PDA

View Full Version : tecate 4

Lt250r*68
01-23-2005, 03:24 PM
does n e one no y they stoped makin the kawasaki tecate 4??

bradley300
01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
they were madein 87 and 88

crappyblaster88
01-23-2005, 07:04 PM
i heard they had real bad reliability and thats why they stopped making them,but i could be wrong. They where the fastest's 250 in stock form tho. i'd get one if i could get one.

tom

250Racing88
03-09-2005, 05:52 PM
my uncle always had his in the shop gettin fixed more than he was riding it but when it was up and running wooooo fast machine the problem was relibility with eletrical and engine

Jimford
03-18-2005, 11:52 PM
I rode my cousins when he had it a long time ago. It was fast. The ride height sucked. It was too high and narrow like a raptor but not as bad. He didn't have many problems with it though. Kawasaki always had the fastest stuff but everything else was crap. Look at the tecate. Fastest in a drag but everything else sucked!!

cheetah
04-03-2005, 06:33 PM
I bought one a while back in really good shape. I had no intents on making it a racer though more or less a fun project and maybe something to take to the drag strip and play on. The motor is out right now getting a kx top end bored to 300 with full port and polish, new delta 2 reeds, a lectron carb, and a bunch of other little goodies. I should have it back together in a couple months.

diesel-mech
08-13-2005, 03:46 AM
kawasaki stopped production of the tecate because of the law suites that where going on back then. Honda had the funds to stick it out although it almost broke them, kawasaki tucked their tail and ran. Yamaha laid low for a while, Suzuki kind of hid behind honda and let them take the limelight. I have an 88 kawasaki tecate4 with a 300 sprock racing engine, billet head, lectron carb, ILR powerpros pipe, lots of other engine goodies, The suspension is stock, It handles great, I love the way it feels like a dirt bike. Its great on an MX track, flat track, dunes, woods, drag strip, pretty much everywhere. I have yet to have a single problem with it. The biggest downfall is the clutch is way to stiff. it makes it hard to run more than a couple laps at a time on the MX tracks. I don't see how the tecate got such a bad rap when it really is a great quad. And its so much fun to make banshee riders cry.:devil:

zeppelin
08-13-2005, 04:43 PM
cna someone post pics of one, i never new alot about the tecate, did it have the kx250 motor:confused: or was it like the fourstroke klx

watts16
08-13-2005, 05:25 PM
it was 250 two stroke

here is a pic off ebay

diesel-mech
08-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Its not quite the same as a kx250 engine, its more like a kdx250 with balls. That pic isn't one of the nicer tecate's I've seen but not the worste one by far. They have about the same wheel base as a z400 just to give you an idea of their size.

DvxDirtSlinger
08-13-2005, 11:41 PM
id rather have a t-3

zeppelin
08-14-2005, 08:16 AM
you mean there was more than one tecate, why dont people ever talk about them they seem like a bad arse bike ive been around atvs and dbs for a long time now and thats the first tecate ive ever seen whats the differnce between the t-4 and t-3 was there a -2 or t-1 what about a t-5, man you got me all exited about this *****

yamadjs08
08-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by zeppelin
you mean there was more than one tecate, why dont people ever talk about them they seem like a bad arse bike ive been around atvs and dbs for a long time now and thats the first tecate ive ever seen whats the differnce between the t-4 and t-3 was there a -2 or t-1 what about a t-5, man you got me all exited about this *****
Pretty sure there is just a T-3 and T-4, the T-3 was Kawasakis 250 3 wheeler, the T-4 was Kawasakis 250 quad, T-3 was probably faster, only because of less weight and such. Both of them are cool, I almost picked up a mint T-4 locally, thing was super quick, deffinatly faster than the stock 250r Ive ridden.
They are pretty cool machines, Id kinda want one as a project, strip it down, powdercoat stuff and rebuild the motor, it would be fun.

diesel-mech
08-14-2005, 02:28 PM
smoked a ported and pipe banshee a few weeks back and killed a yzf450 on an MXtrack, If I wasn't so old I would try my hand at motocross on it, I love the thing, it runs on pump gas and feels (power wise) like I'm riding a tricked out 250 dirtbike on race gas.

MR.BIG
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
They run good mine friend still has his(white) 1988 tecate-4. It has a 310 klemm motor but it is pretty much retired now that he has a 265pv R, and the new 450r. They are good machines but they didn't handle as well as the 250r's but they have good lowend because they came from the factory with powervalves.