, anything else out there on these??