PDA

View Full Version : 2wd or 4 wd need help fast

mikes450r
01-20-2005, 11:56 PM
alright heres my problem...I will be getting a 26-28 foot trailor later on in the year..But first im going to buy a new truck..i went to my local gmc dealer and this is what they had to offer me...2004 gmc 2500 6.0L crew cab fully loaded but 2wd...It also came with a 10,000 dollar rebate..the truck comes with a eaton rear differantial(sp) locker in the rear...
they had 3 trucks like this left....

or they had 2005 gmc 2500 6.0l crew cab 4x4 fully loaded also..but this one only came with a 3500 dollar rebate..

so my question is can i get away with taking my truck and trailer to the dunes in the 2wd...I have yet been to the dunes so i dont know if a 2wd can make it or not...

anything will help cause i will be buying one or the other tomarrow...im really hoping i can get the 2wd cause i could really use the rebate...but if i cant use it out in the dunes i will have to get the 4wd....

let me know what you all think...thanks for the help..mike

kssandduner
01-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I'd go with the 4wd just to be on the safe side. At the dunes in Oklahoma it seems you can't get out of half the camping spots if you don't have 4wd. Besides, putting a lift kit and bigger tires is pointless on a 2wd! :D

Joe

02 Red Rider
01-21-2005, 01:22 AM
I think you may just end up regretting not going 4wd. The first time you get stuck in the 2wd with that trailer and you will be kicking the crap outta youself.

It doesn't seem that the money is a real issue for you so I would go with the 05.

dawzie
01-21-2005, 02:22 AM
that is a "big" trailer, first time you drive in soft, sand or snow you will "need" 4wd. And the low range is great for when you get stuck, you won't burn out the tranny.

mikes450r
01-21-2005, 11:07 AM
alright i going to get the 4wd...thanks for all the help...

SHOCKER
01-21-2005, 09:57 PM
what dunes you going to? I noticed you are in socal pretty much, and glamis, buttercup, and gordons well you dont need a 4wd truck,

the camp areas dont get too soft unless you go to far towards the dunes and actually start getting into the sand, but if you really want it and if you are going to be hitting up those dunes if you really want to 2wd go for it, but if you can afford the 4wd and rather be on the safe side go for it

Cool Honda Man
01-22-2005, 09:37 AM
Keep in mind that a lot of the weight of a pickup is at the front of the vehicle. The first time you pull off the main road into sand your back end isnt going to have enough traction to keep the truck moving...i know from experince. The 4 wheel drive makes the world of a difference. Go with the 4x4

TheFontMaster
01-22-2005, 09:47 AM
4X4 all the way. If you have never driven a 4 wheel drive tuck off road there is an increadidle (sp) difference. And you can have more fun in a 4X4 because of obvious reosons.

Chef
01-22-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Cool Honda Man
Keep in mind that a lot of the weight of a pickup is at the front of the vehicle. The first time you pull off the main road into sand your back end isnt going to have enough traction to keep the truck moving...i know from experince. The 4 wheel drive makes the world of a difference. Go with the 4x4

Except for that big trailer hangin off the back of it..:ermm: :blah:

Cool Honda Man
01-22-2005, 10:11 AM
well even with the weight of the trailer on the back of it there still is more weight on the front of the truck. you have the weight of a trailer tongue that weighs 200-400 lbs and you have an engine that weighs 2-3 times that

mattonln
01-22-2005, 11:48 PM
um, no.... a 28' race trailer full of quads will give you around 1500 lbs of tongue weight.. trust me, I know... my friend has a 27' snowmobile trailer and he was cruising up the siskiou pass and blew out his tranny and his GVW was over the limit and he voided his warranty! anyways, with the added weight on the rear axle, your rear tires will dig and you will set your trailer on the sand! that REALLY sucks! anyways, go with 4WD, its DEFINETELY worth it...

Cool Honda Man
01-22-2005, 11:52 PM
i'm sorry i didnt mean to dig myself into a hole, when i was writing my post i was thinking of the powerstroke that we take to the dunes and the small 2 spot atv trailer. I didnt take into effect the size of the trailer you are pulling, still go with the 4x4

hardkoratvmxr
01-23-2005, 07:34 AM
4x4 you wont regret it yea they are a lot of money but the first time you go to the dunes and sink them rear tires in the sand with that big ***** trailer your gonna be sayin every cuss woprd in the books and it will take forever more than likely to get it unstuck