PDA

View Full Version : 450 or 400ex?

Snatzerpazooka
01-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Hey guys,
I'm new here. Great site, very helpfull. I have a 300ex right now and I plan on selling it in the summer and getting something bigger. I have been riding for quite awhile, so I know what I am doing. The 300ex is getting to small for me and to slow. The question is do I get a 400ex or a 450? I don't know which 450 to get but I need to know if I should get a 400 or 450 before I start researching both 450's. I do mostly trail riding, but I would like to get into racing. Probably hair scrambles and then I would probably do MX just for fun, cause I love to jump!(sweetest thing in the world to be air born, I do about a 20 ft. long and 6 feet high jump now but with a bigger ATV I want to work up to big big, as in 60-70 ft.) So I figured I have two things I can do.

I can spend less money and get a 400ex and spend more money to to make it faster and better. (skids, nerfs, shocks, exhaust, engine work, ect...) And I would have a sweet ATV but not the fastest thing out there. I would still get totally blown away by a 450 and I would not be able to beat other 400's if they have the same mods as I do. (or will have, or, well whatever)

And then I could save a little bit longer and spend more money and get one of the 450's and already have better shocks, bigger engine, as in already "bored out", and have the fastest bike out there. :macho :devious: But, I need something reliable (as in, go for a long long long time without doing serious work on it) and still be good for trail riding. I heard somewhere that the 450r has thin rings, (I'm guessing piston rings) and the yfz450 has some cam shaft trouble, and I heard other people have had problems shifting. So is the 450 a racing engine were you have to do alot of work on it like a 2 stroke? I also heard the 450 was terible for climbing hills cause the first gear was really really tall. Like second gear on a 400ex.

So which one is right for me?

Thanks in advance!

joshm8979
01-22-2005, 08:48 PM
WOW! You leave 30 minutes away from me and have the same dilemma as me. Outgrown the 300EX! I'm going to Charlotte Honda next week. They advertised in the Cycle Trader 450R's for 5699 and 400EX's for 4299. I'm going to see what they tell me and then going to Rock Hill, SC to Hager Cycle and see if they'll be Charlotte's price. No taxes in SC! I'll see what deals I'm offered and then decide. I've ridden both bikes and they are great. The 450R is a whole different bike than the 400EX. But I don't want to race (except drag racing my friends in the field). I honestly think the 400EX will suit me better riding in WV this spring. The R has an awsome amount of power I don't think I'll ever need. We'll just see what happens next weekend. Good luck on your decision, whatever you get will be great as long as it's a Honda!

hondaracer305
01-22-2005, 08:57 PM
You guys should both grab a used 450r. a 400ex is really good, but a 450 will make you less fearless to hit bigger jumps cause the suspension is much better and the quad is lighter. You may be spending more money right away, but in the end, you will be spending more money in the EX to make it as good as the R, just a thought.

root
01-22-2005, 10:38 PM
I had a 400ex before my 450r. I too love jumping and at the time thought my 400ex was the best jumper out there. I WAS VERY WRONG. I have reached a new level with the 450r (more stable, more power = clear bigger jumps, lighter = easier to correct in air). I love this darn thing!

I've never riden any quad in a tree dense area; I'm not sure how the 450 performs in those conditions.

Snatzerpazooka
01-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys! Well I have decided that it would be better in the long shot to get the 450. but, I still need to know about the engine. I know for a fact that the 400ex will last a long long long time and it is a rock solid machine. But there are faster and better things out there. The 450r on the other hand, already has upgraded suspension, it is "bored out already", and other things too. But the engine is what I am concerned about. I will have enough money to get either one but I can't spend more money to keep fixing it. Is the 450r engine a racing engine were, like a 2-stroke, you have to always fix things?

Thanks guys!

Hey Joshm8979,
Were do you live? And how old are you? I am in pfafftown and I'm 16. I have a friend who lives about 400 yds. away from me and he has a 300ex also. BTW... you could call the places you are going to first and see what they will do. might save you a trip. And also were did you ride both fourwheelers? There is a place in greensboro that is a yamaha/honda place. And also a place on Stradford Rd. (stradford road place is expensive) Maybe we can ride together sometime.

Snatzerpazooka
01-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I have been reading on this site and some people say the 06 will have an elec. start and some other diff. stuff. Maybe if I do decide to get a 450r to wait until 06. Just a thought...

ridinredodb
01-24-2005, 03:52 PM
the 450R is reliable. but it requires a LOT more matinance. it holds less than a quart of oil in the motor so you have to change the oil and filter quite often, i change my oil about every 10 hours. the 400ex is a low matinance machine. 1st gear may seem tall at first but put a 13 tooth front sprocket on it. if you do a lot of hill climbing you'll have to learn how to feather the clutch really good, its not like the 400ex where you can just lug it up a hill. if you can ride the 450R you will beat the 400ex everywhere. I recommend getting the 13 tooth front sprocket and the HRC kit, the HRC is well worth the $300.

joshm8979
01-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Snatzerpazooka

I live in Thomasville and I'm 26. I'm going to buy something in Charlotte in the morning. Called around today and sounds like Charlotte and Gastonia have the best deals. I don't know if I'll come home with a 450R or a 400EX. Depends on the final deal. At least if I get a 400ex it'll be bulletproof (Reverse and Elec start are nice). Oh, for places I ride............my field/woods, a friends house, Uhwarrie sometimes, and when it get warmer, WV about every other weekend.

Snatzerpazooka
01-25-2005, 08:11 AM
I can change my own oil so that is not a problem. But is that the only thing that is "alot more matinance"?

joshm8979
01-25-2005, 12:03 PM
I went to buy mine today. Even the salesman said it was a lot of maintanence. He actually said that he thought a 400EX would be better for the places I ride and my style. So......I believe him. If I'm willing to buy the highest dollar sports quad Honda offers and the salesman tells me to go with something cheaper and more reliable......I'm gonna believe him. May be my mistake, but it's one I'll live with. Didn't buy anything, still looking around.

Snatzerpazooka
01-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Cool. Well I am starting to lean towards the 400ex a little bit now but I still want to talk to some other people. Becuase I know for a fact that the 400ex will last a long long long time.

BTW... If you don't mind driving, there is a place in Chattanooga TN that has then really cheap. It's a 6 hour drive from were I am, don't know about you but you might save yourself 500-800 bucks.

450r = $5,433
400ex = $4,283

http://www.southernhonda.com/

asdf450r
01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
a lot of maintenance? since when? ive had mine since early march of '04 and all ive had to do is change the oil and filter and clean the air filter as far as maintenance is concerned, which you should do regularly regardless of whether you have a 450r or a trx90. shrug

01-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by asdf450r
a lot of maintenance? since when? ive had mine since early march of '04 and all ive had to do is change the oil and filter and clean the air filter as far as maintenance is concerned, which you should do regularly regardless of whether you have a 450r or a trx90. shrug i agree....there isn't alot of maintenance to this machine...just frequent oil changes and thats it if you feel like it and are cautious...you don't even have to change your oil filter & oil that much

joshm8979
01-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Snatzerpazooka

The deal in Chattanooga is BS. Yea, they sell it to you for $5500 OTD. Then they turn around and mail your sales info to NC and you get a bill for the taxes!! Anyway, got an email from my best friend wanting to know if I wanted his 400ex! He's wanting to buy a house and needs down payment money. So, hopefully I'll get a good deal and a 400EX that has been taken very good care of. So maybe today wasnt that crappy since I came home with no atv.