PDA

View Full Version : How much is my rolling chassis worth,should I part it out?

Bender
01-22-2005, 07:06 AM
I have an 86 R probably 95% stock. The engine went last summer , the piston went and broke the case. I don't have the time or money to fix it anytime soon and was thinking of getting rid of her, to someone who could invest a little love. The only aftermarket parts are the rear tires, a K&N filter, and an FMF gold series pipe & silencer, oh an ceet cover. The frame has been gusseted. It's the white and red one. The swinger and arms are still gold painted with the "Pro-Link" stickers on them, headlight( with the pre mix stickeron top)too, just like she came in 86. The engine is sitting in a rubber maid bin in the barn.The plastic is all there with no cracks or breaks but showing it's age.
What should I ask for this R? Would it be worth it to dissassemble her and part her on ebay?
I'm looking to buy a 450R or maybe a Z400 soon and don't have the time. It's located in NH.

Pappy
01-22-2005, 07:44 AM
id geuss between $900 and $1500 but thats about it.

R stuff has climbed a bit in value but still in the dirt since last year, ebay might bring you the same amount if parted out but id hold out on selling the chassis as is.

beerock
01-22-2005, 08:46 AM
hold onto that bike bro, soon it will be worth more. IMHO id keep the R and use the money you were going to use to buy a new bike and put it in the R.

if you spend around 4-5000 the bike will be sick and will beat them 4 bangers

the main thing to have a good R is a new motor that you KNOW how many hours or rides are on it. alot of people buy R's and dont know how many hours are on it regardless if joe shmoe says it was just bored blah blah. you still never know

Bender
01-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Well I thought about having the engine rebuilt at first, so I took it to Robb's racing in merrimack NH to look at. He gave me a quote of $2,200 to rebuild it. Does this sound right? I just don't know if I want to sink that much money into it for a stock rebuild.

2k2-300exnj
01-22-2005, 09:19 AM
post some pictures of the damage thats seems a little high? is it just the top end thats screwed up? send it to esr and have them make it a 265 powervalve

beerock
01-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bender
Well I thought about having the engine rebuilt at first, so I took it to Robb's racing in merrimack NH to look at. He gave me a quote of $2,200 to rebuild it. Does this sound right? I just don't know if I want to sink that much money into it for a stock rebuild.

DAMN! thats high for a rebuild!!

the way i would do it (or you should) is buy 2 new cases around $450 with bearings, a 88 crank(best year crank) around $220. If all the gears and shift forks are in decent shape only other thing you could invest in is a hinson billit clutch basketaround $200. and perhaps OEM HONDA clutch and plates around $130. bore job and piston around $200

about 1200

JTRtrx250r
01-24-2005, 03:08 AM
dude..you could buy a used motor for between $450-1200+. just seen a few in the classifieds for $550-800, around here the average guys that drops off his motor and says "rebuild it"... ends up w/ a $600-1200 bill. I say just buy a used motor , run it for now, and rebuild it later, Im sure the smoked motor still has many donor parts that are still good, sell whats left and make some $$ back

luck to ya w/ whatever you decide

Bender
01-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of getting a used engine off of Ebay (I cant even find peolple around here to ride with, nevermind find a used R engine locally),but wary of getting another pos. By the way,when my piston went it took out both cases, the clutch&basket, the rod snapped. and the head is pretty f'd up too. The mechanic told me the crank and tranny could be salvaged, it was a mess. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.
Man was I having a blast on that thing too. I had always wanted a TRX250r. I had it just a week lol. I had an R in the 80's, it was an 84 250r 3 wheeler, it was set up to race on ice, had a factory HRC 300 cc kit with a basani pipe. It was retarded fast. I was like 15, I'm surprized I didn't get killed on it. I only paid $500 for it too. Sold it got into cars. Man and I wanted the TRX in 86 soo bad, I finally got one and now she's dead. I guess I'll look for a used engine and keep her. Man this forums great.

mxfoxracermx
01-24-2005, 08:33 AM
do you have pics of the frame because if you do and are going to part it out i am interested in the frame

wilkin250r
01-24-2005, 03:53 PM
As previously mentioned, I'd suggest buying a used motor.

However, if you ARE going to sell it, I would be interested in buying it.

McKinney
02-14-2006, 09:55 AM
hey i would give u $100 maybe more for roling chassis email me back and tell me what u think
Nick_McKinney@hotmail.com

racerx573
02-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Get a used one and then rebuild it to your own specs.. have it all freshened up, etc..

2k2-300exnj
02-14-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by McKinney
hey i would give u $100 maybe more for roling chassis email me back and tell me what u think
Nick_McKinney@hotmail.com
lol