PDA

View Full Version : gys my computer is F'ed up! help please!

JUSTINcredible
01-18-2005, 04:50 PM
well it goes like this. I turn it on and i always get that blue screen when it scans the C drive or whatever, i let it do that and then it will finish loading my desk top and then it freezes and the hard drive keeps making a sound like it is loading something but nothing is happening and it will just keep doing this and i cant stop it. Its a lap top computer and i still have windows 98 on it. I have been without a computer for weeks now so i finally decided to come up to the library and see if any of you could help me.

Dan_Guetter
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Must be the cold weather:p

JUSTINcredible
01-18-2005, 04:59 PM
today was a heatwave! I bet we got up to 25. damn anything above 5 feels nice now!

big_poppa49
01-18-2005, 05:48 PM
I had a 5 year old computer that got spyware on it. It started running real slow, slow at loading up, slow internet (yeah, with cable) pop-ups, freezing when it started up, etc. so we went and bought a new Emachines with Win XP, D Athlon XP processor, 160gb, CD/dvd burner, 512mb and this thing flyes!! Click and done. Brand new at Best Buy for like $500 give or take dollars.

I read somewhere that old computers are not made for all these up to date programs and will slow it down. Sure enough, just to prove it, I put in the restore disk that came with the old computer and cleaned everything off. Hard drive and everything! Started it up, ran my cable internet and it went fine. Installed my digital camera software, Anti-virus, spyware program, Winmx, cd burning software you know, all the "needs" that I needed for my computer and it ran slow as ever. Bought a new PC, installed all the old software plus some new software and hardware, didn't slow it down a bit. I bet this thing loads up in like 10 sec. max

bulkdriverlp
01-18-2005, 06:36 PM
u got virus or spyware

ballisticpb
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
does the hard drive clunk or grind at all you might have a bad drive. could also be RAM. you say it scannes your drive at every boot. sounds like you could have a bad driver for a piece of hard ware. if it scans every reboot then it is not shuting down. i would update all drivers. starting with video then sound. Do you have any USB devices plugged in???
that could cause shut down issues with windows 98

could also be spyware related as well

Fender Bender
01-18-2005, 07:41 PM
There is obviosly an error on your hard disk that its picking up. Your best bet is to just start over fresh, and reformat. If you do have some shasta to spend, I would upgrade/build your new system.

I would take bigpoppas advice and build an Internet PC for about 380 or less, just look at local computer shops, compare prices. A good system if you arent gaming would be:

Mobo/AMD Sempron 2200+ combo: 110-140
256mb RAM: about 50
Maxtor 80gb hard drive: 79.99 at best buy
Case: HUGE price range, here is mine (only costed me about $60)

http://www.s91678300.onlinehome.us/alex/mycase.jpg

SGA
01-18-2005, 08:15 PM
Win 98? Start windows in safe mode, then go to system file checker and have it do a scan. Have your win 98 disk ready it will prob ask for it to restore corrupted files.

Windows 98 Safe mode

Restart your computer normally by clicking Start/Shutdown and picking Restart instead of shutdown. Then once your computer has started to boot back up hold down the CTRL key (you can also use the SHIFT key if CTRL doesnt work) until the Windows 98 Startup Menu is displayed.

You can also achieve the same effect through following this procedure : Restart your computer as mentioned above but instead of holding down CTRL wait until you see the text "Starting Windows98" and then press F8.

Once at the Windows 98 Startup Menu select the Safe Mode option and press Enter.

System file checker:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/start-142.html