View Full Version : Hard Start/ No Initial Spark Output

Kauai450
01-23-2005, 12:19 AM
Machine has no intial spark after sitting for a few days.Need to remove plug and kick over for a while then eventually you'll get spark . Reinstall plug and will start on first kick the rest of the day.
Then after sittng a few days or so I'll have to remove the plug and kick untill I see spark again.
Any ideas

JTRtrx250r
01-23-2005, 10:36 AM
Does it do this w/ a fresh plug? if so..start w/ making sure the ground wire is tight to the frame,or try unhooking the kill switch and try it again, might also be the CDI box

Kauai450
01-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Yes it does that w/ a new plug
I tried swapping the coil and cdi w/ another 250r I have and that machine starts fine w/ either components. Ground and connectiions are all dry and tight. Stator , flywheel , and pickup and 3 mo old (ricky stator) although flywheel and pickup air gap seem a little wide. I did try diconnecting the kill switch but no improvement. I haven't checked the resistence of the main harness yet , but what gets me is the fact that once it starts it'll be fine for a day or two

jgracing
01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
my r doesnt make a spark visible to the naked eye.. even when grounded to the engine...gap a new plug and throw it in...see what happens

papatrx
01-27-2005, 07:27 AM
My bike became very hard to start while kicking, but would pull start fine, even when hot. I checked ohm resistance on stator and it was ok. I talked to Ricky Stator and he said my situation and hard cold starting was typical of a stator going bad. I replaced and have not had a problem since. Check to see if it acts the same way after you have let it completely for several hours on the same day.

The beauty of having more than one of the same bike's available is you can swap parts until you find the problem without costing anything but time.