PDA

View Full Version : LT80 help

fasterz
01-23-2005, 02:49 PM
well i have an LT80 as just a lil mess around quad and for the pits at the races, any way i took it out in the snow and after a while it stopped moving, you rev it and it just revs and goes no where, any one know any thing about them, its liek the clutch is shot but its an automatic but i thihk it has a clutch, i duno, i thought maby the belt got water on it and its slipping, any one know any thing to help me out so i can fix the lil thing?

mikeman828
01-24-2005, 04:37 AM
Sounds like the same kinda thing that happened to my son's LT80 last fall. Here's a link to the post I made about it....

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=122607

Weird that there was nothing noticably wrong and no real fix....

I'm still puzzled by it.

Good Luck!

:cool:

400exdad
01-24-2005, 10:54 AM
There is actually a drain plug in the left side case to drain the water out. I went and read Mikes thread and its my experience with the 80 (and any motor) that if it will RPM, but won't pull, the jetting is good and its not clogged. If it bogs, then you have carb problems. Sounds like your 80's belt has gotten wet.

wilkin250r
01-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Pretty much any mini quad has the same basic drive system. It's called a Continuously Variable Transmission, or CVT for short.

It consists of two pulleys, a belt, some weighted rollers, and some springs. It's difficult to explain, but very simple in operation once you understand it. One problem COULD be a broken or slipping belt in the CVT.

Mini-quads DO indeed have a clutch, it's called a centrifugal clutch. They are not plates, like a normal clutch you are used to. Rather, it is in a drum shape, and the gripping clutch surfaces outwards, and they are attached to springs.

The centrifugal clutch will spin freely at low RPM (like idle speed) because the springs hold the clutch surfaces away from the inside of the drum. But as the clutch spins faster, the weight of the clutch surfaces cause them to overcome the springs, and push outwards (centrigal force, hence the name). As they push out, they contact the inside of the drum, and begin to grab. It's basically like an RPM-activated clutch.

You MAY have a bad clutch that won't engage when it's supposed to. Fortunately, centrifugal clutches are usually fairly cheap.

wilkin250r
01-24-2005, 02:06 PM
For more information on the LT80 drive system, and on CVT's in general, check out the link: http://www.off-road.com/atv/kidskorner/clutching1.html

The article is several pages long, with links at the bottom of each page to direct you to the next page.