PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm lubing question

SUPERFLY 400
04-28-2002, 01:05 PM
How do you grease the swing arm bearings? I was lookin in the manual which stated that the first step was to remove the rear axle....I think thats a lot of work to just grease the swing arm bearings. Is everybody just taking the piviot bolts out and greasing the bearings while leaving the rearend on? If so do i need to jack up the rear end or support it in any way? Could this be done with the wheels on the ground?

Any tips and advise would greatly be appreciated. Just finished lubing a-arms and front shock piviots. No problem there, just confused on the proceedure of lubing the bearings and pivots on the swing arm. Thanks again bro's!!!

SGA
04-28-2002, 09:11 PM
You cant get to the rear swing arm bearings just by removing the bolt. The bearings are sealed by the spacer tubes in the swingarm on each side. I set the quad on a stand, pulled the chain off the front sprocket, pulled rear brake caliper/hose clips and set off to the side. Disconnected rear shock linkage, pulled the swing arm bolt and rolled the entire swingarm out on the rear tires. Pulled the spacer tubes out of the swing arm, theres your bearings. Make sure you put plenty of grease in the center swing arm support on rear of engine. Also grease entire bolt before putting it back in. Also greased the rear shock linkage being every thing was out in the open. I suppose i could have just pulled the swingarm back far enough to get the spacer tubes out, but I race and wanted to give the whole swingarm a good lookover.

SUPERFLY 400
04-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Thanks bro, I'll give it a try this weekend. Is it going to be hard to align the swing arm (with rear axle and wheels still attached) up so I can slide the bolt through. Just looks like it will be awkward to handle with one hand trying to align the holes up and with the other hand pushing on the bolt.
Thanks again Bro!

SGA
04-29-2002, 09:36 PM
Pull the wheels off if you want, that might make it easier to handle. You might want to put a block under the rear of swingarm to help support it. Its not hard at all to line it up and put the bolt through.

oynot400
04-30-2002, 02:17 PM
It is kind of a 2 man job so buy a box of beer and con one of your buddies to come over to help. :devil
If the bolt comes out easy it is not that big of a job, just time consuming. It is a good rainy day job.

SUPERFLY 400
04-30-2002, 06:09 PM
Just finished tearing my swing arm apart and lubing the bearings. I also lubed shock linkage since I was there. I just rolled the swing arm with the tire out from under it. I anit-seized all the bolts. It was kind of a pain to align up by myself. The dam shock and chain kept getting in my way while trying to align the holes on the swing arm to the engine mount. Once I got the pivot bolt in, I realized that I put the pivot bolt in on the wrong side, DAMN. So I ended up fighting it twice. Oh well just more experienced now :D .

Leo
04-30-2002, 07:10 PM
at least you only had to take it apart once..

when re-assembling my quad after having the frame powdercoated I had _everything_ back together before realizing I didn't have the chain on... <yikes>

not having a master link at the house (and leaving to go riding early the next morning) I had no choice but to take the swingarm pivot back off to get the chain back on...

Leo