PDA

View Full Version : help with axle nut please

infinite
01-23-2005, 10:31 PM
ok i just put my dura blue x-33 axle on and got it all hooked up and ready to go but i wanted to ask u guys about the axle nut. i put it all on and it says to torque the axle nut to 65 ft lbs and the locking nut to 95 ft lbs, but how do u do this when theres no way to read the torque. i used a pipe wrench to tighten it and also to torque the locking nut on. but i just wanted to see with u guys to make sure that i cant screw something up by over tightening. i didnt tighten it my hardest but i did put some wrenching in on it.

infinite
01-24-2005, 10:57 AM
come on any info boyz would be much appreciated

Martin Blair
01-24-2005, 11:26 AM
go to your dealer and get the wrech set, you put a 1/2drive torque wrench in the wrech end and turn it, heres a pic of motion pro one

infinite
01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
let me ask u this then can u over tighten these things cause im sure i put more then 65 torque on this thing but right now its nice and tight n there is no dealer that even has those there they all do the same sh*t i did and use pipe wrenchs or big *** box ends so please let me know if u can over tighten these cause if so im gonna half to get those and do it like that i asked the service guys at honda and they said u cant but those lame asses cant do **** right i had to teach them how to put bead locks on right so please let me know thank u

ridered-450r
01-24-2005, 01:05 PM
sry to change the subject..but i already got the 46mm wrench but no one(inluding my dealer) has got the 56mm wrench...u guys know where i could get one at?

infinite
01-24-2005, 01:31 PM
can someone answer my second question cause all i want to know is it cool if i over tighten it by alittle????

450 Racer R
01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
it should be fine. no matter how much you tighten your stock nut it's gonna come loose. if it does just throw on some lock tite and tighten back up. I torqued mine down pretty good with the pipe wrench and after two rides it was loose

outacontrol31
01-24-2005, 01:41 PM
be careful about over tightening that thing, it is possible to do damage, i figured out after 3 bearing carrier failures that putting a 2 foot long crest and a pipe wrench on them nuts was causeing my bearing carrier to much stress which resulted in it screwing up the bearings, i now just tighten the lock nuts up just a bit past hand tight, then wrap it with black tape to keep it from backing off, it works well, hope this helps

infinite
01-24-2005, 01:47 PM
thanks alot i just wanted to make sure cause im used to working on race cars and if u over tighten a wheel bearing it jams it up and burns out the bearing i just wanted to make sure its not like that on a quad axle bearing also i was afraid it might pop the gasket out or something. i also packed it full of synthetic wheel bearing grease to make sure shes nice and lube up " just like we like them huh guys" lol

01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
i usualy go prety tight (2ft pipe wrench) then back off a LITTLE. then tighten the lock nut and wrap it w/ duct tape. 1009 uses:D

maskale
01-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by outacontrol31
be careful about over tightening that thing, it is possible to do damage, i figured out after 3 bearing carrier failures that putting a 2 foot long crest and a pipe wrench on them nuts was causeing my bearing carrier to much stress which resulted in it screwing up the bearings, i now just tighten the lock nuts up just a bit past hand tight, then wrap it with black tape to keep it from backing off, it works well, hope this helps

I agree 100%. It does not need to be that tight. The problem is the stock nut. I got a RAD nut off ebay that has some allen bolts in it and it lets you tighten the nut up and then tighten the allen bolts so the nut does not come lose. It only needs to be hand tight, once you have taken the play out of the axle going any tighter is just wearing your bearings out.
I know with the stock nut you almost have to over tighten it to make it stay tight, but put some lock tight on it, tighten it up and let it set a few hours so the locktight with dry, or get an aftermarket nut.

450 Racer R
01-24-2005, 07:14 PM
the locking nut, the one closest to the carrier, is the one that you want to tighten up pretty good.