PDA

View Full Version : need help with 400 ex clutch lever

gtivdubdude
01-19-2005, 09:05 PM
I put a E brake block off plate on my 400ex and i got a new clutch lever, I was wondering if anyone on here would know what to do with the two wires that connect to the factory lever. Should I just solder them together and tape them up? What do they do? is it a safety switch? A little help would be very helpful.
Thanks

maskale
01-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Just cut the wires coming from the pertch and put them together. However I would recomend taking it a few steps further.

Cut the wires and see what color they are.

Then trace the wires all the way down to the frame under the front plastic, then get some pliers and carfully pull them out of the protective plastic tube that they are in, which runs up to the pertch.

Then cut off the excess, but not to short because you still have to splice them.

Get a splice connection and crimp the ends of the wires in the splice connection.

No you do not have to do it this way, but if you want to remove the stock pertch completley and replace with an aftermarket, and do not plan on useing the wires anymore then I would recomend this. Crimp connections are way better than twisting and taping, eventually the tape will come undone. By tracing the wires down under the plastic you will not have wires just hanging from your bars, and the splice connection will be better protected under the plastic.

It will not drain your battery.

The wires are a saftey switch so that your quad does not start in gear without the clutch lever pulled in. By crimping the wires together you are bypassing the switch, so you MUST remember to pull the clutch in if it is in gear and you are going to start it, if not it will take off on you.

gtivdubdude
01-20-2005, 07:21 AM
Perfect! Thanks a bunch.
Chris