PDA

View Full Version : break in time?

gtivdubdude
01-23-2005, 10:41 PM
I have asked a few questions about my bike on here already but i want to ask another question. I have installed a 426 kit. And would like to know what a good brake in time would be? How would you know if it is broken in?
Thanks

gtivdubdude
01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Also it wont hurt anything not running race gas will it? It's 11.1 with K&N, yohso full exhaust, stock cam, white bros rev box, and I have changed the main jet to 150 from 148. It seems to run like a top. When i hit the gas i get a puff of black smoke so i think it's got enough fuel. I also turned the main jet screw out to 3 full turns out.
Thanks

400hondaex
01-24-2005, 08:46 AM
There are so many post on this you can do a search im sure you will find out a lot. Heres a site that might help you Link (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm) :D Just make sure you don't use synthetic oil when breaking it in.

400exnac
01-24-2005, 02:59 PM
why no synthetic oil when breaking it in?

400hondaex
01-24-2005, 06:48 PM
this is straight from the link
Q: If break- in happens so quickly, why do you recommend using petroleum break- in oil for 1500 miles ??

A: Because while about 80% of the ring sealing takes place in the first hour of running the engine,
the last 20% of the process takes a longer time. Street riding isn't a controlled environment, so most of the mileage may
not be in "ring loading mode". Synthetic oil is so slippery that it actually "arrests" the break in process before the rings can seal completely. I've had a few customers who switched to synthetic oil too soon, and the rings never sealed properly no matter how hard they rode. Taking a new engine apart to re - ring it is the last thing anyone wants to do, so I recommend a lot
of mileage before switching to synthetic. It's really a "better safe than sorry" situation.

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by gtivdubdude
Also it wont hurt anything not running race gas will it? It's 11.1 with K&N, yohso full exhaust, stock cam, white bros rev box, and I have changed the main jet to 150 from 148. It seems to run like a top. When i hit the gas i get a puff of black smoke so i think it's got enough fuel. I also turned the main jet screw out to 3 full turns out.
Thanks

First off you definitely dont need to run race gas with the 11:1. Mostly because its not even close to 11:1 if your running all of the gaskets. Also I would go up on your main some more. I was running a 152 -155 with just my slip-on and open air box. I would say get a 155 and a 160 and play around with those for a bit. Also turn in your screw a little bit. I dont think your getting the black smoke from your main. It might be too rich from the screw. Usual setup for most owners is 2 1/4-2 1/2 tunrs out. Obviously this will be different for everyone though. But I would at least go up on your main some more. Also did you go up in your pilot jet too??

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by gtivdubdude
Thanks

Almost forgot to tell you....... GET RID OF THE K&N!!! Trust me on this one. Get a UNI or something, just get rid of that, especially if you run no lid. Even if you dont I would still ditch it.........

Rico
01-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Almost forgot to tell you....... GET RID OF THE K&N!!! Trust me on this one. Get a UNI or something, just get rid of that, especially if you run no lid. Even if you dont I would still ditch it.........

Why.

I"ve been running the same K&N Filter for 4 years and have not had any problems with it.

I broke my freshly built motor in with Synthetic about 2 weeks ago. Started it up and ran the piss out of it...:eek2:

gtivdubdude
01-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Well I already broke the engine in for the most part with "part" synthetic, I changed the oil to honda oil yesterday. I have ran the engine a total of about 1 hour all together. And i did NOT run it hard. I was told by the "guy" at the local shop to run the motor in fairly easy. Wih short burts of full throttle. It seems to run fine though. Running the engine easy wort hurt anything will it? Like I said I cracked it here and there but I did not rip it hard the whole time. I have not changed the pilot jet yet.

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Why.

I"ve been running the same K&N Filter for 4 years and have not had any problems with it.

I broke my freshly built motor in with Synthetic about 2 weeks ago. Started it up and ran the piss out of it...:eek2:

Well for me anyways without my airbox lid, everytime I pulled the filter off there was sand and dirt lying in my air intake tube. Just didn't want to chance it again with my fresh motor.

Usually you break it in like your going to ride it.

ZSK
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I run the piss out of it, just don't stay full throttle very long. For the K&N clean it properly and keep it oiled you'll never have a propblem with it.;)

400exrider707
01-25-2005, 05:32 PM
I cleaned and oiled my every time I rode it and it still let dirt through.

gtivdubdude
01-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Well, even though i did not run the "piss out of it" Will the out come still be a good running motor?

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Just as long as you properly loaded the rings. If you let the thing sit there and idle for 2 hours then it will prolly burn oil. Just as long as you rode the thing and shifted gears and got on it you should be ok.

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey Rico what kind of oil do you run in your quad. Also what kind of filter oil did you use on your K&N. I used PJ1 for a while then I even used klotz foamin oil and I still had dirt in there:mad:

Fast350ex
01-26-2005, 08:33 PM
You're supposed to used the K&N filter cleaner and oil

Rico
01-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Hey Rico what kind of oil do you run in your quad. Also what kind of filter oil did you use on your K&N. I used PJ1 for a while then I even used klotz foamin oil and I still had dirt in there:mad:

I only use K&N oil and cleaner on the filter. I also put grease on the inside of the airboot were the filter slides in. That is usually were crap gets in. It's not the filter but the loose connection between the filter and airboot.