PDA

View Full Version : Porting and Polishing

hondaguy2
01-22-2005, 05:19 PM
I just found out today that my 300ex intakes valves are shot and i have to have the surfaces for the ports in the head reground. I was wondering could anybody tell me what is porting and polishing? I did a search but didn't really find ne thing on it. Is it worth it or should i just have them reground and left the way it is? If i do how muych will porting and polishing cost?

bradley300
01-22-2005, 08:14 PM
porting is where an engine builder modifies the intake and exhaust ports. (where the carb and header bolt to the motor) for better flow which= horsepower. polishing is the process of removing any rough spots after the port job. def. woth the money on a 300ex, i recomend GThunder. dont know his number but its on his site. www.gthunder.com

hondaguy2
01-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Thanx for that , How much of a gain would i be looking at and I still dont know the cost he doesnt have it on his website.

bradley300
01-23-2005, 07:37 AM
i think a full race port is 250 or less from him. i dont know HP numbers, but you will feel a huge difference in the way the bike runs. i reccomend it !

John250X
01-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Yea I have a 250x and I got a 2nd motor for it. I know on the 2nd motor the jug has been bored and resleeved just don't know what to but I am going to find out(dont know the condition of the bottom end so I was just going to put it on my motor) I was also going to take the head and port it out I have experience port car heads so I dont think there would be much differance but I figures since I got the 2nd head it would be good practice.

hondaguy2
01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
yeah i dont think i am gonna get it ported or polished after finding out how much it cost. I'd love to but i am a little short on money and my main priority is to just get it running right now i havent rode it since october. It is killing me, so right now i only have enough to get it together. Thanx for helping figure out what porting and polishing is.