PDA

View Full Version : Cdi

tdsongster
01-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Is an aftermarket CDI worth the expense? Most of them are around $400? Colby has recommended a magnum cdi. It will work better then a 6 deg key and actually changes the timing with the RPM. This is only $90 but wondering how it compares to the more expensive units?

Thanks

kegger56
01-23-2005, 01:03 AM
This is from Powroll's website "HOP UP TRICK!

Many aftermarket CDI boxes on the market today are actually stock Honda XR250R boxes! The unmodified XR250 box will give you about 800 more rpm on top and a faster ignition curve. You can purchase this directly from your local Honda dealer and save money.

Order: CDI for Honda XR 250 1992-2004

Part #30410-KCE-671 Want the best price? Order from Service Honda"
That's what I did this week for my 01' 400EX. Total was approx $86 shipped. We'll see how it works.

cals400ex
01-23-2005, 01:42 PM
those xr boxes will make the bike hard to start. i would stay away for sure. i hear the magnum and the big gun starts in cold weather. i have never tried them though. the gt thunder and the tc will start in cold weather. i wouldn't have a problem running any of these. i do have a gt thunder one. i have the aggressive curve one and the idle is a bit irratic and it is a little harder to start too but nothing like the xr boxes. if i had to do it again, i would probably get the gt box with a less aggressive curve.