PDA

View Full Version : had a problem with the 400ex today

brian400ex
01-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Was out riding in the snow and it was running good. Shut it off and took a break and when i went back out to ride it wouldn't start. I figured my plug was fouled but i checked it and it was dry and looked good. Then i checked for spark and it had spark. I smelled gas so i was confused why it wouldn't run. I pushed it into the garage and was looking it over and noticed gas was pouring out of the over flow hose. Weird because it wasn't getting any gas to run. So i just tapped all around the carb for awhile and it stopped. Any ideas what was stuck and why gas wasn't getting to the cylinder?

Thanks
Brian

mojoe2878
01-22-2005, 04:14 PM
the float was stuck in the downward position, when you tapped on the carb it free'd it and the float moved upward like it is supposed to when the bowl is full of gas and shut off the gas supply coming into the float bowl.
as far as why gas wasnt getting to the cylinder, idk, just because the plug wasnt soaking wet doesnt mean it wasnt flooded enough to make it not start.

khen
01-22-2005, 04:15 PM
hmmmm.. fuel overflow problem sounds like the float was sticking. As far it not drawing fuel to the cylinder at the same time, I don't know. Maybe because the fuel bowl was completely full it could not draw in air to displace the drawn fuel creating a vacuum??

maskale
01-22-2005, 04:44 PM
The same thing with that carb happened to me when it got down into the 20 one night. I had been riding all day and then that night it got down in the 20's, the next morning I went out and under my quad was wet with gas. For some reason the the cold weather made the float stick and it drained all the gas out of the tank. I took the bowl off the carb and by then I guess it had freed itself and everything was fine.