PDA

View Full Version : adding links to a chain??

wvspeedfreak
01-20-2005, 08:24 PM
I installed an extended swingarm on my quad and I need a longer chain.Is it a bad idea to add on to a chain by using the extra links you need and the use 2 master links?The only reason I am considering this is because my chain is practically new (just too short) and I hate to have to ditch it if I don't have to.

R3Concepts
01-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Run smaller sprockets if your application will allow it, but its not a great idea to run 2 master links, it puts that much more stress on the chain.

Pappy
01-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by R3Concepts426ex
Run smaller sprockets if your application will allow it, but its not a great idea to run 2 master links, it puts that much more stress on the chain.

i agree, it will work in a pinch, but snapping a chain and busting a case just isnt worth the risk. (i have seen it happen ...chain breaking with 2 or more links added)

if you have an aftermarket chain now (i assume you do) offer it up for sale. everyone is looking for a decent deal and it could help offset the cost of a new chain.

when we going riding :macho

wvspeedfreak
01-21-2005, 05:16 AM
I figured that was the answer but I just had to ask:D

Pappy let me know the next time you are riding somewhere.Me and my little buddy are planning on roosting some snow this weekend hopefully.:macho

250rAL
01-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Honest question... why would two master links make the chain weaker? The master links are just as strong as the rest of the links.

Pappy
01-21-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by 250rAL
Honest question... why would two master links make the chain weaker? The master links are just as strong as the rest of the links.

in reality it shouldnt, except that its one more part that has the ability to break. ive seen chains snap ofcourse, but ive seen more when using multiple masterlinks.

wvspeedfreak

mucho snow is coming:eek2: :scary: