PDA

View Full Version : TRX400EX vs Raptor 350?

d1c1ple
01-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Any comparisons? Is the cost of the 400EX worth is compared to this model? mostly trail riding for fun. Thanks for any feedback.:D

jmpulse
01-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by d1c1ple
Any comparisons?

NO!

Is the cost of the 400EX worth is compared to this model? mostly trail riding for fun. Thanks for any feedback.:D

Yes. The difference in motor power is worth is big, the 400 is a lot more sporty!

EPDP99
01-18-2005, 10:04 PM
even Yamawheels(dirtwheels) says the ex is in a whole class above the raptor350.

416exduner
01-18-2005, 10:19 PM
yea I read that Dirtwheels too, they compare the Raptor 350 to the 300ex and say the 400 is a class above both of those, plus with the 400ex you have endless options as far as aftermarket in the future, should you ever want to get into racing or something you can go all the way up to a 510 kit...but yea the 400 is a good bike.

Punk'd
01-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Im sick of dirtwheels and there favor over yamaha. Im switchin to Atv Sport.

01-19-2005, 06:31 AM
im subscribed to atv sport and i like it more

Rico
01-19-2005, 07:40 AM
There's no comparison between the 2.

The 400ex is far superior in all aspects..

It's like comparing a cavalier to a corvette..:scary:

400exdad
01-19-2005, 10:44 AM
I can't believe they even used the same motor. Yama was thinking that if they stuck the word "Raptor" on it, it would make it badazz :) just like they did the crumby Badger! :devil:

coryatver
01-19-2005, 01:37 PM
The 300ex even beats the raptor 350 in shootouts :o

d1c1ple
01-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the feedback.. very helpful!

397ccEX
01-19-2005, 04:27 PM
the raptor 350 is just a renamed warrior and the 400ex will tear it up on the trails

Cody_300ex
01-20-2005, 01:04 PM
The 400ex would waste it everywhere.

crazyatvn
01-20-2005, 09:30 PM
CRAPTOR 350 no way
400ex HELL YEAH!!!

dondiesel444
01-21-2005, 07:11 AM
I used to have a couple Warriors (Raptor 350's) and they are JUNK. well they are reliable and can be fun to ride, I beat the crap outta mine and never had any problems with it. but they aren't even in the class of a 400ex. I don't even know why they make them anymore, they are so outdated and antique.

PBlackmon
01-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
The 400ex would waste it everywhere.

OK.... I have a warrior and I call BULL SH$* on that. I know that the 400ex is a far more superior quad but I have kicked several 400s azzes in the woods. While they are repeatedly shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, I'm locked in 3rd or 4th gear (depending on the terrain), and running up a lead. Even though my Warrior is fun to drive, I am in the process of selling or trading mine for a bigger, more powerful quad.

throwinitup
01-21-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by PBlackmon
OK.... I have a warrior and I call BULL SH$* on that. I know that the 400ex is a far more superior quad but I have kicked several 400s azzes in the woods. While they are repeatedly shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, I'm locked in 3rd or 4th gear (depending on the terrain), and running up a lead. Even though my Warrior is fun to drive, I am in the process of selling or trading mine for a bigger, more powerful quad.

thats because you have one more gear.......(arent warriors 6 speed??) if not then its all in the gearing and sprocket sizes....... it doesnt matter what gear your in, with 20" tires and stock gearing i can rip along fine in 3rd with my EX

coryatver
01-21-2005, 02:21 PM
If it was equal rider skill the 400ex would blow it away

Cool Honda Man
01-22-2005, 09:10 AM
I went to the Little Sahara Sand Dunes in Utahon my Honda 250x and i was riding with a warrior...there is practically no diff between it and the raptor, and i could outclimb the warrior multiple times at sand mountain. Hands down the 400ex is better

ckasper18
01-22-2005, 09:17 AM
As i always say if you own it ride it.If i remember right the 300ex is even a better machine than the raptor.

Hon300ex
01-22-2005, 04:55 PM
A raptor 350 is just a Warrior with new platics. Its a little lighter and a few mph faster. The 350 is deffinatley a waste of money. My friend just got one and he's wanting more power already. A 300ex will beat a 350 in speed and power. You really have to rev the 350 to do a wheelie, unlike the 300.

crazyatvn
01-22-2005, 05:26 PM
I read in the paper the other day they got 400ex's on sale till Jan 31 for like 4300 or something like that I don't have the paper anymore here is there website call them not sure what year they showed a 05 in the picture.

http://www.holzhauerspromotorsports.com/

BigAl'sZ400
01-22-2005, 09:18 PM
im subsribed to dirtwheels and atvaction they are both good mags but i like dirtwheels a little bit better and dirthwheels always has a lot more articles in it, the letters section is cool two

crazyelece
01-23-2005, 08:47 AM
First off I have owned both and still ride both. A raptor 350 is a warrior wih new plastics this is true. The warrior/raptor is not a piece of ****. It is a great starting quad for begginers. I don't know why every snot nozed punk 13 year old thinks they need to jump right into a 400 or 450 quad right out of the gate. I can understand the kids who have been riding for years and are already confident qualified riders. That's not who I'm talking about. You will learn more about yourself and the skills you possess with a quad that is smaller. The 250ex, 300ex, and 350 warrior/raptor are the best things out there for people who have never riden before. Will you outgrow it? probabbly but is that a bad thing - NO! I am 6'4" and weight 270lbs and my warrior hauled my fat *** everywhere I asked it too. Did I outgrow it - yes that's why I now have a 400ex and my little brother has the warrior. Where the atv can go is up to the rider, that is all rider skill level. With a smaller quad you will better learn how to avoid getting stuck, how to come into and land jumps, and how to come into and climb hills better than the bigger ones because the quad can not make up for rider ineptitude. With a 400ex if you come into a hill climb and don't have nough speed it can usually dig in and get it before its too late. With the warrior you better learn how to do it or you will be rolling. Its my opinion that no one should start out with a quad above 350cc no matter how old they are. And for all those who can still remember the suzuki king quad (one of the largest bored machines) used to be lower than 300cc (I think it was a 250). And it was considered one of the most powerful quads ever to be built in its time.

PBlackmon
01-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
If it was equal rider skill the 400ex would blow it away

One of my friends that I have raced has a 400ex. We have both been riding together for 12 years and every time one of us goes riding the other one is right there beside him. Basically we both have the same skill.

397ccEX
01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Pblackmon a 400 is guarenteed to tear up a warrior anywear i made the mistake earlier of just sayin trails cuz a 400ex will tear it up everywhere else to
The bikes are in two different classes such as a recon 250 and a 250r:D

6arett
01-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Off topic in this forum but.

My 400EX (w/ pipe & jet + 3 holes in airbox) wasted a stock banshee and a banshee w/ pipes jet's a airfilter kit i dont know but i lubed it ;)

Chef
01-24-2005, 08:09 PM
6arret, I HIGHLY doubt that. Either the Banshee was running on one cylinder, or you are full of $hit. Its as simple as that.

lol
01-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by 6arett

My 400EX (w/ pipe & jet + 3 holes in airbox) wasted a stock banshee and a banshee w/ pipes jet's a airfilter kit i dont know but i lubed it ;)

I dont believe it either

maybe u were in a tight technical trail:confused:

dondiesel444
01-25-2005, 02:21 PM
that Banshee had a weak engine or a poor rider, my ds650 with a pipe and K&N could beat piped banshees and BLOW AWAY 400ex's.

Warrior's did have an advantage over 400ex's b/c the have reverse, but that doesn't matter anymore with the 400ex now having reverse.

wcr400ex
01-25-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by crazyelece
First off I have owned both and still ride both. A raptor 350 is a warrior wih new plastics this is true. The warrior/raptor is not a piece of ****. It is a great starting quad for begginers. I don't know why every snot nozed punk 13 year old thinks they need to jump right into a 400 or 450 quad right out of the gate. I can understand the kids who have been riding for years and are already confident qualified riders. That's not who I'm talking about. You will learn more about yourself and the skills you possess with a quad that is smaller. The 250ex, 300ex, and 350 warrior/raptor are the best things out there for people who have never riden before. Will you outgrow it? probabbly but is that a bad thing - NO! I am 6'4" and weight 270lbs and my warrior hauled my fat *** everywhere I asked it too. Did I outgrow it - yes that's why I now have a 400ex and my little brother has the warrior. Where the atv can go is up to the rider, that is all rider skill level. With a smaller quad you will better learn how to avoid getting stuck, how to come into and land jumps, and how to come into and climb hills better than the bigger ones because the quad can not make up for rider ineptitude. With a 400ex if you come into a hill climb and don't have nough speed it can usually dig in and get it before its too late. With the warrior you better learn how to do it or you will be rolling. Its my opinion that no one should start out with a quad above 350cc no matter how old they are. And for all those who can still remember the suzuki king quad (one of the largest bored machines) used to be lower than 300cc (I think it was a 250). And it was considered one of the most powerful quads ever to be built in its time.

I disagree. A stock 400ex has some power but not enough to not be able to control. My first quad was a 400 and i had no trouble, My friend got a warrior and was bored in a week.... Plus even now the 400ex is kinda outdated compared to the 450s so the warrior shouldnt even be made.... If i was buying a quad for my girlfriend i would probably get her a 400ex or a z400 over a 300ex or a warrior... Just my opinion....

BrandonBlackmon
01-25-2005, 03:28 PM

One second.........

HA,HA,HA,HA,HA.................................... .................................................. .................................................. ..HA!!!!

Only in your dreams, there is no way possible that a 400ex would outrun a banshee.:rolleyes:

ZQ8Dude
01-25-2005, 03:59 PM

i disagree, the rider's attitude is what makes the difference. my 400ex is my 1st quad that ive owned. before that the fastest thing i had ridden was suzuki king quad 4x4 300ccs

a friend of mine started with a honda XR75 and bought a z400. had that attitude of 400+ or nothing. and i bought mine to keep up

now here's where the riders attitude makes the big difference. his first time out he thinks he is suddenly hot ***** because of the new bike and rides it as if he were racing it. rolls it on a hill because he thought he could do everything.

me on the other hand? i took it relatively slow the 1st 4 hours i was riding, not caring what others thought and got progressively faster, by the end of the day i was chasing my friends predator pegged out in 4th.

crazyelece
01-25-2005, 08:38 PM
My point was you have ridden a quad before. I had also I only bought the warrior because it was what I could afford. My point was that the warior is not an outdated piece of crap. I do think yamaha needs to step it up a bit but if it wasn't there what would you get between a blaster and a raptor. Skill level wise I put the yamaha list in this order - blaster, warrior, raptor, yfz & banshee. Anyway my point was the warrior is there for a starter quad in 4-stroke class. It is a good VERY reliable quad with a ton of aftermarket part availability. No it is not equal to the 400ex but that doesn't make it a bad quad.

6arett
01-25-2005, 09:55 PM
lol u guys didnt have to flame up :ermm: but w/e i guess he was a crappy ridder

shamisc
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by EPDP99
even Yamawheels(dirtwheels) says the ex is in a whole class above the raptor350.

AHH, so you also think that DirtWheels is owned by Yahiha!!:devil: Those *******s knock every honda out there!!

ZQ8Dude
01-26-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
AHH, so you also think that DirtWheels is owned by Yahiha!!:devil: Those *******s knock every honda out there!!

what do you expect, they notice the kinda cars honda builds....id be a little biased against them too if i didnt try out a honda atv

ZQ8Dude
01-26-2005, 12:13 AM
My point was you have ridden a quad before. I had also I only bought the warrior because it was what I could afford. My point was that the warior is not an outdated piece of crap. I do think yamaha needs to step it up a bit but if it wasn't there what would you get between a blaster and a raptor. Skill level wise I put the yamaha list in this order - blaster, warrior, raptor, yfz & banshee. Anyway my point was the warrior is there for a starter quad in 4-stroke class. It is a good VERY reliable quad with a ton of aftermarket part availability. No it is not equal to the 400ex but that doesn't make it a bad quad.

notice i said thing to bash the raptor/warrior 350?

i was more refering to the shouldnt start at 400ccs. btw before i bought mine, i hadnt ridden any of those previous atvs in 3-4 years.

i think its a decent quad, but i think the motor should have went. or at the very least make it a raptor 400(maybe try and change the stroke a little too so it can wind out faster/higher)

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:21 AM
The warrior/raptor has a mid-seventies two vavle design and the 400ex has a mid-eighties 4 vavle design. They are both outdated. :ermm:

400exrider707
01-26-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Punk'd

:huh Dirtwheels hasn't stopped talking about the YFZ since it came out!? I honestly dont see the favoritism. If you read the whole article there are alwasy explanations for why a machine didn't win a certain shootout. It's just THEIR opinion anyways. Just cause they say something is better doesn't make it true. I really only read the magazine for the tech articles and letters anyways.

exrider416
02-28-2005, 08:12 PM

my 400ex w/ high compression piston,kn filter, full WB exhaust, stage2 cam will leave a stock banshee and beat a piped banshee also.

enduro400rider
03-01-2005, 08:07 AM
even dirtwheels said the 400ex was better then the raptor 350. in the dirt wheels shoot out between the 350 raptor and the 300ex and the 400ex. even the 300ex beat it and this is in dirtwheels they hate honda

397ccEX
03-01-2005, 08:38 AM
The raptor 350 has nothin on a 400ex
Someone said earilier that they had smoked several 400ex's with theri warrior eathier the 400ex was on your trails or didnt know how to ride maybe both

Toadz400
03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd

ATV Sport isn't any better, they favor Yamaha big time in their mag too. They favored it over the ATK in two shootouts! They claimed the ATK felt too much like a 2-stroke and had to be revved to stay in the powerband...sounds like a YFZ to me?:rolleyes:

You can't listen to what the magazines say, they say whatever the people paying them want them to say.

As for the Raptor 350 vs 400ex, there's no comparison. Like Rico said, it's like comparing a Cavilier to a Corvette.

397ccEX
03-03-2005, 05:42 PM
why the hell di dirt wheels even put the 400ex in the raptor 350/300ex shootout:huh

Plante400
03-05-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by PBlackmon

what kind of sally rides a 400ex in 1st and second gear through the woods,, your friends? haha

H_W
03-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by exrider416
my 400ex w/ high compression piston,kn filter, full WB exhaust, stage2 cam will leave a stock banshee and beat a piped banshee also.

I agree, I have done this also.

hemi operator
03-06-2005, 06:40 PM
I believe the Yamaha 350 motor makes about 19-20 HP. I believe the Honda 400 makes about 22-25 HP. The Raptor 350 (which is certainly NOT a Warrior with new plastics!) weighs quite a few lbs less than the 400EX, especially now with reverse on the '05s. Looking at the power-to-weight ratios, it isn't absurd to wonder if the Raptor 350 can keep up with a new 400EX. My friend has an '88 Warrior and even though it doesn't have crazy power, and handles like a tank, that 350 motor is a great one. He did a top end once on his, just because he felt like it. It was running fine. For a 13 year old bike, it does very well.

ZQ8Dude
03-06-2005, 06:45 PM
funny, a dirtwheels test showed the 300ex being faster then warrior i believe? i smoked my friends 300ex, from off the line to the finishline, every second i was putting lengths on him.

crazyelece
03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
The only reason no one gives the warrior/raptor any credit is the old 2 valve design of the motor. But it is one of the reasons they never blow. It is the all time top yamaha seller for a reason - its a good trail quad. Anyone that says any different has never ridden one, period.

H_W
03-07-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by hemi operator
I believe the Yamaha 350 motor makes about 19-20 HP. I believe the Honda 400 makes about 22-25 HP. The Raptor 350 (which is certainly NOT a Warrior with new plastics!) weighs quite a few lbs less than the 400EX, especially now with reverse on the '05s. Looking at the power-to-weight ratios, it isn't absurd to wonder if the Raptor 350 can keep up with a new 400EX.

I remeber seeing a dyno run on G. T. Thunder of a stock warrior and a stock 300ex. The warrior had 17.7 and the 300ex had 16.9 hp. They also had alot of dyno runs for the 400ex. They had the stock 400ex with 29.4 hp but that is the highest I have ever seen for a stock 400ex. On most dynos, they have the stock 400ex at about 27 hp. I think the 27 hp is probably the right one. The new raptor 350 didn't lose enough weight to get the power-to-weight ratio in its favor.

397ccEX
03-07-2005, 06:14 PM
how does your 400ex waste a banshee?
high compression piston is stock bore am i correct
full pipe and stage two cam this is hard to believe
are you talkin about trails?

Toadz400
03-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by 397ccEX

Yea I agree with you.

My friend has a 416, high comp, FCR39 carb, ported and polished, full exhaust and it feels like it's just up to par to my piped Banshee.

And I also own a 400ex, so I'm not being biased towards the Banshee.

GETWINGS
03-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I AGREE THE MOTORS ON THE WARRIOR AND RAPTOR ARE PRETTY GOOD MOTORS IN THEIR DAY .BUT THERE IS SOMETHING TO REMEMBER HERE "RIDE RED" AND EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FALL INTO PLACE.:p

H_W
03-08-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by 397ccEX

I never said my 400 could waste a banshee. I said I can beat stock ones, but it is usually close depending on the rider. I also said that I have beat some piped ones. I have been beaten by some also. Some banshee owners just can't shift properly.

397ccEX
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
So what you were sayin is you have raced and beaten unskilled riders on a banshee! Gotcha

397ccEX
03-09-2005, 03:42 PM
So what you were sayin is you have raced and beaten unskilled riders on a banshee! Gotcha

exrider416
03-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Yea I agree with you.

My friend has a 416, high comp, FCR39 carb, ported and polished, full exhaust and it feels like it's just up to par to my piped Banshee.

And I also own a 400ex, so I'm not being biased towards the Banshee.
i really dont exactly know what is done to my quad, i bought it how it is from a dealer as a trade-in and they told me it had high compression piston and stage2 cam.but i have left alot stock banshee's and beat a couple piped banshee's in a drag at Haspen and at Big Rock.

350raptorguy
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by 416exduner
yea I read that Dirtwheels too, they compare the Raptor 350 to the 300ex and say the 400 is a class above both of those, plus with the 400ex you have endless options as far as aftermarket in the future, should you ever want to get into racing or something you can go all the way up to a 510 kit...but yea the 400 is a good bike. i have an 05 raptor 350, i've raced a couple 300 ex's, beat em all, my buddy just got an 03 400ex, he beat me on that, but no 300 ex has beat me so far, and im all stock

AR15 guy
07-12-2006, 11:42 PM
As far as racing goes you never know what can happen.

I have seen a lot of quads beat quads that they shouldn't.

I have watched a 2003 400ex with K&N, full big gun exhaust, and high compression piston (stock bore). Outrun a 2004 660 raptor with exhaust, filter, and hotcam stage 1.

This wasn't a fluke....they race everytime we ride lol. And the 400ex takes it everytime. It also hands a 2005 KFX400 with full pipe its *** everytime.

It probably shouldn't but it does.

400exstud
07-13-2006, 08:30 AM
Be wise young grasshopper.......... these banshees gain tremendous amounts of horse power with a good set of pipes.

striker1001
07-13-2006, 07:01 PM
I have beaten some banshees too. Mostly stock but some piped. It always completely neck and neck and it all came down to how well we jandled the whoop section in the bvegining of the drag. Id get it at the beggining but it would always catch up. =/

400eXr1d3rZ
07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
This started as a simple question, then turned into "Heaven vs. Hell"

ckasper18
07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by 350raptorguy
i have an 05 raptor 350, i've raced a couple 300 ex's, beat em all, my buddy just got an 03 400ex, he beat me on that, but no 300 ex has beat me so far, and im all stock
Bring that raptor to Wisconsin and race some of the 300ex quads we have around here. Mikes Cycle builds some fast 300ex mx quads no raptor 350 even has a chance

Toadz400
07-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by ckasper18
Bring that raptor to Wisconsin and race some of the 300ex quads we have around here. Mikes Cycle builds some fast 300ex mx quads no raptor 350 even has a chance

What would happen if that same guy built up the Raptor 350's the same way? Just saying...you're comparing apples and oranges.

skoon400ex
07-15-2006, 07:30 PM
i diss agree with the fact that a 400ex is so much better other than its a honda thats the only parts that better but i race a warrior before and he was keeping up with me pretty easly i think it all depends on how u gear it i have a 400ex and i have give a 450r and a 250r good runs

__________________________________________________ __
2004 400ex
fmf titanium 4 slip on
dyno jet kit
k&n with box lid on
stage one hot cams
hinson clutch plate and clutch hub
barrnet clutches

newrider4002001
07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
the 350 raptor is junk it is no math for nething besides a bycycle even then its a close one. but seriously the only yamaha thats gonna beat a 400 ex newhere is the yfz 450 and maybe the 700 raptor.

Toadz400
07-16-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by newrider4002001
the 350 raptor is junk it is no math for nething besides a bycycle even then its a close one. but seriously the only yamaha thats gonna beat a 400 ex newhere is the yfz 450 and maybe the 700 raptor.

:huh Wow...

Yea....how about you need to pay more attention in your freshman English classes and try not to give advice on quads.

troutman561
07-17-2006, 10:11 AM
My 400ex beat my friends piped, camed, high comp piston built camaro in the quarter mile.....