PDA

View Full Version : trx90 rear brake drum help

bayou boy
01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I am changing the brakes on the rear of my daughter trx90 everything was going good till i got to removing the drum assembly..i have the nuts off the drum..I even removed the axle hoping it would come off. it spins but the drum wont separate from the carrier assembly. I dont have a manual for the 90 so is there a trick i overlooked or is it just stuck?

hr15
01-21-2005, 09:36 PM
If you pulled the axle out of the carrier and it is still stuck is it possible the drum is grooved and the brakes need to be backed off to allow it to clear?
According to the book...once you remove the 2 nuts that are on the axle next to the dust cover and drum it should be able to come off,maybe it is just stuck.Good luck!

bayou boy
01-22-2005, 07:46 AM
maybe the drum is grooved..i can move the drum only about 1/4" but when it moves i notice the spline on the other side that the lever the cables attach too moves with it. I am going to give it another shot in a lil while...any other suggestions?

01-28-2005, 10:07 PM
its like a drum brake on a car (if u ever did 1) i had to gently pry it off w/ a screw driver going from side to side . i dont know if you can actually (back off) on the brakes to get clearence.

bayou boy
01-29-2005, 06:09 PM
got it off today...i noticed that the brake shoes were wanting to pop off with the hub. I ended up having to take a cutoff wheel and cut the rivets for the bracket that hold the shoes inside the housing. once I cut them it slid off ez the brake liners had separated from the shoes on both of them and had it stuck in there. once i got it out I put the bracket back and just brazed the bracket back to the housing. looks like water had gotten in there and probably helped the liners separate. thanks for everyones input

hr15
01-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Been wondering if you had been able to get it fixed,seems nothing is ever as simple as it would seem.

02-04-2005, 09:57 PM
murphys law:grr: