PDA

View Full Version : 250ex rear shock vs. Banshee F S

RideRed250ex
01-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Alright, I know that a Banshee front shock will fit on the rear of the 250ex... But my question is, how much better is it? People who have done it, is it any better? does it raise or lower the back end? Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

cdalejef
01-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Yes the Banshee front shock will bolt on but it will not work correctly. A swingarm takes much more of a pounding than an a-arm does. This is a very dangerous mod and I do not recommend it. Keep the stock shock on there or buy a Works shock for better performance!

RideRed250ex
01-20-2005, 02:00 PM
If you would give me the money i would be happy to buy the works shock, but otherwise i can't afford it... :p

cdalejef
01-20-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RideRed250ex
If you would give me the money i would be happy to buy the works shock, but otherwise i can't afford it... :p Like I said above, use your stock shock OR get a Works.

RideRed250ex
01-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Sorry I didnt mean to offend you, I was just sayin that i don't have the money for it!

quad2nv
01-21-2005, 07:32 AM
a 400ex front shock will also work. I put one on my wifes 250ex. She is not out riding Pro Production, so there is no problem. Plus she gained about 3 inches of travel. Don't know much about the Yamaha shock.

cdalejef
01-21-2005, 08:05 AM
I'll say this again WARNING, front shocks are not meant to be run on the rear of any quad. This goes for amatures to pros!!!

quad2nv
01-21-2005, 08:14 AM
a 400ex front shock is stronger and rated for more weight than a rear stock 250ex shock. It works fine for us. Jeff why does it "not work correctly"...?

cdalejef
01-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Because it was never designed to handle the loads that the swingarm puts on a shocks. Ever notice how much bigger the body is on the rear shock than the front?

quad2nv
01-21-2005, 08:59 AM
I've never held them side by side, but I am sure you are correct. But we are dealing with a 250ex that my wife barely gets into 5th gear. If something ever breaks, we can always put the stocker back in.

Believe me, I'll never be doing that to my yfz.

Allen
01-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Jeff knows his sh$$. I would not do any kind of a mod on a quad that could be dangerous. Especially for the wife...

EvilJester400EX
01-21-2005, 10:51 AM
I understand that he doesn't have the money for a rear shock.. but WTF are you thinking putting a front shock on a rear end?:huh

RideRed250ex
01-21-2005, 01:52 PM
First of all I dont go off and do huge doubles or tabletops or whatever. I have heard of this done before and wanted some opinions on it and see how many people have done it. My rear shock right now is perfectly fine and i really don't plan on getting rid of a perfectly good shock for one.... but if something were to happen to the stocker, I thought that i could get some more travel by a front one, for cheaper instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars on aftermarket. Even if there was a front shock on the rear and it blew some how wouldn't all it would do is just bottom out and stay bottomed out? Yes its a waste of shock but, I don't beleive it is goin to blow up and spring out and flip me into an indo or something........RIGHT? So i guess i'm just curious to why it is so dangerous?

sampleez
01-21-2005, 02:09 PM
u could probably find a used aftermarket shock for the 400ex or banshee with a 5/8 shaft, like the rear, and it might work okay. but works are pretty cheap, and work well, so that'd be your best bet imo

cdalejef
01-24-2005, 07:34 AM
I don't beleive it is goin to blow up and spring out and flip me into an indo or something........RIGHT? WRONG!!! It can very easily send someone over the bars. When a shock blows, it releases all the oil and gas leaving no dampning to slow the shock down. This will turn the shock into a spring board.
NEVER NEVER run a shock on a quad front or rear that was not designed for that model and location on that perticular quad!

Fast250EX
04-06-2005, 01:14 PM
Is there a good rear shock from another quad that will fit then? I am really wanting something different in the rear. My stock rear has no sag in it and is kind of harsh. I am looking for something.

cdalejef
04-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Nope, only aftermarket

Fast250EX
04-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Wow, being broke really blows...

cdalejef
04-06-2005, 01:29 PM
What would blow even more is ending up in the hospital by using the wrong shock. Keep it stock if you can't afford aftermarket!

nacs400ex
04-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Even if there was a front shock on the rear and it blew some how wouldn't all it would do is just bottom out and stay bottomed out? Yes its a waste of shock but, I don't beleive it is goin to blow up and spring out and flip me into an indo or something........RIGHT? So i guess i'm just curious to why it is so dangerous?

:o Stupid is as stupid does. Its not as easy as saying just saying that. Its not just that the shock may blow, ITS NOT DESIGNED FOR IT. Maybe the mount on the shock will blow off and the shock will shatter, and you'll go for a ride. Theres atleast double the stress on a rear shock then the front.

MXRACER86
04-06-2005, 02:09 PM
HEY EVERBODY!!! LISTEN TO JEFF!!! HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT!! IF HE SAYS DON"T DO IT! THAN DON"T!!