PDA

View Full Version : R motor headache

seth400
01-19-2005, 11:12 AM
ok i have run into a real problem here. i am building a spacerplate motor for my 86. then i realized i was gonna need longer studs so that my top end would bolt up. i ordered longer studs for the top end. then when i went to pull the studs out 3 came out easily, but i cannot get the last one out to save my life, i broke off part of the stud trying to get it out even. i have put heat on it, soaked it in wd overnight, and tried other things. is there anyway to get this stud out without having to drill it out? i would rather not do that if there is any other way seeing how the bottom end is completely together. can someone help me?

beak7707
01-19-2005, 12:04 PM
You might be able to weld a nut to the stud and back it out with a wrech.

JTRtrx250r
01-19-2005, 01:27 PM
yep, what beak said

I had the same prob , I had to heat the stud up till it was glowing before it finally came loose

good luck w/ it, they can be stubborn!

beerock
01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
trust me on this, heat it up good and get a GOOD (NEW) pair of vise grips on the stud and tighten it reallly good. IT WILL come out. the reason i said new vise grips is because the teeth are brand new and will dig right into the old stud. ive done this on R studs and I did it on a 3/8 hex head that was stripped that held the old log manifolds on my 351w boat motor. , man I swear by vise grips since i got out the hex head So i could install my new stainless race headers on my boat.

Rich250RRacer
01-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Buy yourself the proper tool for the job and this usually isn't a problem. A 10mm stud remover from SK Facom will run you about $55, but it's well worth it. They are also available in other sizes, such as 8mm to remove cylinder head studs. You still run into stubborn ones that do require heat, but the right tool eliminates alot of headaches.

JTRtrx250r
01-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Rich...most of us dont wanna spend $50+ on a tool thats gonna get used once(maybe twice) and sit in the tool box,...unless you work at a shop

seems to me , the majority that can afford those 1 times tools would most likely just pay a shop to do the work instead of asking questions about removing 1 stud..IMO haha

All he has to do is double-nut up the stud or visegrips like Bee' said, hit it w/ a torch and turn, I guess if he has more studs and some 8mms and our "throwback method" is too tedius, that tool might be worthy to him;) :D

I cant disagree w/ using the right tool for the right job tho, I do gotta say that!;)