PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Head gasket problem?

Woodsracer400ex
01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
I recently replaced my head gasket on my 2004 400EX because it started slowly leaking oil from the left side of the gasket. I replaced it a month ago, I noticed after riding today it's starting to slowly start leaking again, its not a constant pouring out of oil but slowly seeping. The motor is bone stock w/ HMF pipe and 158-160 main jet can't remember off the top of my head. Does any one might know whats going on? :huh

tryken
01-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Take it to your dealer, if you have a warranty. Don't bother telling them you replaced it once already unless you didn't use a stock gasket. It wouldn't hurt to go back to the stock exhaust and jetting either. Before going to the dealer that is.

Woodsracer400ex
01-19-2005, 07:18 PM
only has a 6 month warranty, so its all on me. I race GNCC and local hars scrambles here in Florida. I have never seen anything like this before I hope nothing is clogged causing pressure build up.

mojoe2878
01-19-2005, 07:26 PM
the head or jug mating surface may be slightly warped in that spot causing it to not seal off completly in that one spot. aluminum warps easily, especialy when it gets too hot.

parkers30
01-19-2005, 07:56 PM
also if the stock head studs were over torques from the factory the treads could be slightly stripped, just like the problems they have with 440's

02 Red Rider
01-19-2005, 07:59 PM
When you replace the gasket again make sure and replace all the head bolts as well.

Dalex
01-20-2005, 07:01 PM
I agree with mojoe, but if it is not that bad you may to want spray the next head gasket with "Copper Coating" it comes in a can like spray paint and you can get it at just about any auto parts store and it's cheap about $6.00 a can. I have seen it fix similar problems with head gaskets like that.

MIKE400EX
01-21-2005, 05:54 AM
There's no oil galleys or passageways on the left hand side of the head gasket - sure you don't mean the head cover gasket?

UglyMotha™
01-21-2005, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by MIKE400EX
There's no oil galleys or passageways on the left hand side of the head gasket - sure you don't mean the head cover gasket?

i was wondering if anybody was goin to catch that as i was reading down this thread, if she's squirting oil out the left hand side of the head gasket i think you my have some issues :huh unless were talking bout the valve cover gasket then it is very possible and the only cause i could see for that is your not getting the two mating surfaces very clean your you gouged oune of the surfaces during your prior cleaning if you used a scotch brite grinder pad or a scraper its not very hard to do

Woodsracer400ex
01-21-2005, 08:10 AM
It's the head gasket alright! I had it replaced once before. I called my mechanic at the Honda shop and he said either the head is warped or the cylinder is. It's not pouring out oil just slowly seeping, also it runs fine and its loosing any compression. I have a race this weekend and I'm just going to run it the way it is then break in down later. My mechanic said he will have to look at everything to see what it is exactly. I have never heard of any one warping a head? But if it could happen it would happen to me. It there better head gaskets out there other than stock? If so maybe I should invest in one.