PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile people I need your help! (Or anyone good with motors)

Honda4trax250x
01-20-2005, 07:16 PM
My dad bought a used zr600 (fuel injected) last year. Never test rode it because there was no snow at the time. Now that there is snow, my dad took it for a ride and the thing would start up fine, start to move but then all of a sudden just bog down and die, then be able to fire right up again no problem but only mmove 3 feet again. He was told it was the clutch spring, he replaced that, and it is still doing the same thing.

We are really getting frustrated now and really want to know what this is......Anyone ever have a similar problem?

Honda4trax250x
01-20-2005, 08:11 PM
BUMP

initall
01-20-2005, 08:12 PM
i would start with the basic things. try cleaning the carbs

efilnicafesin
01-20-2005, 08:26 PM
Definately Carbs...

I'm possibly getting one that has been for a long time - 3-4 years... A friend of mine sent me this...

Get your Sled ready for winter fun

Remember last spring when you parked your snowmobile after that last memorable ride? You promised yourself that you would get back to it soon and prepare it for summer storage. Remember? Well, if you did as many people do and just let it sit, now is the time to get serious. Much damage could have been happening over the summer. It is time to stop the sled gremlins that are probably at work. You need to get your hands dirty now!

The greatest problem is inside the carburetors. Gasoline sitting in the float bowls all summer has by now turned into Green Goo or worse. It is imperative that you take them completely apart and clean them with carburetor cleaning solvent. Gasoline will NOT dissolve the mess. Sometimes thing are so bad that it is better to replace all the jets and inlet valves. If you do manage to get your sled running with dirty carbs and "Take er out on the lake to clean er out", you will in reality, probably be cleaning out your Pistons and Cylinders. Ye ouch - Expensive - you bet.

Theres only one good way to clean carbs. Take them apart and clean the main jet ,idle jet, needle and seat. You can use carb cleaner and a old toothbrush works great. Just remember how they go back together. Dry off each part an air compressor before re-installing. Write down the idle screw setting and air mixture screw on a piece of paper before you start. It takes about 45 minutes a carb on and off. But this is the only proper way to do it. It can look clean but how do you know what the main jet has sucked up in its tiny holes? Also a dirty needle seat can cause flooding or on the other hand lack of fuel. Gas goes bad in 60 days and faster with oil in it. If you dont store your sleds with some kind of gas stabilizer in the off season, then get use to doing carb cleanings. Even with the stabilizer you may have to do it now and then.

derekhonda
01-20-2005, 08:35 PM
yeah, get the carbs cleaned out on that fuel injection :rolleyes:

maybe try the injectors, they might be clogged but i would bet a nickle it isnt the carbs.

Quad18star
01-20-2005, 08:43 PM
It could be the injectors like the others have said . Clean them up and see if it still does it . Also open up the cab ... have someone keep an eye on the clutches while you try and go ahead . See if they notice anything unusual . I could very well be the primary spring also . If it is old and weak , it would cause the sled to engage at a low RPM , resulting in too much of a load for the motor to push . Disassemble your Primary and check the spring . They will only cost you maybe $15 at a local dealer for a new one (which wouldn't hurt to replace anyways) . Other than this , I don't know what the problem is .

I'll try and talk to a few people that are a bit more knowledgable than I am .

hoser 400ex
01-20-2005, 09:22 PM
i work at an arctic cat dealership. and was talkin to a coworker about this. he said to check the stator or have it checked out at a shop... we replaced a bunch of them in the 97,98,99, zr 500's 580's and 600 efi's. also check ur airbox to make sure no little 4 legged critters called it home. ive seen it lots of times... hope this helps.

BSTURDIVANT
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Most likely fuel filter/ pump area from old fuel-clean everything! Filter is probably gummed up and wont supply fuel on high demand.

Honda4trax250x
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by hoser 400ex
i work at an arctic cat dealership. and was talkin to a coworker about this. he said to check the stator or have it checked out at a shop... .

ouch, big money right?

efilnicafesin
01-21-2005, 04:23 AM
oops.. I missed the FI part :o ... Sorry

http://seickel.com/ken/smilies/nutkick.gif

jb500ex
01-21-2005, 04:49 AM
also try disconnecting the shut off switch, they have an update kit that if it was not done the machine bogs and will die when riding. so if it's that, disconnect it and take it out and it will be fine

MY450R
01-21-2005, 07:09 AM
cracked sleeve
i had a sled do the same thing to me once and thats what it was
idk though i doubt thats your problem

initall
01-21-2005, 08:44 AM
derekhonda

thanks for being a smart ***** i missed the fuel injection part. I am glad you are perfect and have never made a mistake. Keep the smart ***** comments to yourself.......

:cool:

initall
01-21-2005, 11:40 AM
pretty tough comment especialy on the net