PDA

View Full Version : Frame gusseting(03' predator)

Flynbryan19
01-21-2005, 05:48 AM
Harlen wanted us to put up some tech info of what we've found out while riding our preds, so heres my .2 cents and what I've found so far.....

As most of us Predator owners now..... The 03' Predators came with somewhat weak frames. Many replacements were covered under warranty, but for those of us who's warrantys have expired once the frame cracks we only have two options.

1)replace the frame with an 04-05' ($400+ ouch!)

or if its not completely broken

2)Buy/make a gusset kit and weld up the problem areas.

Here is the biggest place that the 03's are known to crack.(not my pred, just for reference. ;) )

http://www.predatorowners.com/memberphotos/predator/2033/Predator%20Frame%20Damage%20002-3.jpg

It is just behind the tank, infront of the bracket for the main head stay.

Flynbryan19
01-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Rath Racing sells a VERY well thought out and and clean gusset kit that addresses this area as well as others that they found to be issues. They are available for all model years.

Since I'm not sure whats considered "illegal advertising" and just helpful info, I'll just tell ya'll to go to Rath racings website to check they're kit out. ;)

Anyway, since I'm a tight wad and I noticed my crack on a Saturday and (of course) I had a ride on Sunday my father-inlaw went to work on creating our own gusset.

First, we found a steel pipe that was roughly the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the frame rail. Next we measured out a section of the pipe approximately 3". Then cut it long ways in half. Next we put the pipe half in a press and spread it out slightly to match the diameter of the pipe. Make sure you notch out the pipe section to wrap around the mount point for the head stay.

For installation we first welded the hairline crack that had developed. Then finally we placed the gusset on the frame and welded it to the problem area.

Its not overly proffesional looking, but here is the finished product. ;)(this one is mine)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid155/p2cd2d4cde5142439180aa978e8375a0b/f56447f0.jpg

Flynbryan19
01-21-2005, 06:06 AM
As always, you take responsibility for your own actions and if you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself you should take it to a proffesional to have it welded for you. If you supply the gusset kit and the frame to them, it should be very simple for them to weld the pieces for you. I believe Rath's kit comes with directions and placements.

Flynbryan19
01-21-2005, 06:09 AM
The biggest thing I wanted this to be useful for was to let everyone to know where the weak spots are on the 03' frames and to make sure everyone checks these areas periodically for cracks.

Since I check over my quad very often I was able to notice this crack before it cracked the whole way around and could make repairs with out drama.

I know there are a couple of other spots that some members have developed cracks, so I'll ask other members to reply with the areas they've found need to be addressed as well.

Hope this proves helpful for some one. ;)

Fred55
01-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Ungusseted 04 frames CAN crack as well!!!

godshand83
03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
So did this crack from leisurely riding or jumping and how high were the jump to make it do so