PDA

View Full Version : chasis skid plates?

chris450R
01-18-2005, 09:07 PM
what all kind of chasis skid plates is everyone running? i am lookin into one and would like to know which ones are the best and what the best prices are and where i can get them? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, chris

chris450R
01-18-2005, 09:33 PM
what about the armadillo skid plates. they look pretty good with a very good price. does anyone have one of these skid plates? how have they held up?

bump

Punk'd
01-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I have a armadillo swing arm skid. I love it i got the .250 or w/e it is. PRM or Pro Armor is good but more $.

450rRIPPER
01-18-2005, 10:18 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118228&perpage=15&highlight=armadillo&pagenumber=3

Here is a pic of my armadillo, their frame skid is good but the swinger is another story. I sent mine back and got PRM.

04trx450R
01-19-2005, 10:42 AM
I have been running the prm a-arm and chassis skids scince last march, there the best investment I have made to my quad, save my bike many times, and compared to DG and some others the quality is ten times better

swampfoxsc
01-19-2005, 12:35 PM
My dealer sponsors me and got me an AC skidplate for my 450R real cheap. The quality is poor and the mounting system is crappy but overall it will serve it's purpose and for the price I can buy 2 for every one of the more expensive brands.

To elaborate, the skid looks like it was cut by hand with a side grinder. The sides aren't real smooth and just don't look finished. The holes for the mounting hardware are indented but then they give you regular bolts that hang down past the bottom of the skid! One bolt is bigger than the rest and the head is even bigger. They're gonna get smashed all up on rocks. At least give us some bolts with rounded heads.

The mounts that clamp over the frame are completely unfinished and look like they were taken off the machine and put in the bag. The edges are jagged and obviously were never smoothed over. You can cut your hand installing them if you're not careful. The front bolt fits flush but is an allen head and the metal is very soft. I used a quality allen head socket to install it and it still stripped.

If I had paid full price for this skid it would have gone back. However, it'll work just fine and was cheap so I can't complain. My dad has a welding shop so I can fix it myself if there are problems but for the average consumer there are much better options.

One of those options is Ricochet skidplates. I have one on my Rubicon and it is top notch. It's cut from a flat piece of aluminum and then the bends are welded on the side and front for strength. The mounting bolts are rounded allenhead bolts and resist damage much better than the crap onthe AC. I damaged my bolts and Ricochet sent me a new set for free. If I paid full price for a skid for my 450R it would be the Ricochet.

Punk'd
01-19-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by 450rRIPPER
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118228&perpage=15&highlight=armadillo&pagenumber=3

Here is a pic of my armadillo, their frame skid is good but the swinger is another story. I sent mine back and got PRM.

Thats weird I love mine

quadrcr161
01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
how are the AXE skids? seem to look like a good product and a good price.

btlblwnracer
01-19-2005, 02:53 PM
i got the dg "fat" skid plate/swingarm gaurd , have no complaints , fit well and serve ther purpose.

tido450
01-19-2005, 03:23 PM
i have pro armor on my Z they skid plates are really high quality and on certain parts of the frame they kick up to prevent rocks from hitting your motor...good stuff

copter
01-19-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
how are the AXE skids? seem to look like a good product and a good price.

I'm happy with mine so far.. I was told I have the 3rd skid ever made for the 4fiddy..

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/5106/skidplate8ta.jpg

Martin Blair
01-19-2005, 08:57 PM
I love my armadilo its .250 alum. And welds look good held up well so far. For chassis I got AC heav duty, I get good deals threw sposners on ac stuff and my friends bolted up well and is holding up well in racing, I like it because it helps pertect the front of the frame as well.

Punk'd
01-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by copter
I'm happy with mine so far.. I was told I have the 3rd skid ever made for the 4fiddy..

http://img96.exs.cx/img96/5106/skidplate8ta.jpg

Those are kool how you can get diff colors

Mike545
01-20-2005, 04:11 AM
I use pro armor on all, had on other atv, its the best, the frame plate is hardend aluimunm. fits good, you get what you pay for.;)

TWISTED
01-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I've bought a Quad Boss for my 450. Everything's fine except that you have to remove it in order to drop the oil in the trans. I'm gonna notch mine out for that. All the other brands might be like that too. Other than that I'd reccomend them. oh, and by the way I'm glad AC makes skids like they do their nerfs, not worth a S##T!!! At least they are consistent.

MNTNMAN
01-20-2005, 02:05 PM
PRM makes very good stuff.

300exHILLER
01-22-2005, 12:52 AM
PRM is best just ask us New Englanders who have more rocks than dirt.:ermm:

Dave400ex
01-22-2005, 09:15 AM
I agree, PRM all the way...

turboTony
01-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I agree, PRM all the way...

same here. I have a full set. .190 for a-arms and chassis and .250 for the swingarm.
They've saved me numerous times.
They also have great customer service.
I HIGHLY recommend them.

hondaryder42
01-22-2005, 11:13 AM
trail riding or xc

use plastic skids for the chassis. i cant believe people buy aluminum skids... all junk. for one when they become loose they rattle, two they do NOT absorb impact. they transfer impact from rocks directly to the frame. plastic is softer and absorbs the direct impact. Three they dent and stay dented plastic returns to its shape. Four they are twice the money. Five they dull and get ugly.

sorry for the strong opinoin but aluminum skids suck.

i made mine out of 3/8 puck board like they use in rinks. you can cut they shape out easy then use heat to bend it. A arm gaurds are wicked in this stuff because you can bend the leading edge totally around the lower arm. hose clamp them on and done. even use zip ties where you cant clamp them. also you can make these in red black white blue etc. they look great.

swing arms are the only place for aluminum skids and i would still like to see some one manufacture one out of poly like the prdtr

Meek
01-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Armor, end of story.

tido450
01-22-2005, 12:59 PM
swing arms are the only place for aluminum skids and i would still like to see some one manufacture one out of poly like the prdtr [/B][/QUOTE

if you swear buy it this might be your claim to fame. put a patent on that **** and you can reap the benifits

chris450R
01-23-2005, 03:58 PM
well guys thanks for all the reply's. seems like PRM is great stuff but i don't really ride trails much anymore. i have moved to mx and am pretty cought up in it. so i really just need one that will help protect when casing a jump. i figured i would go with an armadillo skid. it will be good enough to protect and cheap, so i will have enough money left over for another part. but thansk again for all the reply's.

chris

Meek
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Maier has plastic skids that hold up pretty well.

black450r
01-25-2005, 08:56 PM
dont get an armadilo. i had one and almost every weld broke on it. it was made like junk the welds had no penetration the were like tack welds. you should get like and ac or prm