PDA

View Full Version : Raced for the first time ever this weekend

Razorback
04-29-2002, 08:40 AM
I entered my first race ever this weekend and had a blast. It was a mx race with the TQRA (Texoma Quad Racing Assoc.) I have rode quads for less than two years now and have only done trail riding, albeit some very agressive and technical, but nothing like mx riding. I rode on my first mx track to practice last week and absolutely loved it, so I decided to enter the race.

I entered in the amateur and 4 stroke open classes and finished 10 out of 15 and 13 out of 16 respectively. Not very good finishes, but not dead last, and I didn't crash or get hurt, which was my main concern going in. I had intended on riding real safe and just staying behind everyone, but when you get in the middle of all those quads the adrenaline just took over. I was hitting some fairly big tabletops and doubles that I didn't intend to, but I just got caught up in the moment and didn't even think about what I was doing. It was so much fun.

Some observations from my first quad race (either to attend or to be in):

I don't think quad racing is near as big here in Texas as it is in the northeast, so I was quite surprised at how many trick quads there were. Lots of big, expensive trucks and trailers, filled with quads I normally only see in magazines (and in the readers rides on exriders.com of course :) ). I've been around rodeo folks a lot, and the quad racing scene is very similar to how much money and time people put into the sport. I was very impressed by all this.

I talked with several of the riders and everyone was real friendly. It really is a group of people doing something they love and supporting a great sport. Riders were very serious during the races, but before and after, people were just great to talk to.

The pro riders are unbelievable! TV and video give you no idea of how good and fast these guys really are. The best pro there was a guy named Johnny Hale. He pretty much smoked the rest of the field, but all the pro riders were just amazing to me. During intermission, Johnny did some freestyle tricks and it was awesome, things I had only seen on Huevos before.

Aftermarket shocks and extended a-arms and axle are my first order of business before my next race. I bottomed out several times and beat my body up a little, but everyone I talked to said that the shocks would make a world of difference. I think I want to get +2 a-arms, and to save on money, just get spacers for the rear to start out with. Also, I'm looking at Elka or Works shocks for the front, leaving the rear stock for now. I have to keep within a certain budget for now, so I know there are better solutions, but any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I'm pretty stoked after the great time I had this weekend. I've got some video of the pro race that I will post later. I've been on exriders.com for over a year and really appreciate all the tips and information many of you have provided.

Texan32
04-29-2002, 09:55 AM
Where exactly was the race at? I'm currently living in ND, but am trying to get an asignment to Lackland AFB (San Antonio), but i have alot of friends up in Dallas the i visit all the time. What part are you from? Future plans are to buy some land in San Antone and build my own track.

Anyhow, i am in the same boat you are as far as trickin' out the quad. You will hear alot of people rant and rave that one is better than the other. Works and Elka are both good shocks. Both are going to be a dramatic improvement. After talking with the guys at Quadshop, they honestly recommend the Elka's without rez's over the Works with rez's. He also said its easy to add rez's later. But, this coming from a shop the makes $$$ from what they sell. From what i've heard, rez's aren't really needed unless your a serious racer. They help keep the gas and lube cooler, hence making the shock last longer between rebuilds. I think your pretty much like me, a weekend warrior...with a little bit of racing. The Elka triple's without rez's is exactly what i'm getting next month (gotta save up a little). Along with that, i'm gonna send my stocker rear shock off to Quadshop for tem to rebuild it. (respring and revalve it for your weight).

Hope this helps a little. Oh yeah, good job on your race.

Razorback
04-29-2002, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the comments. The race was at Four States MX in Hooks, Texas, which is just a few miles west of Texarkana. Most of the TQRA races, however, are a lot closer to Dallas, most within an hour's drive of anywhere in the metroplex. You can visit http://www.tqra.com for their schedule. I live in Flower Mound, which is about 15 miles north of downtown Dallas.

There were some riders from San Antonio at the race, so you wouldn't be alone driving that far. That would be cool to build your own track. I would love to be able to do that, but I don't see it happening for me for a few years.

Thanks for the info on the shocks. I was a little confused about what benefit the rezzies have. I plan on going to several races, but like you said, I'm more of a weekend warrior, and don't plan on sinking many thousands of more $ into my quad and getting into hardcore racing. Not that I wouldn't mind doing so, but I don't have the time or the money to do so.

jshtex
04-29-2002, 02:00 PM
My son raced for the first time (MX Anyway) on sunday in Tyler Tx. At Swan MX. There were a lot of quads that had been there with you the night before. I had heard that there were 90 or so there? We had 33 in Tyler. He raced amature open and placed 15th overall out of 26 quads. His experience drag racing really helped out with the starts, in the first moto he was in third going into the first turn and in the second he was in seventh. I think he was riding a little over his head and he kept having problems that would back him up. But he had fun and wants to continue. We will probably see you at a TQRA race!

Razorback
04-29-2002, 02:11 PM
That's great. Sounds like your son's off to a great start. The holeshot and getting through the first turn quickly seems to be the key to finishing good. Frankly, I was a little terrified going into my first turn with 15 other quads stacked up together. I'm sure the experience of dealing with that comes with time.

Yeah, we actually had over 100 riders for our races. The TQRA folks said it was the first time they had over 100 racers. That would be great if you can make a TQRA race. PM me before you go to one. It would be cool for all the EXRiders.com riders to meet and hang out.

Evan
04-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Cool sounds alot like me. I raced for my first time 2weeks ago, got 7th in the 4stroke class, out of 12 quads. Should have had a 3rd place finish, I was in 3rd in the 1st moto and a guy tried to pass and I wrecked, couldnt figure out why it wouldnt start(kill switch) Second moto I got 4th. I raced for my second time last night and got 2nd overall. a 4th and 3rd in the motos. You are right, at my track the holeshot is 90 % of the race. Our track is so small even if your a faster rider than the person in front of you its hard to pass. I usally finish the same as I go into the turn IE 3rd or 4th, and yeah its gets a little scary with all the quads around you, we get in some bumping and banging alot. There was alot of quads at our race also, the largest ever at the track. I need motor work now to get out front to get good holeshots, I have a piped 400 running against 416s and 440s.

OCCRA288
04-29-2002, 03:17 PM
You mentioned Johnny Hale, I'm riding with him tomorrow @ Cooperland in Stillwater, Oklahoma. I've talked with him at Stillwater Honda, they sponsor us both. And he's really down to earth.

Razorback
04-29-2002, 03:34 PM
X-Rider - sounds like you're off to a great start. i fear the kill switch thing. i just know i'm going to have it pulled out sometime and not be able to figure out why the quad won't start.

OCCRA288 - that's really cool you get to ride with him. i can only imagine the riding tips he could give. i didn't realize what greatness he was at the race, but then i did some searching on the internet and saw that he is a pretty big player in the national scene. i wanted to meet him, but didn't want to beat him down any more than he already was with all the other people coming up to him. it may not matter much, but when you see him, tell him to come to some more of the TQRA races. i'd love for some of my friends to see him ride. by the way, you should also come down if you ride mx and don't mind traveling to the DFW area.

OCCRA288
04-29-2002, 03:42 PM
I believe Johnny goes to all of the TQRA series. I want to go to Greenville to race it nut I don't know if I I'll be able to. Prolly run a 4 stroke B or something.

Razorback
04-29-2002, 04:16 PM
cool. hopefully you can make it.

OCCRA288
04-29-2002, 04:18 PM
hopefully i still gotta get a killswitch for my 400 though.

04-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Thats cool.I am 15 and I think I am under age to race.I am pretty sure you have to be 16.But anyway,I will hopefully be racing my first race in several months.

Razorback
04-30-2002, 06:39 PM
yeah, it depends on where you're racing. some places, especially at a national level or national qualifying event, you have to be 16 to ride anything above a 90, but, for example, in the race I went to, the guy that finished third overall in the pro class is only 14. from what I understand, he's going to race at nationals, but has to race on a 90. can you imagine getting to race a 250r or 400ex in one race, then stepping down to a 90 in another?

04-30-2002, 07:13 PM
I don't think I could stand that!The 90 would feel so,so much under powered.I doubt he does as near as good in the nationals on that 90.:D

killerkx327
04-30-2002, 10:36 PM
well first i wanna congratulate you on your first race,thats always the hardest one.
now that you've been bitten by the race bug you'll will become an addict i gaurantee it, just keep going and remember to always have fun.
a racer for a moment is always better then a spectator for life!!!!:cool:

Razorback
05-01-2002, 07:14 AM
thanks for the response killer. i think i'm already addicted, wanting new shocks, a-arms, swing arm, axle, shaved plastic, yada, yada, yada...it's amazing how engulfed you can get into a sport like this, after like you say, get bitten by the bug.

my goals are in this order, 1) be safe and finish in one piece, 2) have fun, 3) worry about how i finish/place. that may change as i race more, but i've still got a long way to go before i'm totally comfortable on the track. going to practice tonight, though :)