PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect from aftermarket shocks???

dlockett99
01-21-2005, 06:55 PM
I just bought some elkas (recreational series) 3 weeks ago and I am so disappointed with them, that I want to put my stock shocks back on. They are beating the hell out of me. first they were bottoming out on every little bump and jump so I called elka and they basically just told me I had them set up wrong. After dicking with them about a week I called them back and they sent me out stiffer springs still bottom out and I feel every bump.. They are stiffer than my stock shocks but they bottom out???????? This makes absolutely no sense.. I thought aftermarket shocks would let me ride lower and be softer landings??????? Help Please!!!!!!!!:confused:

sheaff400ex
01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
I have elka recreational shocks on my 400ex. I had to adjust the preload a little bit. I had Kevin at Lost Creek Cycles put the elka rear conversion kit on my stock rear. After the set up they work great for me. They my be a little stiffer at slows speeds, but when your flying through the woods the shocks work so much better than the stock set-up. My guess would also be setup. Back the preload off a little bit and get your ride set to where you want it. Hopefully that will make a difference. _On another note when you ordered the shocks did you tell them your weight with riding gear on and also your riding style i.e. cross country / motocross.

Hope that helps.

Ryan

bradley300
01-21-2005, 09:48 PM
he's right, they work much better at high speeds! the harder you push them seems the better they will work. make sure the ride hight is correct. if your still not happy, send them back, they could have been valve for mx instead of xc on accident or something. you can also call and ask wich direction the crossover rings should be for yur set up. if they were not installed the right way, that could be the problem.

markk
01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Bradley is right. I bought my elkas from a buddie and they are set up for a rider about 35lbs lighter than myself, But after MONTHS of riding I just started to get them tuned in. If your going slow any 4-wheeler will beat u 2-death. But the harder i push my shocks the better they work for me. Seriously spend hours on them and keep a book of how u have them adjusted and keep on playing. Make sure your ride height is also adjusted correct!

Thats about all i know to help u out! I just lucked into my setup!

muddy400EX
01-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by dlockett99
I just bought some elkas (recreational series) 3 weeks ago and I am so disappointed with them, that I want to put my stock shocks back on. They are beating the hell out of me. first they were bottoming out on every little bump and jump so I called elka and they basically just told me I had them set up wrong. After dicking with them about a week I called them back and they sent me out stiffer springs still bottom out and I feel every bump.. They are stiffer than my stock shocks but they bottom out???????? This makes absolutely no sense.. I thought aftermarket shocks would let me ride lower and be softer landings??????? Help Please!!!!!!!!:confused:

ride faster

cady#1
01-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Did you try adjusting the ride height up? I had Tcs set up for CC but had the ride height to low. Sounds like your having the same problems i had before setting them up right.