PDA

View Full Version : still need some help-glowing header pipes

platinum350
01-18-2005, 06:33 PM
to summarize: My brothers raptor fell into some deep water. Water got into the engine, I replaced all fluids cleaned carbs and everything well. My problem was that after i finsihed, the header pipes would turn bright red after minutes of starting it(wich it never did before). I posted about this before and I was starting it w/ out the filter. So, I re-oiled the filter put it on and it is still doing it. It sounds good but I know this is not good w/ these pipes.
ANY IDEAS WHAT IT COULD BE?
thanks for any suggestions on this!!

jiggaman2401
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
I dont know how the water would affect it. But the machine is running lean which makes the header pipe glow..

mojoe2878
01-18-2005, 07:28 PM
did you adjust or turn any of the screws on the carb.? check the air/fuel screw and see how many turns out it is.
also make sure you dont have any exhaust header leaks that would be letting it suck air back into the header.
also check all the carb. intake boot connections for air leaks that would cause it to lean out.
im not all to familiar with the raptor motor, but on my yzf250 and yzf450 bikes the header will start to glow red within minutes of cranking it if i dont get on it and ride it,they also over heat quickly if i just let them idle for more than about 5-10 minutes without riding them and getting the air moving thru the raidiator to cool it down.

platinum350
01-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Ok, so I am running lean. I will check the boots, makes sure nothing is loose. I didn't make any adjustments at all and the is no air screw on the raptor, it is covered by a plug. I am afraid to ride it, im afraid to melt something important/expensive on the bike down. Thanks for the suggestions.
If anyone has any others, please let me know!
Thanks,
joe

jiggaman2401
01-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes please do not ride it.. That would be the worst thing you could before you get it fixed.. good luck!

Myrtle150
01-18-2005, 08:02 PM
No...Im still pretty sure thats normal. My friends raptors pipes glow and so does my 400ex's. So unless its runnin crappy its fine

400exrider707
01-18-2005, 11:50 PM
No thats definitely not normal.........

nosliw
01-19-2005, 12:02 AM
where did the bandwagon of people preaching it's ok for headers to glow red come from?

after letting it run for a little bit look at the oil. if it's milky-looking then there's water in there. water in oil means the oil can't lubricate everything good so it's going to be running hotter than normal. i don't know if that would account for the headpipes, but definately the overall higher temp of the engine- if your experiencing that too.

SHARPMACHINE
01-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Because of the lean condition, I would go thru the carbs once again, just incase something worked loose and got in there after you were done. You may also want to add a little bit of dry gas incase their is a few drops of water still in the system. Just an idea.

platinum350
01-19-2005, 07:19 AM
well, I drained the oil and it was still a little white. There is still water in the bottom end. I guess I have to keep changing the oil to get it all out? Is there an easier way, maybe like flushing it out w/ another chemical?
Who knows, maybe like Nosliw says, the engine not cooled enough from the water thats left in the bottom end?????

Myrtle150
01-19-2005, 02:52 PM
well i donno about you guys, but every header Ive ever seen at night has glown..and if im not mistaken, you can flush it out with kerosene which will act as a cleaning solvent too

400exrider707
01-19-2005, 05:56 PM
No they are not supposed to glow red at all. Kero is a good idea though