View Full Version : Another stupid question Im sure..

300exrolla
01-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Ok, Ive searched the forum for a solid explanation on how to read atv tires sizes, with no real luck. Could some of you guys please explain to me what these #s in the tire sizes mean ? LOL I know to some of you guys who have been around quads for a long time this question is gonna sound pretty stupid, lol but its confusing as $#%! to me. One more thing...when looking at wheel/tire packages on Rockymountain's site I see different combos with douglas alumn wheels in .125, .160, and .190...does this mean the thickness of the aluminum used in making the wheel? Keep in mind on the tires..the ones Im looking at buying is ITP Holeshots, for the rear..I dont really do any racing, mainly trail, terrain riding and occasionally some sand at a local river park. Just needing some general knowledge on the subject here guys..someone help me out lol.

300exrolla:devil:

maskale
01-24-2005, 08:15 PM
18X10X8 The first number is the diameter of the tire, the second is the width and the last is the rim size needed to fit the tire on. The .125, .160, and .190 is the thickness of the rim, the bigger the number the stronger the rim. The .190 will be the strongest, for trail riding you may be able to get the .160 rims, but I would recomend the .190, because even those can bend if you hit something hard enough, so I would go with the .190.

Don't worry about asking what may seem like a stupid question, there is nobody here that knows everything, even though some think they do.

If you need any more info just ask.

416exmx
01-24-2005, 08:18 PM
20x6x10....20=heigth, 6=width, 10=wheel diameter

and yes you have the thickness right. I would stay with .190 for the rear and .160 or .125 for the fronts.

Also if you have a wheel that is 8x8.5.... it is 8" diameter and 8.5" wide.

Try to match tires to the rims also... ex, a tire that is 18x10x8 will fit better on a 8.5" wheel other than a 8" wide wheel. and if you have a tire that is 18x9.5x8 it goes better on a 8" wide wheel. get my drift???

From the sounds of things you should stay with a stock size tires which is (for a 400ex) 20x10x9 rears and 21x7x10 fronts. for mx you go smaller and for xc go bigger in size... Hope this hepls

300exrolla
01-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys, the quad in question is a 300ex. With my type(s) of riding what would be a reccomended size for the rear, Im planning on ordering a wheel/tire combo from someplace, Rockymnt seems to have the best prices. I want the whell/tire combo, mainly so Ill have the ole stockers for a back up when Im out riding. Thx for the replies.

300exrolla:devil: