PDA

View Full Version : GT thunder link??

beak7707
01-19-2005, 12:53 PM
OK, I got my GT thunder revalve and link back and put it on my quad. I havent really had a chance to ride it since, rain and now freezing temps. But it feels great just sitting on it and pushing down on it. Heres the question do i need to raise my air box or not? A couple of my buddies and I looked at it and I dont see where it could possibly hit anything. I have the XC link and I thought that was the one that required the box to be raised. If it does need to be raised, what is the reason for raising it, or where does it hit?

ajr400ex
01-19-2005, 01:39 PM
The swingarm will hit the airbox when the shock is fully compressed depending on the setup. I believe Laz said to raise the airbox about 1/2" for the XC setup. Best bet is to ask Laz instead of destroying an air box.

Dave400ex
01-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I would just check with Laz to make sure. He usually answers his email pretty fast, or just call him.

WhiteZee
01-19-2005, 04:36 PM
you know where the shock linkage mounts on your swingarm right below your airbox, thats where it will hit. you need to raise it up .25 of an inch so you wont crack your airbox, its happened before.

jdwxv3
01-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Yea it needs raised. My air box hit my shock even before I put the ZPS Elka on the back. Busted my box.

adambomb
01-19-2005, 06:36 PM
I got my stock rear shock revalved through GT Thunder w/the MX link. Mine does not hit at any point through the travel. In fact I asked Laz himself on the phone when I paid for the work and he said that I did not need to raise it. You can call him yourself if you need reasurance.

lukester720
01-20-2005, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by adambomb
I got my stock rear shock revalved through GT Thunder w/the MX link. Mine does not hit at any point through the travel. In fact I asked Laz himself on the phone when I paid for the work and he said that I did not need to raise it. You can call him yourself if you need reasurance.

I think all these guys are talking about the xc link.

Shawn H
01-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I raised mine after busting the air box good thing the new air box is like 16bucks.

I raised mine 3/8"

beak7707
01-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Well then heres the next question. How did you raise your air box? I dont really want to spend 50+ buck for housers kit. Did you just drill holes and raise it that way?

jdwxv3
01-20-2005, 06:17 PM
I busted mine with all the stock components on it. Did not know ran through some water and vapor locked my motor. It is now raised with my zps elka on back not taking the chance agian. Just put washers under it or finagle something up that looks like it will work be creative.

rowlrag
01-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
Well then heres the next question. How did you raise your air box? I dont really want to spend 50+ buck for housers kit. Did you just drill holes and raise it that way?
I make my own kit, but it takes about an hour plus material cost. I recomend buying the Houser kit and save yerself a headache, if you raise it to high the seat won't go on.

beak7707
01-20-2005, 06:42 PM
This sucks really, I didnt know it was going to be this much of a problem. Oh well I guess I'm money ahead running GT's setup so I might have to break down and buy houser's raiser kit.

rowlrag
01-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Atleast you have learned from others experience/ mistakes:D

Shawn H
01-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I will be using large cable ties(zip ties) at each corner and letting the box float

Thats what Laz does!

swampfoxsc
01-20-2005, 08:46 PM
I have the complete front and rear stock shock rebuild and with that setup Laz said I didn't need to raise my airbox. I'm not sure which link I have. Just call him and ask, you may save yourself alot of trouble.

Martin Blair
01-20-2005, 09:49 PM
I think i am going to fab my own kit up, something to do at school

beak7707
01-21-2005, 11:17 AM
I called Laz today and he said I didnt need to raise it. He said it needed to be raised if his link was ran with an aftermarket shock. I am lost on his website it says the XC link will require the box to be raised 1/4 inch. Has anybody racked their airbox with the stock shock revalve??

WhiteZee
01-21-2005, 01:21 PM
does he know you have the XC link?

beak7707
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Yeah I told him I was running a stock revlave. He told me it didnt have enough travel to hit the air box.

wiesman
01-22-2005, 09:20 AM
how do you raise the airbox?

beak7707
01-23-2005, 08:41 AM
Has anybody out there actually busted the airbox with the stock shock that Laz worked over???

wiesman, you can raise the box buy buying a kit from Houser that raises it. You can fab up you own kit that does the same as theirs, or you can just wing it and get creative.

cliq20
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
did you ever get this taken care of? i had the GT thunder rebuild and never hit the airbox with his XC link. then when i went to the elka I destroyed my airbox. is houser the only way (or company that makse a part) to raise the airbox?

beak7707
03-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Laz told me with the stock shock revalved you dont have to raise it. But when you go with an aftermarket shock you will have to raise it. From what I have seen Houser is the only company making the kit to raise the airbox. From what I have heard you can raise it yourself, but I never messed with it since I have the stocker rear.

cliq20
03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
gonna have to get the Houser i believe.

RobRacing
03-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I put a hole in the bottom of my air box also. I have them mx link with an axis shock. guess theres no sense in raising it now:D

cletusEX
03-21-2005, 05:23 PM
I have the stock shock and GT Thunder linkage and have bottomed out as hard as you can and didn't have a problem. Seems like the only problems are with an aftermarket shock.

cliq20
03-21-2005, 06:43 PM
yeah i had the revalved GT thunder shock and link and bottomed out many times and never a problem. only when i switched to the elka.

joe1l
03-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by beak7707
OK, I got my GT thunder revalve and link back and put it on my quad. I havent really had a chance to ride it since, rain and now freezing temps. But it feels great just sitting on it and pushing down on it. Heres the question do i need to raise my air box or not? A couple of my buddies and I looked at it and I dont see where it could possibly hit anything. I have the XC link and I thought that was the one that required the box to be raised. If it does need to be raised, what is the reason for raising it, or where does it hit?

I have had the XC setup for about a year now and i have had no problems with it hitting the airbox! I think the problem is mostly with the MX setup. Enjoy you will love it!

RideRedEX
03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
For all you people who have a busted airbox they are only like 20 some bucks from honda. I had a race last sunday and have rode pretty hard and havent hit my box yet. So I would say it is just aftermarket shocks for sure.

cliq20
03-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by RideRedEX
For all you people who have a busted airbox they are only like 20 some bucks from honda. I had a race last sunday and have rode pretty hard and havent hit my box yet. So I would say it is just aftermarket shocks for sure.

it is, i had both on there, busted with Elka and not with stock.

replacing my airbox tonight.

they are only $20 bucks. got em from www.worldofpowersports.com

good stuff there, easy to find parts.