PDA

View Full Version : 660 Raptor Im New With This Bike Please Help

03-660
01-22-2005, 11:44 PM
hey guys i just bought a 2003 660 and the starter dosent work, well the starter turns over but it sounds like its not engaging to another gear or something i just dont know. is this a commom problem. its been like that sence i bought it. and one other question i have is that i heard these bikes were pretty bad *** so thats why i got it and i think that its an ok powerful bike. but what can i do to livin' it up some. without putting a big bore kit on or something to high dollar, b/c i dont know if im going to keep it or not. i had a full race 250 r which i loved and loved to do things to but sadly it got stolden. but i ran across this thing so i bought it. so im going to do something to this to see if im going to like it enough to keep it or i might just sell or trade it off for another R. what do you guys think i should do PLEASE HELP. thank you

nosliw
01-23-2005, 12:06 AM
take off the starter and rebuild it (easy as pie with a clymers manual, you'll probably want one on hand anyways just in case and maintenance)

you can add a high flow filter (k&n or uni) an exhaust and the right jets and it will make it feel a lot more powerful

03-660
01-23-2005, 12:14 AM
thanks for the feedback nosliw what exhaust do you think would be good for that bike thanks again

03-660
01-23-2005, 12:35 AM
i dont think the starter needs to be rebuilt just b\c i took off the starter cover and when i hit the starter button it will work and the starter gear and the gear that is connected to it (the bottom gear) will turn freely but i think that "bottom gear" should be turning something else, or is it a one way bearing that is broke maybe i dont know. but if someone else does please help. thank you guys

03dynasty
01-23-2005, 01:52 AM
my buddy has a raptor and the starter has been acting up. a temporary fix is kick it when you hit the start button, it should engage it.

bradley300
01-23-2005, 07:36 AM
raptors are famous for that one way starter bearing/clutch going out. once its fixxed, try to only start your quad in nuetral, it puts lets load on that bearing and it should last longer

devilwitoutacaz
01-23-2005, 09:30 AM
rebuild the starter....I had to do the same with mine....as for the pipe....throw a pro-circuit t-4 with header on.....I had one on mine and it made awesome power and made a killer bark.

03-660
01-23-2005, 10:04 AM
hey thank you guys for all the input. Ill try thoes things thanks again

papasmurf660
01-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Go to RAPTORTRANNY.COM and they have the step by step instructions on how to install a new starter one-way. If it is acting up then it will probably fail altogether like it did on me at PISMO. Fix it for good now and buy a one-way from L&A DESIGNS. All the info is one the website. THANX!!

Toadz400
01-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Put in a Stage II cam and an HMF full system, it absolutely ROCKS. I just rode a Raptor for the first time this weekend on the ice (had ice screws of course) and that thing had arm ripping power! Never ridden anything with that much torque, made me want to sell my Banshee and pick up one.

01-25-2005, 01:44 PM
hello i have a yamaha raptor 660 here are the upgrades
full yoshimura exhaust
k&n air filter
pro taper cr hi handle bars
IMS front bumper
motor cooler
dmp graphics kit
skat-trak edge paddle tires
+2 dura blue wheel spacers
hot cam stage 1
porting
and i can beat 250r left and right this qaud is fast but its not mad for the same stuff as the 250r 250r are made for mx and stuff like that raptor are made for like trail dunes i like the dunes but in a drag race the raptor get them on holeshot and just runs away with it but let me know how that big bore goes